Custom Map #1587: THE DEVIOUS ARACHNID. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, January 09, 2015, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hubs

I finally got around to playing this map and loved it! Great puzzle map! The stacked beams were pretty cool...never thought to do that. What did you intend to use the runners for? They didn't really help me with anything.

Xeos

Quote from: Hubs on January 10, 2015, 04:39:16 PM
I finally got around to playing this map and loved it! Great puzzle map! The stacked beams were pretty cool...never thought to do that. What did you intend to use the runners for? They didn't really help me with anything.

Well.... The runners were intended to be used as UrMawMah played it in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmabtr_XeQ&feature=youtu.be - You will see I put 2 collectors right on the corner. I put them there so that the runners would take them out, cutting the power to that zone and therefore allowing the creep to be pushed through and take it out. But I underestimated peoples desire to dominate maps using spore which makes it difficult to design good puzzle maps when I want the player to push creep around an area in a certain way. I thought about having the player limited to how many spores they can place and that would give me many more options. I posted a request in the coders corner to see if that is easy to do. Then I could have some serious fun :)
Glad you played it and liked it and thanks again for your help :)
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Hubs

Interesting. I didn't think of that and didn't even go up that way initially. I took the entire right side before venturing above the middle base. Once I had all the PZs from the right base the left was a cakewalk.

Xeos

Quote from: Hubs on January 10, 2015, 06:55:57 PM
Interesting. I didn't think of that and didn't even go up that way initially. I took the entire right side before venturing above the middle base. Once I had all the PZs from the right base the left was a cakewalk.

Yes it appears UrMahWah also did that too ( before he did the video above) . Pushing creep across the void makes it hard to defend against that as its so easy to do... Been thinking about strategies to stop that when using a void... 

Hubs

You could put a thin strip of land in the void next to an island. The creeper would stop there and not connect to the island

Xeos

teknotiss

Quote from: Xeos on January 10, 2015, 07:37:55 PM
but wont it just go over it?
void is effectively 500 height, so the C can "pour" onto land of any height but needs to be 500 plus to "pour" off!
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Xeos

Quote from: teknotiss on January 10, 2015, 08:10:03 PM
void is effectively 500 height, so the C can "pour" onto land of any height but needs to be 500 plus to "pour" off!
Ok I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me :)

teknotiss

Quote from: Xeos on January 10, 2015, 08:11:19 PM
Quote from: teknotiss on January 10, 2015, 08:10:03 PM
Ok I didn't know that. Thanks for telling me :)

no worries man, happy to help!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hubs

I'm pretty sure you can adjust the 500 setting too.

teknotiss

oh almost certainly, but that'd be out of my field of expertise, one for the code monkeys! ::)  ;)

Xeos

I've found a way that seems to work that gets me the result I want without doing any coding. I will be releasing the map again soon and see how they get on :)