Custom Map #1492: Arc Eternal Redemption - Training Day. By: Hubs

Started by AutoPost, December 18, 2014, 06:48:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1492: Arc Eternal Redemption - Training Day

Author: Hubs
Size: 128x84

Desc:
Arc Eternal Redemption â€" Training Day (Part 1) Relive the campaign as the creeper! Reclaim the worlds cleansed by Abraxis and get redemption. “Training Day” places you on the planet Tempus in the Inceptus sector. There is a small outpost with light defenses. You command the Loki Hive. Learn to control the creeper and destroy everything you see. #PlayAsCreeper #PACRedemption

stdout

teknotiss

also, except that the last info box won't go away and i can see the bottom half of the screen when zoomed in. perhaps pressing h should get rid of it.
a touch annoying but still a great tutorial. good job
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hubs

Quote from: stdout on December 18, 2014, 07:43:44 AM
Excellent PlayAsCreeper tutorial! Perfectly done.

Thanks stdout! This is the first of a long series of maps I'll be doing that will follow the campaign after Abraxis has cleared earch world. Hope everyone enjoys!

Quote from: teknotiss on December 18, 2014, 08:02:28 AM
also, except that the last info box won't go away and i can see the bottom half of the screen when zoomed in. perhaps pressing h should get rid of it.
a touch annoying but still a great tutorial. good job

There is a red x in the upper right corner of the message box that will close it.  It's kind of small, so it's easy to miss.

teknotiss

ah yes i see it. no worries then. i wonder if that could be enlarged a bit in future maps?
is it CRPL settable or is it fixed?
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Hubs

The map uses ShowMessage for the first set of messages, then ShowMessageDismissible for the last message (since there isn't another action you can do to remove it). It's a built in function so unless it's rewritten in crpl it's not resizable. If you play the first campaign map, you get the same thing. I tried to model it as much as possible to the style of that map.

stdout

I also didn't see that red x at first and I was irritated that the message stayed. I guess in hindsight it would be best to add a sentence at the end saying "Click the red X to close this window." but that's a tiny nitpick. I wouldn't try to change the map because of that.

Hubs, in the past I have posted maps as betas to let people try them out before posting to CS. It has been helpful because extra sets of eyes on a map often reveal little things that the designer didn't notice. Having a couple people play your map first and give a thumbs-up or offer advice, is really helpful.

mzimmer74

Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Loren Pechtel

I agree about the red x being hard to see.

Also, it says surrounded totems get a blue ring but it doesn't say what this means.

Hubs

I think what I'll do in the future is have it disappear after a minute or two or just when the next PZ is taken. I don't think I'll use that feature with a lot of my maps going forward. It just really fit well with the tutorial style I was going for. And it was too much text to put in the normal communication boxes at the top - it would have been 25+ messages.

Courtesy

This is the first PAC map I've ever played. I see a lot of work went into it, but I don't seem to enjoy the maptype very much.

However, it does have tons of great ideas in it, and I'm blown away by how much work went into making these kinds of maps. One has to wonder if one could make a map where the creeper behaves more like this, while still being balanced...

teknotiss

Quote from: Courtesy on December 18, 2014, 11:16:00 PM
This is the first PAC map I've ever played. I see a lot of work went into it, but I don't seem to enjoy the maptype very much.

However, it does have tons of great ideas in it, and I'm blown away by how much work went into making these kinds of maps. One has to wonder if one could make a map where the creeper behaves more like this, while still being balanced...

this is an easy map, try some of the other PAC maps, some are trickier than others.
and with the new easy to use template we can hope that we'll have many more PAC maps to come! 8)

Hubs

My main goal with this map was to get you used to the controls and the four build options. The other PAC maps have a lot more complexity and strategy involved and they're much more interesting to play.

BoxOfSnoo

This is a pretty ancient topic, but I got to the point where I'm supposed to build an emitter on the "power zone" but I can't build anywhere.  What's a power zone?  The glowing rings?

herobattle530

Quote from: BoxOfSnoo on November 25, 2017, 06:43:30 PM
This is a pretty ancient topic, but I got to the point where I'm supposed to build an emitter on the "power zone" but I can't build anywhere.  What's a power zone?  The glowing rings?
Yes, spread some digitalis on it and place the emitter or spore tower on it.