CW3 crash on load - Mac OSX - Monterey 12.4 - Non Steam Version

Started by Portelly, June 27, 2022, 04:15:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Portelly

Hello,

Until a few weeks (even if I had trouble with the maps not loading sometimes after a couple of page) CW3 was still working on my Mac.
Tonight when I start it I have a system message "CW3 quit unexpectedly." with the possibility to "Restart, Report, or Ignore.
Whatever I choose there is no change.

Note :
I already restart may Mac twice.
Full report is attached to this post

Can you help me

Thanks.

This is the start of the report
-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               CW3 [688]
Path:                  /Applications/CW3.app/Contents/MacOS/CW3
Identifier:            unity.Knuckle Cracker LLC.Creeper World 3
Version:               Unity Player version 5.2.3f1 (5.2.3f1)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Native)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2022-06-27 22:01:16.1420 +0200
OS Version:            macOS 12.4 (21F79)
Report Version:        12
Bridge OS Version:     6.5 (19P5071)
Anonymous UUID:        64830C90-E963-4BBB-874C-7AD7FBFF669D

Time Awake Since Boot: 120 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes:       KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000028
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000028
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

VM Region Info: 0x28 is not in any region.  Bytes before following region: 140737487220696
      REGION TYPE                    START - END         [ VSIZE] PRT/MAX SHRMOD  REGION DETAIL
      UNUSED SPACE AT START
---> 
      VM_ALLOCATE              7fffffeeb000-7fffffeec000 [    4K] r-x/r-x SM=ALI 

Application Specific Information:
abort() called

Portelly

Sorry forgot to attach the player.log file from ~/Library/Logs/Unity/Player.log in the previous message

Karsten75

I am afraid there won't be any possibility of additional help for a week or so, knucracker is not available until then.

However, I had a quick look and I suspect you have a graphics device issue. Precisely what, I'm unable to tell you, but the error messages all point to that.

Boolean HIDBuildMultiDeviceList(const UInt32 *, const UInt32 *, int): Couldn't open IOHIDManager.OpenGL:

And

FMOD failed to get number of drivers ... Error enumerating the available driver list. List may be inconsistent due to a recent device addition or removal.

As you may well know, nothing has changed in CW3's code for a good many years now, so I would suggest you investigate issues with your hardware, or perhaps some recent software update.

Portelly

Hello

I know about the code (my fear was something on Apple side that evolve)
You're right about the drivers.

I add some issues with my bluetooth headset and just unpair them made the behavior change.
The game still does not load but I don't have an error message any more.

Then delete them and repair made them work again with the game.

If I disable bluetooth the game doesn't load again
If I enable bluetooth and connect the headset it's working

I try different configuration (even deleting the headset while playing)
The game goes to the next option but if I close the game it's stuck again until il reenable the bluetooth headset.

So big thanks to have put me in the right direction, I now need to find the root cause.

EDIT : Last test making me feel stupid.
I start the game with the bluetooth headset on (note if the same headset is plugged in usb it's not working)
Then disable bluetooth (game still works and move to other audio device)
Then start a map and it's blocking at the "launching mission" screen.

Karsten75

I' m sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully you'll figure it out soon.

Portelly

Hello

Still working on the issue.
Did not found if related only to bluetooth or the fact that after I played one time with the bluetooth headset it keeps/lock the information somewhere.

is it possible to have the list of files (plist/config file) and or config files use by the app                     
Already try to. delete the (system) bluetooth plist, configs, and dpairing but did not help.

Thanks

Portelly.

Karsten75

Quote from: Portelly on June 30, 2022, 05:46:54 PM

is it possible to have the list of files (plist/config file) and or config files use by the app                     

I'm sorry, I asked the dev about this, but he does not really know, since the game was developed a long time back on Windows, with a cross-build to MacOS handled by Unity. He did not pay attention to these matters, just ran the game on a cheap Mac (a misnomer if there ever was one) to verify functionality. Most files are not on his current machine and trying to locate the info did not yield  worthwhile results.

knucracker

Yeah, sorry I can't be of any help.  I googled around looking for similar issues to yours with other games and found a few.  But how MacOS keeps track of what audio device to use... I have no idea.