AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2070: CSM 2: The Climb

Author: Fireswamp
Size: 150x150

Fireswamp

Finally finished the second CSM!

Updates:

• Numbered Stargates have been added.
  • Boss Emitters have been added.  They are however in an incomplete state, notably UI elements are not implemented.
  • Hover stats for Emitters.
  • Creeper Emitters drop an ERN on death.
  • Blocked stargates show their colour instead of black.
  • Level 1 terrain is now grey so all units are more clearly visible on it.
  • Torp range indicator implemented; will only show the range if you have 1 Torp selected and does not show on unit creation.
  • Teleporting stargate blockers should be fixed.
  • Power Tower backend has been rewritten.
One new enemy, one new tool; other than that it is mostly UI stuff.

I am probably forgetting something important, but I wish everyone good luck and have fun playing this map!

svartmes

Great map! As a fan of CW3 CSM maps it feels very true and got all the features in. Very good puzzle-style progression design of the map.

The main problem is the wavy nature of CW4 creeper movement wich still makes it feel less...tactile than in CW3 but theres not much to be done about that I guess.
If I were to nitpick I think maybe the gates could be even more differentiated, maybe use "better" colors and/or different geometric shapes (squares, stars, etc) ?

CS Z

It is possible to get into an unwinnable situation like I did.  I completed everything except for one section that is just the right terrain height to make it impossible to win.

Stargate covers should also be able to cover emitters.

Hatsee

Not sure on yours as I can't see clearly but yeah there is a bug where you can make the terrain unchangeable. 

I think it had to do with swapping heights higher then lower, or maybe it assigns a really far away terp to change it?  Not sure exactly.

Durikkan

Quote from: CS Z on July 28, 2021, 11:29:20 AM
It is possible to get into an unwinnable situation like I did.  I completed everything except for one section that is just the right terrain height to make it impossible to win.

Stargate covers should also be able to cover emitters.

So it's lowered but the terrain is still high, or it just doesn't want to terraform?  The opening screen mentions using custom0 to force reset the terrain properties if something breaks, did you try that? 

Or- if there's just creeper covering it, make a floodgate and raise the terrain to force ac on top of it. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Fireswamp

Quote from: Hatsee on July 28, 2021, 01:25:47 PM
Not sure on yours as I can't see clearly but yeah there is a bug where you can make the terrain unchangeable. 

I think it had to do with swapping heights higher then lower, or maybe it assigns a really far away terp to change it?  Not sure exactly.

Neither of those should be able to cause the issue; trying to track it down now.  If a torp has a target it will go terraform it, the range check is only on finding a target, so the issue should be that a target was cleared but the TerraformingActiveCell for the cell was not cleared.  Hopefully I just need to figure out which part of the code I forgot to add that clear to.

edit: Found it; forgot to clear the TerraformingActiveCell when a terraform operation is cancelled while a torp is actively terraforming it.

mzimmer74

I really enjoyed this map...thanks for making it. Definitely hope to see more of these!

There were two things that I would have liked to be different. First, I really struggled finding the stargate blockers once they were in the stargate. It's a visual thing and I may be the only one who had that issue. Still, it made for a challenge when I wanted to move them.

The second issue is about the blocked stargates as well. I love that I can hover over a stargate and see what "connected" gates there are. However, that functionality doesn't work when they are blocked. There is no way to tell what's going to happen when I move the block as the lines don't show up when they are blocked. This requires moving it, checking the lines, and then moving it back when needed. I'd like to be able to see that a particular block would be bad to move as it's connected to an unsafe area.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.