Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #350: map 33 BIG BATTLE

Author: yum234
Size: 480x270

Desc:
#GoodLuck

exy

Pretty decent map.  Good concept, but the execution could use some refinement.

I like the use of struc as makeshift walls, with the land-squares splitting off certain sections.  And I like the balance regarding its regeneration, as well as the ability of your early ships to work through it.  But there's not a whole lot more to it once you understand the core concepts.  Personally, I found the early game most interesting, as I had to be more careful with where I would attack, and how hard I could press forward.  But about halfway through most of the challenge disappeared as I found myself with an abundance of ships/energy, able to just Bulldoze through everything.  Maybe consider toning down the ship pickups a bit?  Had the same issue with amp gems; toward the end, found myself running out of things I wanted to use them on.

AAR
Spoiler
I started by rushing to take the 4 SE mines.  Between Def.Struc, Mine Cannons, and all of the mines under the emitters, I felt it would build into a substantial passive force.  Proceeded to take down all of the SW emitters, since the land partitions meant I wouldn't have to worry about the struc regenerating over the mines.  Found the Jet Lathes useful for ramming through single layers of struc, allowing me to slip Fast Lathes through, or to clear struc from mine sources quickly. 

Then, tried to sweep into the NW, but encountered too much resistance from the MK7 ships, so I redeployed my fast lathes to the right edge of the map, creeping up to hit the NE emitters.  I think it was about this point when my heavy ships started coming online, allowing me to just push through the center of the map, then steamroll into the NW corner for another victory.

The doppels/particulate were a minor nuisance, but as they stuck to the struc, they were easily avoided and discounted.

Tried to omni some of the squares to reduce emergent activity, but decided the omnis were too vulnerable and stopped efforts there.

Overall, energy flow was not a concern, especially paired with all of the energy tanks on the ships.  Had a few instances where a ship would run out while outside of range, but these were easily corrected by the supplied Tankers

As usual, the enemy MK7s were not a significant threat once I got my own MK7s up, as Amp Gems allowed me to increase my range over that of the enemy ships, leading to quick takedowns with little retaliation.
[close]

Overall, a fun map, rated slightly above average.  But it felt more like a proof-of-concept for Struc Walls, as opposed to a fully fleshed-out mission.

yum-forum

Thank You for good critics!  :)
You are right that this is trial conceptual map and not fully fleshed-out mission.
It was quite possible for me to create more balanced with more challenges map. But as I understand too hard&challenge maps are not welcome for most of players in PF. That is why I created not too hard and not too easy game.

P.S. I personally really like how BULLDOZER can move through red structure. Like "knife in butter"!  :)
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

yum-forum

1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last