Custom Map #3900: Idea Islands. By: tamrin

Started by AutoPost, August 30, 2016, 03:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D0m0nik

Hey

Build about 7-8 collectors and two cannons. You should be able to push forward with these, best to keep close-ish to one edge of the square, you should have an energy surplus to build a beam. Once you get close enough build your nullifier.

My rough timings -

23 seconds - 7 collectors built and a cannon just started
35 seconds - first cannon built, 2nd started to build
50 seconds - 8 collectors and 2nd cannon starts to advance. Start beam build. Move one cannon forward at a time and inch forward.
1.50 - nullifier placed
2.56 - nullifier fires
3.00 cannon onto PZ
3.10 Beam onto PZ

3.30 first spores come into range.

This is a slow start form me, you have enough power with 7 collectors for three cannons, just disable one when you build the nullifier.

GoodMorning

The two Cannons and one Mortar seemed to me to produce a faster advancement. Then again, I was happy to put the economy in deficit for as long as it took to build the Nullifier. I don't recall, but I may not have built the Beam until I had the PZ already.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

PMouser

huh, i cant win this even with the hints, i get beat be spores
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

D0m0nik

Can you follow my timings at all? Should be simple if you can keep up with those times.

PhailRaptor

I've conquered the entire north west section now.  But it took me a while, and now I'm having an issue at the south east corner.  The Creeper has reached depths of 400+.  I've been sending huge numbers of sacrificial Mortars down there, but the huge travel distance involved ensures that I can barely make a dent on the Command Node landing zone.  Worse, that 1 Emitter on the tiny island just above there is now overflowing out into space.  It's reached the narrow land strips and is flowing along them now.

Am I gonna have to start over, or can I still deal with this?

D0m0nik

I think this is one of those maps that if you are not quick it becomes quite difficult. To take this map you land units supported by guppies, so yes, I would start again!

stdout

When I played this map, I remember that I took a LONG time before assaulting the southeast corner. When I finally did, the creeper level was quite deep. I sent at least 10 full waves of mortars before enough had been cleared. So, rather than starting over you might try that.

GoodMorning

Mortars seem to be the greatest Creeper/load efficiency. Then just keep building. When it starts to thin, add Cannons. At this point, build a few PZ Guppies. Their readying time should approximately match the transit time of the Cannons, meaning that they arrive before the Cannons are discharged.

PhailRaptor

Quote from: stdout on September 07, 2016, 09:26:47 PM
When I played this map, I remember that I took a LONG time before assaulting the southeast corner. When I finally did, the creeper level was quite deep. I sent at least 10 full waves of mortars before enough had been cleared. So, rather than starting over you might try that.

The lowest I could get it to go was ~350, and that involved a good 6 sets of 8 Mortars that I micro'd to land 1 set after another to maintain almost constant fire until I ran out.  I guess I'll try again, and instead of taking out the whole northwest corner, I'll just do that starting bit and then start sending Mortars.  Or do you REALLY need the Guppies to maintain in order to reposition the Command Node?

GoodMorning

You need them.

For the mortars, cover the entire surface of the far southwest. Don't be tempted to try and land a CN until that entire landmass is Emitter-free. Guppies are your friend. If there aren't Mortars trying to land near the Terp, send a bigger force.

A Guppy can pay for itself in additional shots, but for the Mortars, the term "Suicide Mission" is appropriate (although they are unmanned buildings...).

D0m0nik

Just to clarify, you don't need to clear the smaller island for the CN, just clear the bigger south East island and use guppies to build nullifiers. Then use the pzs to clear the islands fire the CN.

GoodMorning

And for the sake of precision: for the CN, not fire the CN. Autocorrect, I suspect.

Once you have the island, set up a small base, it will be powering the mainland for a time. Or just leave enough Guppies there as batteries.

PMouser

how do you take the inhibitor? I cant fly into it, can i cant land cn in there, and relays cant reach, i am stumped, ty
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

stdout

Hover the CN over the area while you build the nullifier. It's challenging, and helps to have a thor in the bottom left area to help keep the creeper cleared.

Loren Pechtel