Custom Map #452: The third line of defense [DEMO]

Started by AutoPost, November 14, 2011, 08:01:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

DethbyIT

This is a very tough game and to be successful you are going to have to 'think out of the box' with your very first moves.

It is well worth completing - just for the satisfaction.

dcasso

I liked the map but I would have enjoyed it even more if the amount of creeper in the middle field had been halfed and the same with the launcher and the tech building, 250 is just a waste of time :) make it 100 instead.

But as I said, i liked it and even played it two times (take into account the time it takes to complete :).

koker93

Maps are more fun when the creeper is hard to keep at bay.  Thats never really the case here, not even at the very beginning as soon as you figure out moving the blasters keeps the creeper at bay long enough to build reactors.  as soon as that is done you just have to wait, and wait, and wait.

I love maps with a lot of creeper.  I finished this map, but seriously.  Next time dont put in useless unit restrictions that dont do anything but make the player set up 4 blasters and 4 launchers, because you only allow 4, and wait 30 minutes for the center chamber to clear out.

I've only created one map myself.  And its a LOT simpler than this one.  So pleast take this as the constructive criticism its intended as.  More power and more towers if you are going to include HUGE pools of creeper.

Karsten75

Discussion of tactics and analysis
Spoiler

OK  first off, I didn't open this map in the map editor, I couldn't be bothered.

The first chamber (and starting few minutes) are tremendous fun. That is until one has a beachhead and is able to build out reactors on the upper levels and in the first zig-zag portion of the maze.

Then the annoyances start. Firstly, big deal that you can only build one nullifier at a time. Only reason is to make the map longer and make the player sit there watching stuff.

On to the chambers with the fast-moving squares.   This is where this map enters the absurd. The square moves too fast for launchers to accurately target it, so one is left with anti-creeper and blasters. One cannot dig through to the next level, the creeper in there will pour out and overwhelm any force one can accumulate in  the chamber. What then? Sit there and fight a war of attrition with blasters until such a time as the creeper in the chamber with the techs are exhausted? I surmise that that is what sources that fast-moving square.

Bite me. Not sitting here for that long. There is no challenge in sitting here and waiting. If there was, watching paint dry would have been an Olympic sport.

I recall some guy making 2-hour long maps in CW1. These maps smack of that.
[close]

RichieRich

Karsten

Spoiler
Those fast moving squares cant be destroyed until you clear the chamber below. You can break through on the right hand side only and work across.
[close]

Apart from getting the techs which was a slog, I thought this was a superb map.

fitz

One of the best ever maps. It's not often you can improve your score by 30 minutes by playing a second time.

DethbyIT

Quote from: fitz on November 15, 2011, 06:26:44 AM
One of the best ever maps. It's not often you can improve your score by 30 minutes by playing a second time.

@fitz - great comment!
When I get the time, I'm going back in there myself. Tough map, but well worth playing (again).
dbit

speedy123sil

i have fun with all your maps but this one is HARD i love the chalage the other ones give but this one with those squares was TO hard. i have played it multiplu time and have not thought of how to kill them... it seems they are getting reinforced by some fields i can't see and after 30 minutes of full blaster speed and 10 of them it only went down 500k.... ya i thinks something is wrong there.... ???
creeper is here. it's here now. it will not last forever.

DethbyIT

Speedy - just ignore that "speedy" block of Creeper - you can't do anything about it.
Build up your power and weapons and go down to the next chamber (it is going to be tough) and clear out the entire thing.

Those blocks of speedy creeper are being fed by the chamber in the middle.

Edit - RichieRich mentioned this in his 'Spoiler' above.

Kithros

I guess I'm not really seeing why this map is getting all this praise  - to me it seems like just a big slog with nothing truly threatening in it.

Karsten75

Quote from: Kithros on November 15, 2011, 05:45:57 PM
I guess I'm not really seeing why this map is getting all this praise  - to me it seems like just a big slog with nothing truly threatening in it.

Bingo. But I can't say more then some people will probably jump on my case again.

CJY101

When I see ....David beats Goliath....
This is how long time .., just only prolonged the time the map?
why?
( If the translation is not good, don't care, please ) ; My custom maps: 101 mission

SmileyCoder

I for one find it to be an original use of fields, to use the fields to keep a moving creeper constantly supplied, so you have to fight around it.

That said, I also do agree with others that the big room supplying the creeper could have had less creeper.

Overall, once I got an understanding of the map, I found it to be a interesting map, and I even replayed it to improve my score.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.