Custom Map #1652: Arc Eternal Redemption - Hyper Tower Takeback. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, January 25, 2015, 05:52:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1652: Arc Eternal Redemption - Hyper Tower Takeback

Author: Hubs
Size: 150x84

Desc:
Arc Eternal Redemption: Hyper Tower Takeback (Part 5) Relive the campaign as the creeper! Reclaim the worlds cleansed by Abraxis and get redemption. The Loki started construction of a new Hyper Tower, but Abraxis has captured it and reversed it to work with anti-creeper. It is your job to take back the tower. Control the creeper and destroy everything you see. #PlayAsCreeper #PACRedemption

strigvir

The map would be 100% cooler if Hyper Tower shot into nearest to digitalis areas, so the western part will be slowly overrun by the loads of creeper, instead of completely wrecked by 1 layer ones.
Perhaps a different firing mode?
Also the minor but yet irritating thing is AI continuously building on creepered digitalis which at the end of map results in 500+ notifications and constant explosion sounds override other sounds like annihilator charging and music.

Stave

Protip: Trust and feed the Hyper Tower. Neglecting it and trying to assault the base directly took me over an hour of gametime. Giving it some love took my time down to under 30 minutes.

stdout

10/10. This was my favorite map of your Hubs. I can't wait to play this again in the morning and improve my time.

Imposter

Quote from: strigvir on January 25, 2015, 08:07:04 PM
The map would be 100% cooler if Hyper Tower shot into nearest to digitalis areas, so the western part will be slowly overrun by the loads of creeper, instead of completely wrecked by 1 layer ones.
Perhaps a different firing mode?
Also the minor but yet irritating thing is AI continuously building on creepered digitalis which at the end of map results in 500+ notifications and constant explosion sounds override other sounds like annihilator charging and music.
You can turn off notifications in the menu, and there may be some sound specific options as well.

F0R

not good at play as creeper maps. How to start? i cant seem to get close to anywhere

Xeos

This is your finest work to date Hubs IMHO. Excellently balanced and fun to play from beginning to end. The Hyper tower transformation is clever too and a great feature in this map.
Well done and looking forward to see if you can top this :)
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Hubs

Thanks alot everyone for the feedback! The terrain had a lot to offer on the right side of the map and made it perfect for a hyper tower re-capture mission. I also wanted to show Abraxis starting to maybe have hope by using the Hyper Tower against the Loki, but then get crushed and be on the run again. In CW1 you were always on the run. In this series you get to do the chasing :).

strigvir, I get what you're saying about making the player have more control over the hyper tower, but right now the point of it is to create chaos. If you could target the hyper tower it would just be way too over powered, but the randomness of it creates power deficiencies for Abraxis and sometimes you can get a lucky shot that hits a beam, or reactor farm, or a main power supply that cuts off the area you going for next. Don't worry though, I have plans for a new tower that you'll have more control over...

Did anyone try to take the left side without the use of the hyper tower?

Linden

Pfft I can't even get control of the Hyper tower haha! Seriously, I can't figure out how you lot have got onto the island. Oh well, off to try again!  :D

UrMawMah

Quote from: Linden on January 27, 2015, 06:01:47 PM
Pfft I can't even get control of the Hyper tower haha! Seriously, I can't figure out how you lot have got onto the island. Oh well, off to try again!  :D

Well....
Spoiler
take the four powerzones that are near the beginning and cut yourself a path of digitalis straight down, you'll cut everything off from the supply chain to the west, leaving the entire eastern half of the map exposed for easy-peasy pillaging.[\spoiler]
[close]

Linden

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 27, 2015, 06:46:09 PM
Quote from: Linden on January 27, 2015, 06:01:47 PM

Well....
Spoiler
take the four powerzones that are near the beginning and cut yourself a path of digitalis straight down, you'll cut everything off from the supply chain to the west, leaving the entire eastern half of the map exposed for easy-peasy pillaging.[\spoiler]
[close]
Oh, for crying out loud - I always, but always, miss that on PAC maps! Thank you, UrMawMah. :)

Stave

Quote from: Hubs on January 27, 2015, 08:49:56 AMDid anyone try to take the left side without the use of the hyper tower?

My first attempt was with minimal HT support, and it was BRUTAL. I could make marginal progress at the top of the map, but once the bombers got the HT launching AC again, I got pushed back. And again in the center, and again in the south. I honestly don't think it can be done without the HT to starve the beams and finally break a generator or two.

RrR

Once I got all the accessible PZ connected and made into emitters, I pushed all the creeper into the HT and it was game over in about a minute.

J

Once I had both generators (stacked PZ reactors) down it was an easy win. I supported the hyper tower with some spore towers tagetting the most important units, but it didn't feel like the optimal solution.
Overall good map, only one suggestion, make the HT shoot at random coords if there are no units to shoot at.

Hubs

Yeah, that's a good point J. I'll add that in to the next map that I use the Hyper Tower in.