Custom Map #9855: Inhibitor on vacations. By: Martin Gronsdal

Started by AutoPost, February 08, 2022, 05:24:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Weasee

good one H - a more optimal collector placement as D suggests!

I go for the grid because it's way easier to do that quickly, and easier to then fill the grid with reactors.

For most of these kinds of levels, the key is getting tons of power, really fast, so you can just blast whatever comes.

@Martin: you should make whatever levels you like, as D says, don't try to cater to everyone!  Personally I like the puzzle aspects (i.e. the start of this level up to about when the first two big emitters on the lower left/right are taken), the rest is really just multitasking to finish the level.

Martin Gronsdal

my comment about maps that appeal to all was... an obvious joke, as I've been trying to make... oh well, less likable maps ;)

D0m0nik

That's the ticket H, now get a wriggle on and smash out the rest of it!!

I think the start is the easy bit in regard to setting a good time. The hard part is maintaining that intensity for the duration of the game. Those energy bars want to be flickering green/red from start to finish.

POMie

Haha I'm feeling a bit foolish now...

Spoiler
I spent time last night carefully building one spore attractor at a time in different places and then dropping in sprayers to collect the rewards. When loaded, I created a moveable attractor and dropped it near an emitter then nullified it. It was slow but I took out about 3 emitters before I thought there must be a better way and, sure enough, Weasee had found it (my sanity thanks you!) so I'll give it another go later.
[close]

Martin, your maps are outstanding and I marvel at your creativity and cruelty  ;) I rarely rate maps (simply because I forget) but I try to give you a 10 to bring you to a wider audience. Thank you for all the work you put into them.  Be assured that there are people all of the world who light up when they see you have uploaded a new challenge.  :-*

This CW3 game is simply extraordinary in terms of being a platform for others to build upon. It is so well constructed and pure that it evokes a mathematical formula for me. Something clear, balanced and almost obvious that I forget that Knucklecracker must have spent years wrenching it into being and refining it.  It is almost as if he anticipated its potential and forsaw the perversity of inventiveness that you mapmakers are capable of.  A thing of beauty and wonder. Sigh.

Martin Gronsdal

I just melted! Thank you for your generous comment and for playing!

Martin Gronsdal

I don't want to be rude, as I respect all players here, but I'm slightly surprised by the downloads/scores ratio on this map.

There are no trick here, no secret paths, nor anything like that. Yet, only 6 people finished this, out of 58 who downloaded. Is it because you folks don't bother to finish or is it the start?

D0m0nik

Yeah I would say it is the start. Out of the 6 that finsihed you have me W and H who are all very nifty players and it was tight for us.

Martin Gronsdal

if it was tight for you, I rest my case and overrule myself.

Weasee

I would say there _is_ a secret here, with the
Spoiler
single superpowered totem
[close]
if you don't find it, it would be very hard at the start.

However I am used to your tricks, and the very first thing I did (even before unpausing!) was go go round and check them all ;D  ;D  ;D

D0m0nik

Yeah true, if you started right at the bottom in the safest place you wouldn't get started.

Helper

Quote from: D0m0nik on February 11, 2022, 03:02:43 AM
Yeah true, if you started right at the bottom in the safest place you wouldn't get started.

(Me raising hand.)

That is exactly what I tried to do. I kept trying to maximize power and build up enough Beams to survive that first 25 Spore crush.
That picture of W's was worth (almost) a thousand Beams, and everything flowed from there.

I struggle with running multiple attacks around the board but had a lot of fun knocking out the 20 strength Emitters and replacing them with those triple-barrel Berthas.

A note for those struggling with the surviving the first Spore onslaught: You have plenty of time to build out your web of Collectors, build your Forge, and get your defenses up. A few Cannons will hold off the Creeper but you will need to focus on getting enough Beams in place. Once you find that balance you will dominate the map.

Attached is my 0 second starting position.
Note that only one Totem is going to be used and I'm starting with only 3 Collectors being built. As I start the build out, I will increase the number of collectors (and add the Forge), keeping the Energy meter flickering at about the zero mark.
Getting the Forge online and the massive Aether flow going is how you get your initial defense (defence) up and then start your counter attack.

That concludes my presentation.
Are there any questions?
H

teknotiss

Quote from: Helper on February 11, 2022, 03:40:45 AM
Are there any questions?

yes...

why didn't you put your CN's in a neat row for that screenie?  :( :o :o :o

;) ;D 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

Quote from: teknotiss on February 11, 2022, 06:19:27 AM
Quote from: Helper on February 11, 2022, 03:40:45 AM
Are there any questions?

yes...

why didn't you put your CN's in a neat row for that screenie?  :( :o :o :o

Good point.
I'm going to replay the whole game from this start (see below).

Thanks for the wake up call!
;)

;) ;D 8)