Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #2441: Tripwire

Author: warren
Size: 72x72

Desc:
The toughest level yet. Can you crack the security? #CRPL

warren

What with Sorrontis and Pastor.Healer dominating the map production with really hard maps recently, what I thought the community really needs is another really hard map.

Sorrontis

I really have no clue what is going on here... so I'll carry on?

No, seriously, what's the goal?
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

planetfall

Presumably the emitters need to be killed while active. There are 5 spots where you can place a unit without triggering any emitters, but I have no idea what to do with them. It's possible to build a thor in the center, but it'll be incredibly slow to build and charge with that limited space, so I doubt that's a solution. Trying to grab the aether doesn't accomplish much either except flooding the level, so I'm guessing thor and aether are both traps.

So, uh, can you give us a hint?
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

warren

Quote from: planetfall on August 28, 2015, 09:23:23 PM
...hint?

I certainly can. Most of your guesses are correct, except nothing is a trap. Getting the aethyr packs can be considered a training mission, if you will. If you can get all of them, you are 50% of the way to solving it.

planetfall

Spoiler

The top-center spot seems to be able to nullify a few enemies, but I can't see any wires actually leading to them.
[close]

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

warren

Spoiler
There are eight domes that won't activate by any wire immediately visible.
However, the top center is probably a good weak area in the defences. It is not the one I used in my test run, however.
[close]

PaulG

Wow.

You sir are a genius. That has to be one of my all time favourite maps.  Brilliant! :)

warren

Really? It's not even classic yet. Give it a few months.

D0m0nik

This was really great, actually one of your easier maps! Not sure how 6 mins was done though! Defo work a replay.

Spoiler
Bit of a weird one - I terped an area form 3 height to 4 and I could land a guppy in it without triggering a line, I terped another next to it but when I landed a guppy it triggered. I can also land guppies in the corners without triggering anything, what's going on?
[close]

warren

I actually found that in testing!
Spoiler

Guppies are 1x1 structures according to the system, even though they occupy a 3x3 grid. The wires are designed to work off a thing's size, rather than a thing's occupied area.

Another thing I found, Thors report as landed at all times, even though they are flying ships! Go figure.
[close]

Oh, when I rate difficulty, I am usually thinking along the lines "How hard is this to complete with a good time?" Where hard means "How many times will I need to restore a save?" and good means "Within 50% of the best possible time." This is obviously easy(ish) to complete, if you wait an hour to build and charge a Thor.

Tero

I never cared for CRPL.  But this very interesting. 
Spoiler
I found a guppy can land near the lower right totem, without triggering any of the emitters.  So I built the Forge and let it collect Aether.  Also a terp can adjust the elevation without triggering the emitters.  So building a platform around the red rectangle seemed like a good idea.  Once I had maxed out fire rate, range, storage etc.  I began approaching emitters at the top.  Huge drop in power reserves.  But managed a few nullifiers.  Eventually, I found, its the where the "wires" start that un-shields the emitters.  Setting anything on two or three wires exposes some emitters.  A pulse cannon on a PZ and a nullifier on another make short work.of this map.
[close]
I respect those who quote me the least.

planetfall

That was SUPREMELY satisfying. I wish I could give it 100/10.

warren

Quote...100/10
Quote...But this very interesting.
Top reviews from the harshest critics and broken rating scales. I can now retire happily. No more maps from me. :P

Sorrontis

Well, kudos to those who've made it. I've yet to nullify a single emitter. Everything I do, I get flooded.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."