Custom Map #1510: The Megalodon System. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, December 22, 2014, 09:45:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1510: The Megalodon System

Author: stdout
Size: 250x250

Desc:
This system is a popular vacation destination for the humans and our intention is to harm their morale by taking it from them. We've managed to land a couple emitters and a spore tower on the Clownfish asteroid. From there, your task is to spread out and conquer. Then we'll enjoy a vacation of our own. #PlayAsCreeper in this NEW and UPDATED controls system, courtesy of stewbasic. Many new controls are available, so be sure to access the in-game help system to learn about these powerful new options.

PaulG

I think I'm missing something with these "play as creeper" maps. How do you "move" onto another island? The starting island I can flood with creeper, I can then get creeper onto another few islands by bombarding them with spores; but the digitalis on them does not grow, therefore I cannot expand by placing more emitters or spores on the commandeered islands.

Any help appreciated

Asbestos

Target the void with spores, which lets you bridge the islands with digitalis.

mmh

Nice map! One question. What does "nearby units mean"? When I double-click one of the two emitters in the beginning nothing happens.

I kind of miss that you could make all other emitters support one with a single key (T). Now (if I understand everything correct) I must select an emitter, press O and then select the emitter I want the others to target. It's the same thing with spores. I have to select a spore tower, press O and then select the target.

DestinyAtlantis

But in return, now you can multi-issue commands for changing modes, (from manual-target to auto-target and to waiting for spore towers and from support to burst and to normal), in the original, i used to switch from support to normal by destroying the supported emitter.

stdout

There are pros and cons to the new keys system. I admit I really missed the "T" for emitters. But once I started getting used to using "O then click" it started to feel more natural the more I played. The spore tower changes are my favorite, though. I love setting 5 or 6 towers to hit one place, and then select the crosshairs and it automatically selects just that group of towers. I love that. Pausing that group until they all charge, then releasing them all simultaneously, is now highly convenient and that means I use the functionality a lot more.

The discussion about the keys (and the rest of the PAC rewrite) is underway here:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=17566.msg125384

wobblycogs

Great map and I like the new key system for the PAC maps. Like others I miss being able to just hit T to map all emitters support the selected one as that is pretty much all I do with emitters. The new method of click, O, click seems awkward in comparison.

teknotiss

Quote from: wobblycogs on December 22, 2014, 01:52:44 PM
Great map and I like the new key system for the PAC maps. Like others I miss being able to just hit T to map all emitters support the selected one as that is pretty much all I do with emitters. The new method of click, O, click seems awkward in comparison.
i agree
t was the sensible way, so was simply toggling burst by pressing one key, either e or r, but the new multi select is great.
emitter o then select emitter to support is really clunky.
emitter then t (or o) and all support that one is intuitive.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Stave

I like the new control scheme, but I wish you'd picked a better key than "o". Anything on the left side of the keyboard would've been preferable. Fun map, thanks!

For everyone having trouble, a tip that helped me: If you click on your old supported emitter, then click on another emitter, it will move all the support (plus the support of the old emitter) over to the second emitter. Instead of "click, T" (the old way), "click, O, click" (the new way used inefficiently), it's just "click, click."

This helps you easily have 50% of your emitters supporting one front, and 50% supporting another. You can then keep the support separated as you advance your front.

Quote from: mmh on December 22, 2014, 12:28:40 PMOne question. What does "nearby units mean"?

Same as it means in regular maps. For example, in a non-PAC map, you can double click a cannon and it will select all nearby cannons. I'm not sure the exact radius, but.. nearby.

Linden

This is the only PAC map I still can't get started. I've tried aiming the spore tower at various places each restart, tried using both emitters as the main one, supporting one with the spore tower - you name it, I (think I) tried it. Pfft.

Anyone fancy being a dear and giving me a few tips on how to get that first island secure? I know I'll love it once I get started - I'm just so frustrated with myself.

teknotiss

hey dude, hope this helps!
first pic is at 0:00:41
i started by setting both emitters to burst mode, i can't remember how long til i set them to flow mode, i may have let them simply overflow but i don't think so, prob let them fill to 65/75%.
enough to kill the nullifiers and lay down that D you can see.
the spore to target the relay/right-side nullifier, you need to keep the power supply interrupted until that PZ blaster has run out, then the D can spread. it seems to be a waste of time but after a couple of mins you can start to dominate
the second pic is at 0:01:31
hope that helps, ask again if you need any more assistance  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Linden

Quote from: teknotiss on December 30, 2014, 09:50:22 AM
hey dude, hope this helps!
first pic is at 0:00:41
i started by setting both emitters to burst mode, i can't remember how long til i set them to flow mode, i may have let them simply overflow but i don't think so, prob let them fill to 65/75%.
enough to kill the nullifiers and lay down that D you can see.
the spore to target the relay/right-side nullifier, you need to keep the power supply interrupted until that PZ blaster has run out, then the D can spread. it seems to be a waste of time but after a couple of mins you can start to dominate
the second pic is at 0:01:31
hope that helps, ask again if you need any more assistance  8)

Thanks, Teknotiss - you're a dear! :D I'll give that a go, and I do appreciate the tips. :)

stdout

That's the key. Use the spore tower to kill both of those relays. If you succeed in keeping them both dead then the entire island is completely cut off from the power and it's a short matter of time before all the human weapons fall silent.

Xeos

stdout , This map is a stunning creation ! I think you and Hubs make very beautiful and intelligent maps that are just so enthralling to play. I am a complete noob but I want to make these type of maps. I posted the same question in Hubs thread but is there a youtube tutorial or something similar where I can learn to make maps like this? Many thanks in advance and keep up the great work :) 
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !