Custom Map #1387: teks18 Mega Drone Madness

Started by AutoPost, August 26, 2012, 07:01:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1387: teks18 Mega Drone Madness

Author: teknotiss

Desc:
someone left a drone gateway to deal with.... oh snap! How much health????

Coradon

Ok, I made up this huge, well done back and forth setup of dual dark beams, was set to double team some monster drone with massive health. I pop that last block to let it loose and the thing died in like 3 seconds, before even entering my setup.....

Suggestion. Instead of 5,000 health, give it 50-100k health. Then it would actually be a challenge. Something that forces you to maximize the time it has to be dark beamed. You give us 160,000 energy crystals which are not even used.

teknotiss

wow something didn't go right then.
when i was play testing i had 1 dbeam down the center and one zigzagging back and forth. the drones were just stopped short of the prebuilt DBeam. drone health is all 4000

could you send me a save if you still have one, so i can try to replicate it?

if i was to do a 50k+ health drone i'd have to change the map quite a lot to give the player time to kill it, i had thought this one was just about right, but obviously not.  ;)
yeah i went overboard with the crystals, i know, sorry.  :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Cavemaniac

Quote from: teknotiss on August 27, 2012, 12:05:29 PM

i had 1 dbeam down the center and one zigzagging back and forth.

I didn't even think of that - I just went straight for the kill!

I built a micro-rift near the gateway so as to have a faster nullifier build time, and of course the drones made a bee-line for it, necessitating shutting it down...

... which kept the drone in the line of fire  of the DB for longer.

;)
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

teknotiss

i figured some dudes would do the old drone teasing trick  ::), but i don't know how the first poster did an insta-kill on a 4000 health drone, would love to know how!  :D
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Coradon

I don't have a save any longer, but I will attempt to recreate exactly what I did.

teknotiss

cool cheers dude, just a screenshot of what you were doing that let you win so easily would help me avoid that in future. thanks again  :D

Coradon

There is the screenshot and I also attached the saved game. This is the identical setup as my first run thru this map. As you can see, I barely lost 2 mirrors and it only made it around that first corner. There was no need to build a 2nd DB.

Just realized that in this replay, I never added the rift to the spot where the other gate was. Placing a rift there makes the packets arrive fast enough to destroy the drone gate before a 2nd drone emerges.

teknotiss

yeah i suppose you can chalk that one up to "out-thought" the map author.
never considered that people would play that way, but i left out solid walls as guide cos i don't like to force people into one way of finishing, plus i get to (hopefully) improve the fun level of my maps when dudes like you tell me where i went wrong.
i see how i failed there! thanks man, i'll try to avoid that in future  8)

Cavemaniac

I liked the way you had prebuilt units clipped to the walls, while new units had to be built upright.

That was a trap for the unwary! On my first try I planned to build my reactors the same way as the first ones - then discovered the crystals made reactors unneeded.

Way fun map dude - make more!

Thanks to Coradon for sharing his technique and screenshots - it always interesting to see how others play/solve problems.

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Coradon

You didn't really fail. My method wouldn't work for anyone wanting a fast time. And if you had increased the drone spawn rate by just a little, my method would have failed most likely.

Bongo

I think there is a subtlety here about Dark Beams and Drones. I'm not sure (because it's hard to replicate) but if two Drones are EXACTLY in the same spot then a Dark Beam will hit them both. I played this a couple of times and by the time I dug to the end there were always at least 2 Drones there. Sometimes the Dark Beam would kill them easily 4  spaces from the Ship. Other times it would hit one Drone while the other was protected.

Just a thought.

teknotiss

i thought i noticed that too, hmm i suppose since item units can be stacked so can drone units and the DBeam just does 15 point damage per frame regardless, so it would make sense if it is the case.
virgil could prob answer but he might get grumpy if we disturb his coding meditations  ;) and i might get trolled off the forums if i delay CW3 with minor queries :D

J

When playing around with a nexus you can also see that, if they move horizontally (DB vertical) the DB could hit them both even when not exactly in the same place. When there's terrain around a pre-spawned nexus a DB could hit all drones that are stuck on top of the nexus at the same time.

So yes a DB could hit multiple drones