Weekly 5-map Tournament - Highest Mountains - Closing 7-31-2011

Started by mopa42, July 25, 2011, 12:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mopa42

All Tournaments
Code Map Scoreboard
Tournament Score Tool

This week's theme is Highest Mountains in the World, chosen by mopa42.

Map Name:Size:Complexity:Height:
Mount EverestMediumMedium8,848 m / 29,029 ft
K2SmallHigh8,611 m / 28,251 ft
KangchenjungaLargeHigh8,586 m / 28,169 ft
LhotseSmallMedium8,516 m / 27,940 ft
MakaluLargeLow8,485 m / 27,838 ft

Let's go thrash some creeper!

Measure

mopa42

Quote from: Measure on July 25, 2011, 07:00:51 PM
K2 is going to be the death of me.
I considered not including it, since the field combined with the drones looked really tough. But I was feeling evil (cackles).
However, the map is entirely doable. If you get too stuck I can upload a hint.

Measure

Quote from: mopa42 on July 25, 2011, 09:22:39 PM
Quote from: Measure on July 25, 2011, 07:00:51 PM
K2 is going to be the death of me.
I considered not including it, since the field combined with the drones looked really tough. But I was feeling evil (cackles).
However, the map is entirely doable. If you get too stuck I can upload a hint.

I think I have a handle on it now, have a saved game at work that I should be able to finish without a problem. Will have to try a couple of different strategies to see if I can figure out how to get a halfway decent score on it.

florrat

Okay, this is the first tournament where I can do a serious attempt (last two weeks I was busy with other stuff). These are my scores after trying each map once (with a few restarts/loading save files of course). I will try K2 again later.
I'm currently #1  ;D :o. In the case I would win this tournament: I do not have acces to internet sometime near the deadline, so the runner-up should pick the next theme.

Scores for florrat

Map Name:Size:Complexity:Score:Time:
Mount EverestMediumMedium11448
7:26
K2SmallHigh11514
9:15
KangchenjungaLargeHigh10394
13:13
LhotseSmallMedium12212
4:47
MakaluLargeLow12688
3:55
Total:58256
38:35

PS: Great program, mopa42!
PPS: I'm strongly in favour of Measures suggestion that the winner should pick the theme of the tournament which starts a week later. Then the winner has some time to think of a theme, and is not forced to do this on Monday. Also, the participants do not have to wait on Mondays until the theme is known.
Quote from: Lord_Farin on July 25, 2011, 12:25:48 PM
I think this is a good idea. However we would have to think about a solution for the one-week gap that would exist when this gets implemented
We can do it the following way: There is one tournament where the winner decides the theme of the next tournament (in the one-week gap), and the runner-up decides the tournament which is one week later.
Quote from: Colin on July 25, 2011, 12:40:32 PM
The rules for these tournaments have already been addressed
and readdressed when we used to do them for CW1, see here.

According to these rules, Fisherck will choose the maps, and
if he wins again? 2nd place and so forth.

Also, if we 'know' which maps will be featured in the next
tournament, what stops us from getting ahead? This is why
it is kept secret until it is publicly released then everyone
has an equal amount of time to complete the maps.
In my opinion, you can just make the theme public, and already start a thread of that tournament on, say, Saturday. Then there are two tournaments open at that time, but that's not a problem, in my opinion.

UpperKEES

Quote from: florrat on July 26, 2011, 05:53:09 PM
the winner should pick the theme of the tournament which starts a week later. Then the winner has some time to think of a theme, and is not forced to do this on Monday. Also, the participants do not have to wait on Mondays until the theme is known.

Just think of your theme in advance when you're at the #1 spot or close to it. If you don't make it, save it for the next opportunity. If you're not available on Monday just PM your choice to ThePenguin.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

florrat

Quote from: UpperKEES on July 27, 2011, 02:01:40 AM
Just think of your theme in advance when you're at the #1 spot or close to it. If you don't make it, save it for the next opportunity. If you're not available on Monday just PM your choice to ThePenguin.
That's also possible. I will do that for this week, but I'm still in favour of picking the tournament one week later.
If I win, I'll post some screenies Thursday or Friday next week.

Evil Roc

Got far from brilliant results this time, made a number of misplays and miscalculations around, but no time to replay it properly. Anyway

Map Name:Size:Complexity:Score:Time:
Mount EverestMediumMedium11597
6:19
K2SmallHigh11692
8:37
KangchenjungaLargeHigh10273
14:19
LhotseSmallMedium12068
5:05
MakaluLargeLow12593
4:33
Total:58223
38:53

Maps were quite interesting (and these 2 on high complexity not very easy).

thepenguin

Tournament Results

RankPlayerTotal Score
1.florrat58881
2.Evil Roc58223
3.jlog57826
4.Lord_Farin56804
5.Katra56500
6.Measure55152
7.BrYK54282
8.Koker9354277
9.Xing49256
10.Simon44107*
11.bmaw32340779*
12.RichieRich35435*
13.Colin21069*
14.Nate Dog20761*
15.BoostBreed7510454*
16.HvA9372*

* Did not finish all maps.
We have become the creeper...

florrat

Here are a few screenshots. I didn't make screenshots on the first try, and I didn't try every map more than once, so I don't have screenshots for every map.

First four screenshots are of "Mount Everest". Since the complexity was just medium, I also used makers to attack the creeper, and didn't use that much launchers. After the fourth screenshot I attacked the creeper at the right side of the map, and after nullifying the emitter in the left I moved these units to the bottom-left to attack there.
I don't have screenshots of K2, but I digged first at the left of the map, taking some crystals, and then pushed the creeper to the right, using blasters, launchers and repulsors.
I don't have screenshots of Kangchenjunga either, but I nullified the surface emitter quickly, before the creeper at the left broke free. Then I pushed the creeper on the left down. When I reached the creeper field, I also made shields when the field pointed downward, so that I didn't have to retreat when the field pointed up.
The last screenshot is of Makalu. I used blasters and makers to move down as fast as possible. I could probably improve my time when I made some tech domes to improve packet speed.