This topic is for discussion of map #1216: the places we go

Author: strange19023

Desc:
number 4,UFO number 5,whos there number 6,shield wall

Helper

Really clever game.
Thanks for making it.

viper00900

I know there's a way to beat this, but I am not seeing it.  Could use a little more power or remanents in my view.  But otherwise looks good, will post again when I beat it :P
Wait until you see this --- oh wait....nevermind

RichieRich

Great map. Tough first few minutes.

More please  :P

Helper

Quote from: viper00900 on June 18, 2012, 07:33:54 PM
I know there's a way to beat this, but I am not seeing it.

I got severely beat up on several times before figuring out a way to win (an ugly win, but a win).
Let us know if you want a 'Spoiler'.

TheDanimal

Quote from: Helper on June 19, 2012, 05:31:34 AM
Quote from: viper00900 on June 18, 2012, 07:33:54 PM
I know there's a way to beat this, but I am not seeing it.

I got severely beat up on several times before figuring out a way to win (an ugly win, but a win).
Let us know if you want a 'Spoiler'.

I'm stumped... i have a feeling a clue lies within the description.  A spoiler, or at least a hint, would be appreciated.
Tough map.  Challenging

Helper

My time wasn't so great, but:

Spoiler
As soon as I had some power, I started building a 'chimney' up the left hand side using Shields. A couple of Launchers, some Blasters, and Makers let me work up to that first Emitter and take it out. After you get the first one, life gets real easy.
[close]

TheDanimal

Right after I posted last, I had another go at the map & figured it out.  It's rough to get a good start.  I did the same thing you did.  It was messy & my time sucked, but I got it done. lol

cooltv27

I noticed the description are a few maps by null, same with the last few by this guy, hmmm
I couldn't beat it at all even with the tip helper posted
unrated
uh oh here comes the creeper, QUICK GET SOME BLASTERS READY! wait, wait, wai, FIRE! IM ON FIRE! NO, NO, NO, GET AWA (the rest was taken by the creeper, taken back and eaten)
I has a youtube channel youtube.com/user/cooltv27

Kithros

What I consider to be the best way to deal with maps like these:

Spoiler
Build shields right after a conversion bomb detonates - this applies to many maps with conversion bomb build limits/shortage of energy with conversion bombs. Since you have 3 conversion bombs you can pretty much go straight to the emitters this way once you've built 3 conversion bombs by making a path to them with a wall of shields while the nullifier goes off.
[close]

joshuad156

This was a GREAT map.  It's sad that people thumbs down a map just because of difficulty.

This took me a few tries to get a good starting strategy.  Here's what ended up working for me.

Spoiler
One thing that really helped me was to ignore the left and right most openings until I was ready to go on the offense.  Focus on protecting your rifts (without them you're done) and digging to the gems and AC emitter inside.  Immediately set your AC makers to 4x to help hold off the bad creeper (you start with plenty of AC to dig your way to the emitter) and get a blaster and maker on the 2nd 'dome' where your rift is.  Once you get to the AC emitter, it's really just a matter of digging out, maxing reactors, and pushing up.  Conversion bomb makes the climb quicker, but they aren't necessary.  Also, make sure you get all the weapon range/fire rate and reactor upgrades to make the final push easier on your resources.
[close]

BIG thumbs up from me as I really enjoy maps with an early threat.

Helper

@strange19023,
I've played all of your games and think you have done a great job with them. They require some thinking and planning - which probably accounts for some of the negative votes.

I hope that you will continue making more. We need games that make us think a little bit.

Thanks,

Helper

@Tek -

I started this one again to do a screen grab.
'Kithros' technique is much better than mine, but at least you can see what I meant by 'chimney'.

teknotiss

cool man cheers!  ;D
thats close to what i was trying but i think my position was wrong.
those screenies are very useful cheers dude  ;D

edit: done it. damn that took LOADS of replays.
my problem was the right handside of the main "ac shield", i didn't get extra blasters there soon enough. once i did no problems! 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus