Custom Map #1618: Planet X954S2. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, January 17, 2015, 10:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strigvir

Is it possible to alter digitalis CPRL so it will be automatically created wherever it's possible? It's kinda chore to apply it manually on the map with this size and scale of attacks.
Of course it would be switch-able behaviour, in case we need those emitters in the void.

Hubs

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 17, 2015, 10:13:12 PM
If you want my opinion though, the excel is good stuff, but switch from jquery to python for your quick hacky prototype sort of scripts- it's got way less cruft, and unpolished scrips come out of it incredibly quickly.  Just don't spend your all your time learning it; I have this addiction for pac maps that neeeeeds to be filled.

I'm in html/jquery all day at work, so I was able to slap it together in maybe 5 minutes. Plus it gave me a super easy interface to copy the data into excel and I could easily post the html file for anyone to use (let me know if anyone's interested in it).

Quote from: thumbmaster on January 18, 2015, 12:11:34 AM
This is the most epic, yet winnable, map I've ever played. The start also caught me by surprise. The sporteor shower was spectacular. Wait till I show this one to the little dude. We will need a lot of popcorn.

The map was way too difficult when I initially tested it and with the epicness of the map I wanted as many people to enjoy it as possible, so I toned it down. Hardcore players can go for time, casual players can go for a fun win. Hope the little guy likes it :)

Hubs

Quote from: strigvir on January 18, 2015, 02:46:08 AM
Is it possible to alter digitalis CPRL so it will be automatically created wherever it's possible? It's kinda chore to apply it manually on the map with this size and scale of attacks.
Of course it would be switch-able behaviour, in case we need those emitters in the void.

It's definately possible, but that would be a pretty intense script to go through and check every cell on the map for creeper level and to add the digitalis if not present. I could maybe see this as a hotkey that you could press to create it, but as a script that is running all the time it will bog down the map significantly (especially on large maps). This map was 250x250, which is 62,500 cells, times 30 frames per second = 1,875,000 checks.

thumbmaster

Quote from: Hubs on January 19, 2015, 10:24:20 AM
Hope the little guy likes it :)

When I showed him the map, his first reaction was, and I quote, "THIS MAP IS A 10!!!"

We had a great time playing it. We tried a different approach (more aggressive) than my solo run and enjoyed it immensely. The irony is that it actually added a few minutes to the time. My initial play was (IMHO) more leisurely but ended up with a better time.  :o

Either way, he can't stop talking about this map and it inspired him to get moving on his own PAC map.
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.

Hubs

I was wondering when I'd see you two post a map.  Can't wait to play it!

strigvir

Quote from: Hubs on January 19, 2015, 10:28:46 AM
It's definately possible, but that would be a pretty intense script to go through and check every cell on the map for creeper level and to add the digitalis if not present. I could maybe see this as a hotkey that you could press to create it, but as a script that is running all the time it will bog down the map significantly (especially on large maps). This map was 250x250, which is 62,500 cells, times 30 frames per second = 1,875,000 checks.
And it's not possible to check creeper digitalis-less cells only without scanning the whole map?

Game Loser

Another positive comment here.
What a brilliant start idea...that is genius!

I wondered how on earth I was gonna get anywhere on this one, but realized the big hint was the start itself *wink*.

One thing that made it easier was the fact that the defender didn't attempt to put nullifiers anywhere.  I had a couple of emitters just sitting there surrounded pretty much with anti-creeper and a couple of blasters and super mortars keeping the digitalis dead.  Normally a nullifier or two would have been dropped in and would have thwarted my forward advance.

Spoiler
I guess it wouldn't have made much difference ultimately, as once the full outer ring has been populated with emitters, there is enough creeper to pound the nearest super cluster and move on.
[close]

Fab map though, enjoyed that.  Mega overloading at the very end, was amusing!
AMD Ryzen 1700X / 32GiB DDR4 / Zotac Mini GeForce GTX 1070

Hubs

Thanks for the comments. With that map it already had so much going on that nullifiers would have made it take longer and be more complicated. I toned down the difficulty a ton from what it was during initial testing. Glad you enjoyed!

.Ramblux

I can't beat the mission, I got all the surroundings but how can I enter the main area?

hbarudi

After getting the surroundings, to get the main area use spores on the void at the bottom of the large circle, one you build digitalis there, enter the circle, you will only face little resistance at the bottom until you get a powerzone.
Then build an emitter there and replace all your spore towers with emitters and all emitters support the emitter on the main area, I got that emitter to be 700 strong which was able to help me add more emitters and finish the main area. This is a very good map, both not so difficult and looks good too.

mzimmer74

Quote from: fred84 on June 27, 2015, 10:33:53 AM
sorry to bother you, but I am extremely puzzled. I am at my early attempts, but I seem unable to proceed.
I have read the help test in the map (all of it, I have noticed that the text changes depending on the command selected), but I cannot "colonize" any satellite except my initial one. I have killed all the defenses, the satellite is covered in creeper and digitalis, but I cannot create spores nor emitters in the power zones (the digitalis seems not to activate)

what am I missing?

I restarted the map since it had been a while and I want to make sure to address the obvious question...are you laying down digitalis?  When I restarted the map a single emitter was created and there was an empty PZ.  I put down digitalis over the entire island and it activated fine. Then I put a spore tower in the empty PZ.  After that it is simply a matter of sending spores into the void and laying down more digitalis to spread to nearby islands.
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

AddMeGamers

This map is awesome  ;D one hell of challenge.

Spoiler

isj4

When you have gotten to the main island and is bothered by the PZ mortars there is tactic that is rarely used but I found useful on thi map: send a spore to one of the tiny 1-pixel islands within the mortar's range. mortars (and berthas) will target that because it has a creeper level at 500. Meanwhile, you can get stuff done.
Your puny map is no match for my Turtle Power!

MuDRu

Bad ass play! Good Job all around! 

p.s. 50,000 more messages!