Custom Map #659: Dagon 8: The Birth of Evil

Started by AutoPost, January 06, 2012, 10:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #659: Dagon 8: The Birth of Evil

Author: Peter Power

Desc:
Dagon returns to the orphanage to find the place flooded and Sarah and Samuel are nowhere to be found. To make matters worse, a great Evil is lurking in the bowels of the Cathedral basement... Note 1: Save often, there are some surprises. Note 2: Read what characters say. They are clues

PeterPower

This was originally the ending map for the Dagon series, so it is more complicated and full of tricks. If there is trouble finishing the map I included some info below.
Spoiler
It's not needed to attack the red Devil with weapons. There is another way to beat him. Also, the devil should be beaten before the emitter can even be approached, since the devil is dumping 500K creeper onto the emitter every second.
[close]
Good luck!

Kithros

I think you could've made the difference between the indestructible terrain and the 25 cost terrain a bit more apparent - it's only barely noticeable for me when specifically looking for it. Also the part digging to the conversion bomb and moving the conversion bomb was kind of tedious since the packets need to travel such a ridiculous distance so many times, and at that point you probably have the map secured well enough anyway.

I think I dealt with the drones in a way that wasn't intended - if you kill the drones while they're inside of the tree, all of the creeper in the drones will just get stuck inside the tree and won't really do anything, so I only needed to sit 1 blaster there.

Oh, and I didn't even attack the red devil, I just sent the conversion bomb into the emitter.. I didn't even realize the fields were transporting creeper there, though that explains why it was such a pain advancing on the emitter even though the emitter was fairly weak.

PeterPower

I agree with almost everything you said.

One of the 'crazy' nuns tells you that the face creates evil but can also contain it. That is a hint to blow up the drones in the tree or the red face.

I should have changed the 25 point tiles to a the 10 point tile in hindsight to save time, but I actually thought alot on how to get that conversion bomb out faster and I came up with nothing. I couldn't move it closer bc of the map design, I couldnt put a portal in there or the booby-trapped doors become avoidable. i thought of putting the micro-rift Tech in there but that takes as long to build as just having the speed upgrade on Lvl 2...

I assume you figured out how to avoid the booby-trapped doors and take out the gateway. Although you could just kill the drones in the tree as well.

Also, I'd better mention it although I will put it in a spoiler:
Spoiler

The first 3 capsules should be collected before 4 minutes and the 4th one at the bottom before the gateway breaks the floor below the red devil and its flooded at about 5:30 or so.

To destroy the gateway: First, I set 3 launchers above the red devil to take out the horns so the packets can travel freely. Second, have the path cleared down with blasters. Third, dig out the top 25 point rock AFTER a drone comes out and heads down. Fourth, have the Paket Speed upgrade at 3 or higher, Fifth, plant a Nullifier at the top RIGHT, directly after the beams make a cross symbol (the beams both cross the gateway)

The 5 doors (or floors) above the Neutron Bomb (conversion bomb) are traps. 4 of the 5 tiles have 500K creeper in them. Samuel tells you how to avoid them, but I realized later you can just mouse-over them as well. oops.

The conversion bomb actually is intented for the red devil. Detonate it in the centre and he's history and you get the added bonus of him now teleporting 500K a second of ANTI-creeper into the emmiter, making it effortless to take it out.

[close]

I wanted this map to be a thinking map but the puzzles might be too difficult and the hints too vague.

SmileyCoder

I find the concept of your maps and the storyline great. But I also find that sometimes your maps seems to be balanced so closely, that if I build a blaster just a few reactors before you, or after you, I end up loosing. I like the challenge, and the traps, and the "Get to capsule before X time" but I also find that this map is a bit too unforgiving.

I still think its a good map, and I love the amount of time you have put into the details and graphics.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

DethbyIT

I agree with SC - I've been beating on this map off and on for three days and can't complete it.

After reading the suggestions from you and Kithros, I went back at it a couple more times - but no joy.

Any chance of getting a screen capture at those key points you mention? I'm getting the pieces build in time, but it must be something in my placment (or - gasp - playing ability).

And to be sure - you're making some great maps. Please continue.
dbit

Kithros

The most important thing you can possibly do is dig under the cross to reach the capsules faster rather than fighting the long way around - it might not be obvious from looking at it, but the square of terrain under the cross is 25 cost, not indestructible. After you pick up the first 3 capsules, as long as you kill the drones inside of the fields there shouldn't be anything too threatening in the map I think.

DethbyIT

Excellent!
Will give that a shot in the morning.
Thank you.
dbit

PeterPower

Yes, I apologise for making the 25 point terrain so hard to see. This map was changed almost entirely from the original version (to make it kid-friendly) and originally the 25 point tiles were only used to hide a secret room. I didn't realise it would be so hard to see them...
There are 8 instances of the 25 point tiles:under the wooden cross, above the red devil, below the red devil which will be dug by the gateway to kill the capsule, at the top of the wall to the gateway room, same wall on the bottom (used to get packets past beams to the portal), and then 3 more on the far right on the way to the neutron bomb (conversion bomb) room.

Something else I just thought of. If at any time you are losing more than a few packets crashing into the crosses, tree of life or beams, you will likely lose the level. Be sure to totally control the path forward so over 95% of the packets are getting through. The first time this occurs are the Devil Horns. I used 3 launchers timed one after the other to maintain full access, The crosses had 4 blasters on the far right and 2 more to blast the flying fire balls and I avoided the tree on the right. I suspect you could also go down the far left. I am going to try that right now...

oodie

this was really hard,but i beat it!now to play it again but this time remember ot not skip the score part! :D :D :D :D :D

oodie

i cant beat it twice...the drones keep getting me!!!i for some reason lose all my ammo in the blasters and the ammo WONT come!D:< well ill try again tommorow :)

PeterPower

Walkthrough for Dagon #8.

NOTE: THIS ENTIRE POST IS A SPOILER! ONLY READ IT IF YOU WANT HELP TO BEAT THE LEVEL

OK, I went through step by step and have pictures to show how to beat it... I just saved them all on a separate website. Tried linking them but it just crashed the browser. SO the website is here with the pics and I'll describe each individually.

http://dagongame.blogspot.com   (click the pics to enlarge them)

2:14
Built 40 reactors, 3 tech domes, 3 blasters and 2 launchers. Used blasters to clear ground and entered the well. moved ship down and upgraded Packet Speed to Lv1.
3:41
built 3 more blasters and 1 more launcher, broke into next room and collected the 3 capsules. Still building more reactors anywhere there is space. NOTE: also built another blaster and start shooting down on the other side of cross, top right. (not in pic) Have upgraded Packet Speed Lv2 and Storage.
5:21
used 4 blasters and launcher to hold back emmiter and run for Crystal with 3 blasters. Send 2 or 3 blasters down INTO the creeper under the red head. If not in creeper they'll shoot the head.
6:05 (option A) est. game finish time 25 mins and above
This was how I first beat the game first. Have dug out the floor under the red head and grabbed the 4th capsule. start blasting the crosses. Note: spread out the blasters so any drones are shot BELOW the cross line AND have one blaster above the head to shoot the drone so it explodes inside the head. it will be absorbed. You can see the blaster I was trying to move shot the drone just as I was trying to take the pic so i would have reloaded this level. haha (Save often) Upgrade Packet Speed Lv3. Note also the blasters at the top are losing ground against the emmiter. Check back regularilly and build another blaster when needed. Build more reactors too.
5:55 (option B) est. game finish time 15 mins and above
This is how I deduce Kithros beat the level :) Have dug out the floor under the red head and grabbed the 4th capsule. move the blaster down so it ONLY shoots the drips NOT the head or you will run out of ammo. Send another blaster down near the bottom of the tree ensuring it can NOT shoot the drone under the tree and destroy the portal. Put this blaster on DISARM and only arm it when the drone is nearby as in the picture. If you dont disarm it you will run out of ammo. The drones show up about once every 1:30. Build more reactors and dig under the tree to the portal.
7:41
Through the portal dig out the ore and build 8 miners. Notice the planned dig path down on the right side. Have 5 blasters on the emmiter now and building reactors as I clean up the rest of the creeper from both directions. 1 tech point away from Packet Speed Lv4.
10:16
Dug through the bottom wall to get the last capsule on bottom right. Note that this will change the course of the drones so they go up the right now. Have at least one blaster there to shoot the drone so it explodes under the tree branch. Upgrade Packet Speed to Lv5. start using all extra energy to build Tech domes with the intent to get movement speed upgrades for the Conversion bomb. I have 2 anti-creeper makers helping out, but place them ABOVE the cross line (not below as in the picture) or you'll lose packets into the crosses. On the top right you can see the path to the conversion bomb. Samuel tells you the path (2,4,1,5,3) If you choose the wrong path the room will flood with creeper. An optional quest is to destroy the gateway. To do that you need 5~8 blasters and 2 launchers working on the tree branches to open a path. more on that later.
10:56
This is the correct destination for the conversion bomb. Red Devil is dumping 500K a second onto the emmiter so it'll be nearly impossible (but not impossible as Kithros proved) to take out the emmiter otherwise. I have upgraded Movement Speed Lv1. Could have gotton lv2 as well if I'd built the tech domes sooner. I upgraded Ore as well. Note I had the anti-creeper maker helping take out the horns on the top right.
14:36
Red Devil is now converted to a white angel and has been dumping 500K anti-creeper on the emmiter for 3 minutes or so. I am using that time to take out the gateway. once the top tree branch is dissolved take out the top rock in the wall to the gateway room and place the Nullifier in the location seen EXACTLY when the beams appear in the sign of the cross as seen in the picture. otherwise the beams will destroy it. If you have packet speed at 4 or 5 and the path is 100% clear, and you lose NO packets the nullifier will finish before the beams explode it. Other upgrade now are optional. I choose Fire Rate.
16:34
The last 2 minutes were basically a waiting game for the emmiter to become engulfed in anti-creeper and 5 Nullifiers later it's destroyed. Grab the Holocube and the level is done. Note I didn't even use my tech points because once the Red Devil is converted the level finishes itself.

Whew. I may never make such a complicated level again. A normal level is 2~8 hours of work. This one took me over 40 hours of design and an entire script rewrite to finish. Hopefully, with this walkthrough, more players will be able to finish the level as well.

SmileyCoder

Well after spending 20 minutes on the map, and having "killed" the tree I end up shooting a drone which then kills the gateway...Game over.
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

Kithros

Quote from: SmileyCoder on January 08, 2012, 05:28:40 AM
Well after spending 20 minutes on the map, and having "killed" the tree I end up shooting a drone which then kills the gateway...Game over.

You're not supposed to kill the tree - you can dig under the 10 cost squares to reach the microrift.

DethbyIT

Thanks to all of the help, I finally stumbled my way through it - way above my paygrade - but what a great fight!

Much appreciated.
dbit