Tormented - S200_134 Sudpir

Started by Wheatmidge, November 02, 2017, 10:31:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wheatmidge

Seeing news about creeper world 4 made me want to play some more three. I have been trying to fill in my Tormented space map and I ran into a level I just couldn't crack.

S200_134 Sudpir

The only place I could figure to start was the landing zone in the middle of the map.
I focus solely on energy production for the first while and float the command back and forth for the extra building space.
I can hold out until the 8 minute mark when I get hit with 9 spores at once.

I see that there are a few completed times on the map and was curious if anyone could give a few pointers for the map. It's weird that this map isn't listed in the difficult or impossible map posts.

florrat

Quote from: Wheatmidge on November 02, 2017, 10:31:58 PM
Seeing news about creeper world 4 made me want to play some more three.
Yeah, same for me :)

Quote from: Wheatmidge on November 02, 2017, 10:31:58 PM
It's weird that this map isn't listed in the difficult or impossible map posts.
That topic is very incomplete (and mostly abandoned, although I updated it today). I haven't even reached S200_134 yet, so I cannot help you  ;)

florrat

Ok, I've now reached the system, and that is a very interesting map. It's easy to protect your initial platform but very hard to protect any other terrain.

Some ideas (after playing only 10 minutes):
* Only build on your initial platform. You can easily defend that from creeper for a while.
* Try to use a terp to raise more terrain
* If you want to go hardcore into micromanagement, you can even choose to permanently hover your CN over/around the platform so that you have 9 more spots to place units/reactors.

florrat

I managed to defeat the spore wave at minute 8, but I need a bigger economy to keep terraforming land. I can survive a couple more minutes after the 8 minute mark, but I think I'd rather try again with a bigger economy: maybe replacing 2 collectors by reactors, maybe I can squeeze out a bit of extra terraforming earlier on. In this map the targeting of the cannon's is incredibly annoying south of the platform.

Wheatmidge

Thanks Florrat for showing me that a start was possible.

I managed to complete it. I thought I took a screenshot when I had established a base and was holding but I can't seem to remember where CW3 saves screenshots.

I started going entirely resource based. 2 collectors and then 7 reactors on the landing pad. I then moved the command node and started building in the middle. It took alot of micromanaging and quit a few times of loading because I wasn't paying enough attention to the micromanaging and I lost units or reactors.

Beating a mission like this one is always so satisfying.

florrat

Very nice Wheatmidge! I would love to see the screenshot.

I'll also try it again.

Wheatmidge

well I had thought I took some screenshots but I had hit the wrong button. I hit print screen instead of F12.
So I just pulled up my save files. I didn't have one too close to the beginning or end.
But here is some screens showing my progression.