Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1900: Firetrip 08

Author: Firetrip

Desc:
GOOD LUCK!

Helper

@Firetrip,

I was enjoying this game all the way to the end. After I uncovered the Gateways at the bottom, I sat here waiting for the packets to clear the 'x' blocks. It was a nasty surprise to realize what you had done.

Is there some reason for using one of the upper Gateways - without giving any sort of clue to the players?

teknotiss

Quote from: Helper on January 19, 2013, 05:58:10 PM
@Firetrip,

I was enjoying this game all the way to the end. After I uncovered the Gateways at the bottom, I sat here waiting for the packets to clear the 'x' blocks. It was a nasty surprise to realize what you had done.

Is there some reason for using one of the upper Gateways - without giving any sort of clue to the players?

ditto  ::)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Coradon

Exactly. I just closed the game and went and cried for a while..

Helper

Just as an FYI - when you finally clear the ground for the last two capsules, here is what the dig Packets look like.

Firetrip

@Firetrip,

I can understand that you are angry for my little joke, but ..... the enemies don't have the duty to facilitate the opponents

It's a war!

But I promise ... will not happen again

teknotiss

Quote from: Firetrip on January 21, 2013, 01:25:41 PM
@Firetrip,

I can understand that you are angry for my little joke, but ..... the enemies don't have the duty to facilitate the opponents

It's a war!

But I promise ... will not happen again

really? you see mapping as a "war"?
personally i like to give players options on how to complete a map so they can just have fun. the gateway trick doesn't add fun, or difficulty, it just makes you either
a: reload, or
b: quit the map and play another.
in this maps case a general warning about one of the gateways has dig packets, but not telling us which would have got the same result (keeping all gateways, just in case) without annoying a bunch of players.
not angry either, just a bit annoyed that i can't now be bothered to play an otherwise fun map
later dude
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Grauniad

I'm sure Firetrip referred to the map player vs enemy Creeper as a "war", not map making.

It is a sympathetic point of view and bear in mind the old adage "all's fair in love and war."

In some small way, I think map makers are justified in tricking map players. I can understand (and sympathize with) player's getting "map rage" after playing for a long while, only to realize they have been tricked. It is, however, also a victory for "the other side."

If there are no lost battles, it ain't no war.
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teknotiss

i may have misunderstood firetrips statement, if so my apologies, and it's not that i mind tricks, it's just that sort of thing isn't so much trickery as irritating.
anyway, i've said my piece

Grauniad

I could make a crude analogy, but I will refrain. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Firetrip

As has wrote Grauniad

"It's a war" is referred at the game; the ship versus creeper.; not for the mapping sure!

I'm apologize, when I created the map "Firetrip 08" was my intention insert one warning but .... I forgot .... after upload the map i found my mistake but .... it was too later to remedy.

teknotiss

no worries, and if you do that in future you can fix it (you'll need to sub a new score) and upload the fixed one with a comment for us mapmods to reject the first one (in the box below the email address on the submissions page).
i've had to do this at least once, perhaps more, i forget!  ;)
looking forwards to the next map too, i've liked all of yours, barring this one, so far.
cheers dude

yum-forum

Quote from: teknotiss on January 21, 2013, 04:23:57 PM
no worries, and if you do that in future you can fix it (you'll need to sub a new score) and upload the fixed one with a comment for us mapmods to reject the first one (in the box below the email address on the submissions page).

I did this way (with comment to moderator), but remains 2 maps (1334 and 1341).  ;)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

yum-forum

Quote from: Coradon on January 19, 2013, 10:24:37 PM
Exactly. I just closed the game and went and cried for a while..
Absolutely the same as me!  :) But then I opened map in editor, find dig gateway and played again.
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last