Custom Map #1618: Planet X954S2. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, January 17, 2015, 10:59:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1618: Planet X954S2

Author: Hubs
Size: 250x250

Desc:
The humans have begun creating hybrid units in hopes of finally having a defense strong enough to take out the creeper. We have a little surprise for them... Show them no mercy! #PlayAsCreeper #PAC

Linden

Woah, Hubs - what an awesome looking map! Loads of work went in to it, I can see. I'm just about to start it, but I wanted to say I'm really looking forward to getting my teeth into this one. Thanks! :D

D0m0nik

I am with Linden, haven't even started but had to come here to say that that is one good lucking map! Work of art!

Linden

It is, Dominik, and I'd frame it if I could. :D

Well, I just finished and it's wonderful to play. :)

UrMawMah

Oh man hubs, you outdid yourself!  Hard! 

At first, I was all manner of pissed off, the first thing I do on pac maps is pause and look for the emitters; that didn't work.  I unpaused to figure out what was going on, and I couldn't tell if someone had filled my computer with molassas or if the map was overly complex.  Then I saw it.  The stuttering cloud of DESTINY.

Processor intensive, but all in all great!

10/10 amazeballs would do again

Xeos

That must have taken some time to build and test that Wow ! Looks stunning .. That's given me an idea ! :)
Great work again Hubs - You set the mark for others (including me) to reach :)  10/10

A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

D0m0nik

Great fun to play, really enjoyed it, very impressive map!

As usual pipped to the post by RrR!!

teknotiss

"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hubs

Thanks for the great feedback everyone! That was a beast to make and test. Taking the outer ring took about 15-20 minutes so testing the core took a long time to get to. Had to play through it 4 times to get it where I wanted it.

It started out being way too difficult on the planet with upgrades - mainly the mortars prevented you from progressing much onto the planet. So I removed most of the upgrades.

All of the terrain was randomly generated through an algorithm I wrote in jquery. I used excel to combine the different elements and create crpl that would make the map in the editor. Map design took about 3 hours and testing took another 3 hours.

Hubs

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 17, 2015, 01:27:26 PM

At first, I was all manner of pissed off, the first thing I do on pac maps is pause and look for the emitters; that didn't work.  I unpaused to figure out what was going on, and I couldn't tell if someone had filled my computer with molassas or if the map was overly complex.  Then I saw it.  The stuttering cloud of DESTINY.

I wondered if people would get tripped up by that haha! I do the same thing. I've always thought...how do emitters get on planets? Must be through meteor showers! I explored the concept with my battle station impact map. So I started thinking about how to actually do that. Then it dawned on me...a 200+storm of spores should do it. I was hoping to get a jaw dropping reaction when players finally see it.

Linden

It was most definitely an unexpected start! :D I too wondered where my start point was, as UrMawMah said, so I unpaused it to see where the creeper started. Then the incoming happened and I thought it was very inventive and spectacular. :D

(I didn't want to mention it earlier in case I spoiled it for others.)

speef

A little too easy, but fun, and visually very impressive. I liked the intro script, too.

It's not often I go into a map thinking, "Whoa, this is cool!"

Levi

My first impression was "Whaaaa.......  Oh, holy crap, that's cool."

UrMawMah

Quote from: Hubs on January 17, 2015, 04:21:55 PM
Quote from: UrMawMah on January 17, 2015, 01:27:26 PM

I wondered if people would get tripped up by that haha! I do the same thing. I've always thought...how do emitters get on planets? Must be through meteor showers! I explored the concept with my battle station impact map. So I started thinking about how to actually do that. Then it dawned on me...a 200+storm of spores should do it. I was hoping to get a jaw dropping reaction when players finally see it.

I guess i always assumed that emitters started more like a fungus, with you know, a single tiny microscopic spore in the wrong place at the right time, but hell, I love the epic sporestorm more, it's that end-all of end-all assault "hey, yeah.  We're going to be there.  Right there.  Yeah.  Just gonna do this thing, you know, and hey, no hard feelings, but good luck stopping us.  Give it your best and everything. Cherrio".  (the creeper is obviously british.)

If you want my opinion though, the excel is good stuff, but switch from jquery to python for your quick hacky prototype sort of scripts- it's got way less cruft, and unpolished scrips come out of it incredibly quickly.  Just don't spend your all your time learning it; I have this addiction for pac maps that neeeeeds to be filled.

thumbmaster

This is the most epic, yet winnable, map I've ever played. The start also caught me by surprise. The sporteor shower was spectacular. Wait till I show this one to the little dude. We will need a lot of popcorn.
Twas a sad day when we mothballed Creeper World for Particle Fleet.