Inconsistent crash from destroyed units.

Started by Vertu, May 27, 2022, 12:17:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vertu

Sorry to be a bother again but after hours of testing, this actual crash is something I can't figure out how to solve though I believe I know the cause of it.
In the event too many V-Rods explode in a chain reaction the game crashes. I tried reducing the amount of effects created on destruction (which would cause massive lag normally) but to no benefit (consider it becoming 1/3 the amount of effects).

Now although this is what I believe to be happening there are some issues.

• It is not caused by quantity of effects. 48+ towers detonating simultaneously is laggy but not crashing. I even removed all effects of the V-Rod and the crash still happens.
  • The crash is not specific to how many V-Rods detonate. The crash happened when 15 rods are in a 5x3 formation and only when one of the corners of the rectangle shape (preferably on a "right side" from when I replicated it else where on the map) are detonated does the crash happen. If 16 rods detonate else where on the map, no crash, even when clumped. However with enough rods in a chain reaction a crash will still occur but the quantity needed is inconsistent. A dense "sphere" of more than 15 rods does not cause crashes.

I would appreciate if the cause of this crash can be identified.
I have spent hours testing what causes  the crash and can conclude, it is inconsistent but easily replicated.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

GoodMorning

A crash has been intercepted by the crash handler. For call stack and other details, see the latest crash report generated in:
* C:/Users/erykg/AppData/Local/Temp/Knuckle Cracker/Creeper World 4/Crashes

You are about to be asked for a copy of this file, if knu decides to take more time away from other things to look at this. Probably polite to be proactive about including that.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Vertu

Quote from: GoodMorning on May 27, 2022, 11:32:28 AM
A crash has been intercepted by the crash handler. For call stack and other details, see the latest crash report generated in:
* C:/Users/erykg/AppData/Local/Temp/Knuckle Cracker/Creeper World 4/Crashes

You are about to be asked for a copy of this file, if knu decides to take more time away from other things to look at this. Probably polite to be proactive about including that.
Thanks.
I assume it was just quantity of things breaking the game, easy to fix in-game, but its inconsistency makes me wonder of otherwise.
I am very mindful of how it takes time to look at this kind of stuff from players. I would be more than happy to wait with my utmost patients for something minor like this.
Though I can't provide the Crash.dmp due to unsupported file type.
Life isn't fair because we say it isn't. Not because it is unfair. In fact, it is so fair we want to say it isn't and do.

Builder17

Quote from: Vertu on May 29, 2022, 10:37:09 PM

Could try zipping it, but no idea if it's too big of a file though.

Vertu

Quote from: Builder17 on May 31, 2022, 10:07:36 AM
Quote from: Vertu on May 29, 2022, 10:37:09 PM

Could try zipping it, but no idea if it's too big of a file though.
Good idea.

The Apocalyptic

In the meantime, a workaround is that you can warn players in advance about the crash and advise them to NEVER create rows of V-rods in excess of 4 structures without at least 1 tower-width in between.

Not an issue with my play style for using V-Grid in custom maps, though.

Vertu