Custom Map #1211: The Mallard System. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, October 02, 2014, 04:52:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1211: The Mallard System

Author: stdout
Size: 250x250

Desc:
A battle rages in the Mallard System, which lies at the center of the Marsh Galaxy. Ever since the creeper reawakened with a new mysterious intelligence, skirmishes like this are happening all across the universe. The humans are struggling, but their efforts won't be enough. Take the controls and assist the creeper in taking this system. Have no mercy against the humans. #PlayAsCreeper Thank you to my beta testers Grayzzur, Linden, Lost in Nowhere, DestinyAtlantis, and teknotiss.

pawel345

Great map^^

Spoiler
I really liked the fact that a few well aimed spores can solve most of the difficulties with the PZ berthas
[close]

lynge

How does one play this map? I cannot place any of the items, neither node, spores or digitalis. And it make no difference where I put the field thing. How do you place anything?

Grayzzur

Quote from: lynge on October 03, 2014, 11:53:23 AM
How does one play this map? I cannot place any of the items, neither node, spores or digitalis. And it make no difference where I put the field thing. How do you place anything?
Have you played any of the other #PlayAsCreeper maps? If not, you might want to start with 1099 "System Take Back". Read the dialog text and use the help feature to learn the units. This one is a bit of a rougher start if you're not already familiar with the play style. You can put "#PlayAsCreeper" in the Text box and Apply Filters to filter the list of maps to stdout's PAC series.
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

lynge

Tanks. Tried again and still no luck, but this time I spotted the "archived transmissions" button. With the transmissions it was easy enough to get started, but they did not pop up any of the times I started the map so I was a bit lost. Thanks for the tip with the tag, I will try that.

stdout

The first time I played stewbasic's PlayAsCreeper map, I couldn't figure it out and quit. Some time later I tried again and managed to make my first emitter on the nearby power zone. It was a magical experience, giving life to a new emitter. When I built my first spore tower, aimed, and launched a spore, I was exhilarated. When that spore slammed into its target and spilled creeper all over the landscape, I was hooked for life. ;D

Vanguard

Quote from: stdout on October 03, 2014, 12:59:38 PM
first emitter on the nearby power zone. It was a magical experience, giving life to a new emitter. When I built my first spore tower, aimed, and launched a spore, I was exhilarated. When that spore slammed into its target and spilled creeper all over the landscape, I was hooked for life. ;D
Muha, poetic. I like.

This was a fantastic map. Balance and strategy wise.  :o

Loren Pechtel

Tough.  I only found one emitter I could save but that was enough.  Getting spores through Thor defenses takes a *LOT* of spores!

Grayzzur

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on October 03, 2014, 08:27:30 PM
Tough.  I only found one emitter I could save but that was enough.  Getting spores through Thor defenses takes a *LOT* of spores!
It takes considerably less if you can cut it off from a command node before it's built. :)
"Fate. It protects fools, little children, and ships named 'Enterprise.'" -William T. Riker

cecel123

Okay stdout, you win! Officially my favorite mapmaker due to consistency in both fun and challenge level! Just imagine a 512x512 PlayAsCreeper level...too bad my computer can't!
"Mom, why would I do drugs when I have video games?"

DestinyAtlantis

I too have a high fps drop (about 1:2+ or so (in-game seconds to real-world seconds)), also at a point in the game, i had to pause the game to be able to give my units commands (i couldn't sellect them/tell them what to do/target while playing).
Other than that, another awesome map   :D

stdout

Thanks cecel123, I appreciate the kind words.

DestinyAtlantis, I know what you mean. My computer struggled a bit with this one, too. I wanted to make a huge PAC map and I did but my next one will be significantly smaller. I'm thinking a nanomap like J is doing would be fun for PAC.

jkukka

Lioncourt

I think this map is sweet, I still want runners!! :)  But being able to select all the spore towers at once would be a nice feature.
The funniest thing about time is when it doesn't...

RrR

Quote from: Lioncourt on October 05, 2014, 10:42:08 AM
I think this map is sweet, I still want runners!! :)  But being able to select all the spore towers at once would be a nice feature.

There were runners in one of the beta versions. One spawned from a spore tower with each spore release. The runners were completely useless. A couple of times in the end game they stunned a reactor, otherwise they just couldn't get close to anything. In this game, if a structure is close to live creeper it is probably doomed anyway.

Perhaps in a different game where it is possible to get creeper near to structures, but difficult to overwhelm them, perhaps because of a height difference, runners might be useful.