Custom Map #8: Astroid Belt

Started by AutoPost, August 16, 2011, 04:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #8: Astroid Belt

Author: Fisherck

Desc:
With drones to keep you busy in the beginning, the creeper in the astroid will soon break out to wreak havoc if you are not prepared. You will need all the anti-creeper you have got!

fraterpotens

a tough nut to crack, but very fun

Fisherck

Quote from: fraterpotens on August 20, 2011, 05:10:43 PM
a tough nut to crack, but very fun

Thanks. Hopefully the map kept you busy through the entire map, and not just the beginning. ;)
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps
Quote from: Sqaz on August 28, 2011, 02:49:35 PM
The comments are here to comment, dare to use them.

DethbyIT

I have a technique question.
How do you crack the 'streams' of Creeper that run along a wall.
I've brought to bear multiple Launchers and Blasters, but can't seem to break through to get to the bare wall (see attachment).

Do I need more weapons, relocate them somewhere, something else?
Thanks,
dbit

Grabarz

This map was quite hard to go through the first chamber. You need to minimize the amount of weaponry needed to hold the sides, and throw everything else at the middle. I also recommend not upgrading range, because you need to place launchers strategically to shoot that spot. For the middle I used couple of launchers, some blasters, repulsors and a maker to help myself. Make sure to collect ore using makers from other planets, so you have almost infinite storage.

I held left side with a 1x maker, 3 launchers shooting one constantly filling spot and a blaster, and right side with a blaster.

Lord_Farin

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 25, 2011, 09:23:45 AM
I've brought to bear multiple Launchers and Blasters, but can't seem to break through to get to the bare wall (see attachment).

Thanks,
dbit
I would say you need more launchers. And as Grabarz says, you need to place them strategically as they target the densest creeper available.
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

Fisherck

Quote from: DethbyIT on August 25, 2011, 09:23:45 AM

Thanks,
dbit

I don't think you are lacking any fire power, really. I think the main thing you are missing are repulsers. Those can do wonders. Don't underestimate them... ;)
Also, makers come in handy. The vacuum feature lets you pick up all the extra anti-creeper that got sucked into the astroids, which will last a long while. I believe I used 4... :)
EDIT: And if that does not help. I'll post a screenshot of how I do it.
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

DethbyIT

Thank you for all of the comments.
It was too late to change the Technical advantages I selected, but moved the pieces around to focus entirely on the entrance to the lower right chamber.
With 3 Repulsers and one Maker, I was able to work my way in and clear it out. After that, it was just a matter of time to get the others.

Now that I have a technique that I know works, I'll try to go back in there and establish a respectable time (after my eyes quit bleeding).

Fisherck - thanks for another great game. Good stuff.
dbit

UpperKEES

Very nice map!

There's a good purpose for every unit on this one. I guess I should have played it a little differently, but I still forget to save when I'm in the middle of an interesting fight.
My CW1 maps: downloads - overview
My CW2 maps: downloads - overview

Fisherck

Quote from: UpperKEES on September 28, 2011, 03:55:56 PM
Very nice map!

There's a good purpose for every unit on this one. I guess I should have played it a little differently, but I still forget to save when I'm in the middle of an interesting fight.

I think repulsers are especially important in this map (which are usually optional). I always forget to save too (to much CW1) :D
My CW2 Maps
My CW1 Maps

pocketdare

Ok - I can destroy the closest emitter within 2 minutes but I still don't see how to destroy the 20,000k emitter at the upper right without experimentals. Now if it were only 2000k the map would be challenging but fun... but as it is... insantity!  :-[