Help me find some specific maps

Started by Karsten75, August 21, 2010, 12:44:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karsten75

I need some help. I'm looking for some maps where game authors designed it so that thre are a number of totems positioned so that they drain Odin City of energy during the early stages of the game. Often these maps have 4 (or more) totems surrounding Odin cisty on start-up, like this map has: Mission Moon.

Sqaz

Karsten75

thanks, any more? That one was hard. I cannot imagine how people beat it early on.

Karsten75

OK, using the previous map Virgil has been able to identify a bug in the "packet types" mod. I'd like a few more maps that start with a massive deficit (of either kind - ammo, building or totems [my fave]) to test further. So if you come across another map like that, I'd appreciate it.

If the list is here, then after the release of the update, you can all play these maps and see how your scores can improve. I promise not to play the maps to the best of my ability for the score I'm posting, just so there's room at the top for when the mod is generally available.

Sqaz

You can also just make a massive start deficit map yourself, that seems a lot easier.

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on August 21, 2010, 11:37:21 AM
You can also just make a massive start deficit map yourself, that seems a lot easier.

That may be so, but it is really the actual play that exposed some things.

Anyway, here is a map I also tested on. I managed to improve my own score substantially, but didn't beat the top scores. Here I turned off both ammo and totems packets while building up energy. The initial energy deficit was not as high as on maps where I improved score by a lot and here the ammo control could be simulated by removing the blasters from the high walls. However, it was possible to send the drones on missions and to have them not refuel on return. (also possible with the "Q" option on each drone, which gives better granularity in that you an arm a single drone). Turning on the packet control cause a flood of ammo packets to rush out, putting me in a severe deficit  that was not an issue, since I wasn't building anything at that time.  Likewise I waited too long to turn on totem control and flooded out with too many totem packet requests.

Sqaz

Quote from: Karsten75 on August 21, 2010, 12:07:16 PM

Which things actually, I can't imagine what can go wrong, and certainly the fact that you can't see it on a self-made map  ???

Karsten75

Quote from: Sqaz on August 21, 2010, 12:13:44 PM
Quote from: Karsten75 on August 21, 2010, 12:07:16 PM

Which things actually, I can't imagine what can go wrong, and certainly the fact that you can't see it on a self-made map  ???

Leave it. I was simply asking players to help me find a specific map, I wasn't soliciting your imagination nor do I want to discuss bugs that has been found and fixed.

Edit: Instead of spending time making maps that may or may not need tweaking, I simply find it easier to use maps that I know works and then play them to see if the mod works as expected and if there are side effects that may not have been anticipated.

As a courtesy to other players, I'm also listing those maps here so that they can also replay them to boost their scores when the mod is generally available.