Custom Map #217: Ptechnological Pterror. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, February 10, 2014, 07:56:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #217: Ptechnological Pterror

Author: planetfall
Size: 100x150

Desc:
[PF #5] As a war rages around them, Skars and Lia push onward to save the life of one man... (WARNING! Contains spoilers.) #CRPL #CustomEnemy #Spores #Digitalis #NoRunners #Void #PFSeries

planetfall

I swear, the next map will have a cool new enemy in it. I swear it!
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Helper

Save, save, save your game...then save it again...

Wow - great example of 'tough, but fun'.
Just got blown away for the third time, but think I know how to get past what got me.
This is your basic barn-burner.

Helper

Any hints on where I go from here?
I can't figure out those special devices you have built into your maps.

Asbestos

Quote from: Helper on February 11, 2014, 09:17:27 AM

Put a Beam in that cross-shaped thingamabob.

Helper

Quote from: Asbestos on February 11, 2014, 10:01:16 AM
Put a Beam in that cross-shaped thingamabob.

Thank you, but I have plenty of Beams to handle the Spores.
What I can't figure out is where/how to put the Emitters where they'll take out the remaining targets.
It appears to have something to do with the unique towers that planetfall uses.
H

eduran

Quote from: Helper on February 11, 2014, 09:17:27 AM
Spoiler
You have to use one of the void-to-terrain Terps. Either build one using the constructor or use the one on the center right side of the map. Ctrl+E explains how they work.
[close]

Jamz

Helper

@eduran - thank you. That did the trick and I was able to finish.
For the life of me, I can't figure out the "Constructor".
Is there a Q&A/FAQ about that somewhere that I'm missing?

planetfall

Quote from: Helper on February 11, 2014, 02:19:17 PM
@eduran - thank you. That did the trick and I was able to finish.
For the life of me, I can't figure out the "Constructor".
Is there a Q&A/FAQ about that somewhere that I'm missing?

I probably should make a FAQ or "chart of units" thread... For the time being Ctrl+E works on all custom units and enemies, though.

The constructor is that thing with five rings on the tall ridge. You use it to build advanced (crpl) units by building certain combinations of normal units in its rings. To do so you must connect to the tech shrine (gray square things) for that unit. Ctrl+E on the tech shrine will tell you what the unit does and how to build it.

Also -- you can land CNs in AET areas? Well that kind of ruins things...
Spoiler
Free power zone from the start and save dax before you get the "hurry up and rescue me" artifact
[close]

Oh right... you moved it... Probably should have included a crplcore that creates unterraformable bumps so there's no 9x9 area to land on.

Well, that's an idea for another map.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Helper

planetfall -
Thank you for responding.
When I LCTRL click on the Ptero-Former, it says place a Terp in the red ring, then a Strafer, Bomber, Guppy, and another Terp in the green rings.

When I do that, all I get is the above named items.
Can you look at the picture attached and tell me what I'm doing wrong?
I was able to finish with using only the Ptero-Former that comes with the map, but would like to create more - for the speed in building terrain.
Thanks,
H

Helper

Wow!
Never mind - something just happened and it created it.
Good thing it's Beer O'clock here, cause I need one.
H

Jamz

Oh wow, really enjoyed this map. I think this is probably my most favourite so far of all your maps (all of which I enjoyed.)
Really liked the idea behind creating land on voids.
A nice tricky start which needed some thought behind it as there were emitters on both sides to defend against but also a corrupted forge which needed to be taken out quick to prevent spores from going out of hand.
And then once that was done, BOOM, a whole different ball game in the approach that was needed to finish the rest. But fortunately, a good supply of ore and aether meant that things didn't take an awfully long time as the Ptero-Formers were quite inefficient anyway (as they were supposed to be.)

So all in all, I thought it was yet again, a nice innovative map, and one which was well balanced too in terms of difficulty.

Thanks for the great map and as always, am looking forward to the next map! :)

planetfall

Quote from: Helper on February 11, 2014, 05:03:37 PM
Wow!
Never mind - something just happened and it created it.
Good thing it's Beer O'clock here, cause I need one.
H

The reason is that in the screenshot you hadn't connected to either of the tech shrines with the pteroformer icon on it. I take it you built a relay next to it at around Bottle:59? :P

Jamz

Just some other things by the way...

I wasn't able to build a Ptero-Former on the left PZ after nullifying that emitter. It seems this occurred because the constructor can only move 3 cells/pixely/square thingies at a time meaning I couldn't quite get the centre of the constructor on that PZ. Wasn't a major problem though as I managed to make up for the speed by building multiple Ptero-Formers as was advised in-game. I suppose though I could've built a Generator PZ and a Ptero-Former would've quite likely fitted well on that.

Secondly, again I'm really sorry, I dont know if it's just me being a bit slow-minded but would you mind explaining to me the stats that contribute to the Ptero-Formers capabilities? I think I've got it right. The Build Cost is pretty self explanatory. Then for the Cell Cost, is that the cost it takes to terraform one bit of land? And then Seconds per Cell, is that how long it takes to terraform one bit of land?
Also thirdly, am I right in assuming that the Ptero-Former stores 100 energy/packets? Assuming that I am right about what the Cell Cost is, then it would make sense that my Ptero Former would only terra-form 12 bits of land before going for a refill because 100/8 = 12.5 (when I was first connected to the tech shrine on the left, not the one on the top right)