Custom Map #2375: The End of Angel..? (Nuclear Explosion(s) if you kill Angel! :D)

Started by AutoPost, July 20, 2013, 01:40:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

Angel

@Karsten's mod comment
I left a holocube that says to keep the gateway that digs. You don't need to keep the one that digs in the beginning. There's one behind a 25 terrain with the holocube in-front of it

EDIT: If you mean the remnant right before 'Angel' then yes, I did put that trap there. I did in a couple other maps too. I'm not the type of person who's gonna give you unlimited AC with even more AC for zero price to pay. No fun that way.
All of my maps take a few things:
1. Patience.
2. Saving often/trying different things every time.
3. Knowing that the simple is always wrong.
4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate. :D

Zaggy

I only had 7 conversion bombs at the end.  Do I need more?  Or am I missing a different way to take out the Nexus?

ea3401

Quote from: Zaggy on July 24, 2013, 02:28:14 AM
I only had 7 conversion bombs at the end.  Do I need more?  Or am I missing a different way to take out the Nexus?
You don't need conversion bombs for the Nexi below.

Angel

Quote from: Zaggy on July 24, 2013, 02:28:14 AM
I only had 7 conversion bombs at the end.  Do I need more?  Or am I missing a different way to take out the Nexus?

I had about the same ammount. Just spread them out after the drones die. But get a 100m or so AC (fields push it against the wall) and then fill it up with blasters, drones die, send your CBs out, and it makes it a lot easier (and time efficient). But like ea said, you don't need them, but it will take a lot longer!
1. Patience.
4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate. :D

Karsten75

This should come with a health warning.  There is a distinct possibility that exploding a nucleus won't actually destroy all the creeper in that upper, enclosed chamber. Nor will it destroy all the other nuclei. Multiple attempts to destroy the nuclei will result in a game hang.

Angel

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 25, 2013, 12:51:11 AM
This should come with a health warning.  There is a distinct possibility that exploding a nucleus won't actually destroy all the creeper in that upper, enclosed chamber. Nor will it destroy all the other nuclei. Multiple attempts to destroy the nuclei will result in a game hang.

Nexus exploding does NOT destroy all creeper on the map. IT destroys, emitters, gateways, and possibly, if not too many, other nexi. Once you destroy the nexi that you have to destroy to get to the others, "Angel's" nexus WILL blow up with it, meaning no creeper can activate the others. Lag does take over every time a mass detonation goes off. But it shuld only be about 5 or 6 from what I remember.
1. Patience.

shoeface

Hint: Not looking at the exploding nexi will severly reduce the lag.

Karsten75

Quote from: Angel on July 25, 2013, 11:46:33 AM

Nexus exploding does NOT destroy all creeper on the map. IT destroys, emitters, gateways, and possibly, if not too many, other nexi. Once you destroy the nexi that you have to destroy to get to the others, "Angel's" nexus WILL blow up with it, meaning no creeper can activate the others. Lag does take over every time a mass detonation goes off. But it shuld only be about 5 or 6 from what I remember.

This is where you are wrong. The intent of killing the Nexus is (was) that it would kill and destroy all enemy structures and all creeper on the map. There is a weird little glitch where creeper movement in a frame could move some creeper into a cell that had been cleared and thus that Creeper would remain and had to be manually cleared up. I'm suspecting that your map glitch like that, but the problem is that one can't get there to clear it up.

And it *did* hang. I had 6 or so Dark Beams firing at the various rows of Nexii and eventually it just hung. No processor on taskmanager, nothing. I even left, went to the bathroom and on my return it was just in the same state.

And this map, while relatively clever, is just too much of a slog to want to play again. Once I know how to beat down the four corner emitters, it is a boring process to move around with my LS so I have light on all the corners, with minimal energy, to destroy the gateways.

Then more of the same minimal energy/range to invade the chamber where you have the beacon tech. Then a rush with the makers to neutralize the creeper below the tech and then a quick dash to get the shield so I can block the AC that will flip into Creeper. Then a slog thought dense, but ultimately ineffective drones (several times). Then a boring wait to fill up a wall of AC and enough makers to sustain it.

All of this to find that you went OTT on Nexii (for no discernible purpose). the top nexus that emits drones is no real thread if I have enough "stuff" in that room. Blasters set to "Drones only" and mortars for the Creeper emissions. I dig down, get the DB tech and build two beams - one pointing up to squelch the drones coming out and one down to destroy one of the inactive ones down.

Then a huge explosion, and I'm left with a bunch of inactive Nexii. Build a few more DBs, destroy more Nexii and then ... hang.  No thanks.

knucracker

When a nexus explodes it attempts to destroy all emitters, gateways, drones, and other nexii.  It also runs through the entire creeper array and sets any value greater than 0 to 0.  So it should nuke all Creeper on the map, but not any anticreeper.

That's ideally, and it for sure does that.  But... there is always a 'but'.  If the nexus is evaluated in a given game frame prior to the evaluation of an emitter, for instance, then the emitter could emit creeper 'after' the Nexus has exploded.  So all of the creeper gets destroyed, and some small amount put back... all in one frame.

So the intent is to blow all of the bad guys up but under the right circumstances some of the Creeper can escape ultimate destruction....  Very "Creeper like", don't you think.  Even I succumb to the Loki as I couldn't destroy all of the Creeper... and I wrote the code :)

Angel

Quote from: Karsten75 on July 25, 2013, 02:16:36 PM

And it *did* hang. I had 6 or so Dark Beams firing at the various rows of Nexii and eventually it just hung. No processor on taskmanager, nothing. I even left, went to the bathroom and on my return it was just in the same state.

And this map, while relatively clever, is just too much of a slog to want to play again. Once I know how to beat down the four corner emitters, it is a boring process to move around with my LS so I have light on all the corners, with minimal energy, to destroy the gateways.

Then more of the same minimal energy/range to invade the chamber where you have the beacon tech. Then a rush with the makers to neutralize the creeper below the tech and then a quick dash to get the shield so I can block the AC that will flip into Creeper. Then a slog thought dense, but ultimately ineffective drones (several times). Then a boring wait to fill up a wall of AC and enough makers to sustain it.

All of this to find that you went OTT on Nexii (for no discernible purpose). the top nexus that emits drones is no real thread if I have enough "stuff" in that room. Blasters set to "Drones only" and mortars for the Creeper emissions. I dig down, get the DB tech and build two beams - one pointing up to squelch the drones coming out and one down to destroy one of the inactive ones down.

Then a huge explosion, and I'm left with a bunch of inactive Nexii. Build a few more DBs, destroy more Nexii and then ... hang.  No thanks.

(by paragraph)
1. You look scroll away from the explosion and reduces lag as shoeface pointed out, don't let 6 nexi blow up (from DBs) at the same time, other wise, WAY to many nexi blow up and it CAN and WILL crash your game.

2. If you are talking about where the "missile" appears later on, then that emitter&gateway are relativly easy. And once the AC starts teleporting (at 15:00) it holds off the "missile" on it's own and gives you AC for the next chamebr.

3. That was the challenge in the beginning. You make due with minimal energy against an enemy who has more "energy" (power/creeper) than you do. So you have to use ALL your energy wisely. And use a lot of AC (there is a field pushing it in the cell the C teleports to)

4. The nexus that emitters SOME creeper and drones is a challenge. Something I'm sure almost nobody, if anyone, has ever attempted and posted. You fight a nexus w/o experimenals. It is a real challenge. All you need are 4 collums of blasters and as many AC makers that you can afford. Slowly push forward, surpress the emitter and drones and you can grab the DB.

5. Look away before every explosion and only keep 1 or 2 DBs shooting so not a lot of nexus blow up and crash the game.

Also, the reason I put so many nexi down there is it representing Angel's armory of nexi in which you need to destroy in order to destroy him. And the thing about nexi, they are usually the last thing you destroy, so there is usually no creeper above or below to see if it gets destroyed or not. And there aren't 100+ structures that it needs to destroy.

Edit: Or is it just my maps that creeper exists after a nexus blowing up? A lot of it! ;D
1. Patience.

dwb

> 4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate.

Someone is confused.

Angel

Quote from: dwb on July 30, 2013, 06:05:23 PM
> 4. Love for your great Angel who spends hours and possibly days on maps that people hate.

Someone is confused.

Yup! :P That was put there as a joke.
1. Patience.

TomCat

Making a map a real challenge to win is not that difficult at all. Anyone can do that. You can do it regarding the time the player gets to get on top of things before the 'point of no return' catches up with him, or by depriving him of energy in such a way that a certain routine needs to be followed to cope with it, or... each providing a specific challenge. You however seriously go overboard on the whole spectre of possibilities and, mind you, I strongly emphasize, there is no reason at all to be proud about making a map like the one you made!

You made the equivalent of an 'Age of Empires' map where the player needs to destroy 300 castles, one right next to the other, with a single catapult. Bravo! So incredibly boring!!!!! I'm guessing that's NOT what you aimed for! And if it is, here's an idea for you... Why not make a map completely filled with Nexusses except for the tiny space the ship needs? Does that kind of thing really project the bulk of your imagination making maps?

Making a map that's fun playing, or interesting, now there's a real challenge! You should try it sometime.

Angel

Quote from: TomCat on November 20, 2013, 01:39:25 PM
Making a map a real challenge to win is not that difficult at all. Anyone can do that. You can do it regarding the time the player gets to get on top of things before the 'point of no return' catches up with him, or by depriving him of energy in such a way that a certain routine needs to be followed to cope with it, or... each providing a specific challenge. You however seriously go overboard on the whole spectre of possibilities and, mind you, I strongly emphasize, there is no reason at all to be proud about making a map like the one you made!

You made the equivalent of an 'Age of Empires' map where the player needs to destroy 300 castles, one right next to the other, with a single catapult. Bravo! So incredibly boring!!!!! I'm guessing that's NOT what you aimed for! And if it is, here's an idea for you... Why not make a map completely filled with Nexusses except for the tiny space the ship needs? Does that kind of thing really project the bulk of your imagination making maps?

Making a map that's fun playing, or interesting, now there's a real challenge! You should try it sometime.

Awww. You're so sweet. Thank you for saying that in rude way man. I feel the love <3

And Tom, btw, my maps are generally long and take time to complete. They really are for when you wanna kill some time. They are difficult, long, and are meant to annoy you with a lot of tricks. Being where "Angel" was, it wasn't gonna be a walk-in-the-park map. It was going to be long and difficult. If you like challenges or have spare time, you generally should play my maps as that's what they are. And a lot of people do play them for that reason. As many people have commented on maps of mine before, they either really love it or hate it. There isn't much between space there. Don't play it if you don't have a lot of time, or you want an easy map. That's all there is to it. Don't play it if you don't like my maps or long/difficult maps.
1. Patience.