Custom Map #2441: Tripwire. By: warren

Started by AutoPost, August 28, 2015, 07:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

warren

Well, assuming you've tried several strategies, here is a final hint to enhance those strategies. (Only for those trying for a fastish solution)

Spoiler

Pieces are limited as you want to step on as few wires as possible. So... 1 shield, 1 blaster, 1 mortar, 1 relay, 1 nullifier.

To place all those pieces, you will need to step on two wires. The one for the emitter to nullify, and a wire for a distant emitter.

Pause the game before the first piece lands and make last minute adjustments. you want them to land at the same time.
[close]

D0m0nik

I used less pieces:

Spoiler

The key for me is that to nullify something you only have to trigger a wire for two seconds, once to make a emitter emerge (hit pause and place the nullifier) and then a second time when the nullifier is fully charged to make the emitter reappear. When I hit my first emitter I had one mortar and one cannon on level 10 platforms with one nullifier charged by a guppy with a another guppy flying over head to take over.

Guppies can land in very small spaces because, as Warren pointed out, they only register on one dot of land instead of the usual 9 so no need for relays.

You can land guppies at all four corners without triggering off an emitter!
[close]

I go on holiday for two weeks but would love to spend more time on this, I am sure could get under 20 mins, just nee to work out which is the softest spot, for my initial run I went south just to the right. Hope I've not added too many spoilers Warren, I know its nice to keep some mystery but you seem happy to share tips on this one, it is a very interesting challenge!

RealAndy

Wow, absolutely wow, stayed up well past my bedtime because I wanted to get the thing out (I'm a teacher, not a kid :)).
Didn't try the guppies, but lots of terraforming to avoid my first nullifiers being washed away by creeper.

pastor.healer

Warren, I am blown away by this map!  I just got accepted at M.I.T. and will take a course on CRPL so that I can come close to what you have done here. 

As a side note, I read your comment about not making any more maps... Warren, don't listen to critics in life.  Oh by the way, did I mention, "DO NOT LISTEN
TO THE CRITICS IN LIFE!"  :)

Keep up the great work here and there...  Blessings

warren

Well, thanks for the praise several people on this map. It is somewhat interesting. The only popular map of mine that uses less code than this one is that one with the freeze effect. The two scripts are really small, and one is only used in creating the map.

Currently, the dome has to be placed at the start of the drawn wire or it will crash. If anyone wants to use wires in their own maps, I can upload a bugfixed version, with the <spoiler> exploit removed and a couple speed optimizations.

Peter R

This map is perfect!!   :)
Thanks for making it, I enjoyed playing it a lot.

Cavemaniac

Well done warren.

You've made a map that everyone's talking about.

And in a good way!
Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.

Flash1225

Actually neat concept. As I understand, you have to take out ALL of those emitters, as usual? I noticed that red signals disable the emitters, and green signals enable them. I, probably like a lot of other people, was skeptical of the signals, and it nearly broke me...
Considering how many turns my life has taken (good and bad), I'm still fairly neutral to it all. I take the hits, I don't react overly.

warren

Now I'm curious. What was there to be skeptical about? (for research purposes as I am a student of design and need to understand user experience.)

Alter Old

Briefly:

• This is an extremely original and very interesting map.
  • I am sure that IPWIW achieved his result by illegal means (fact stands his unenviable statistics and already registered illegal results on other maps).
  • I am confident that I can beat his time:), just that I need more free time because the number of variables requiring simultaneous control is too large.
  • warren, my compliments.
As usual, forgive for my English.

warren

Thank you very much.
I would be surprised if you can beat 10 minutes, as those are 50 strength emitters, and at least 10 nullifiers are needed, and energy is tight. I too have wondered if I could make 6 minutes, but I think it is impossible.

Loren Pechtel

Wow, this one's quite a puzzle but eminently doable.  I really can't understand the short times, though!

I have to disagree with some of what has been said in this thread about strategy, though:

Spoiler
You can use more pieces in an attack.  Once you have stepped on a wire it's stepped on, stepping on it again does nothing.  There are places where you can place multiple pieces so as to step on only one wire.  I terped them up to level 10, it wasn't that hard to keep the creep off and build a nullifier.

As for the emitters with no wires--some wires run along underneath the emitters.

Finally, once you have reached the outside edge you can step on a wire and start a nullifier then move the piece that's stepping on the wire.  The emitter closes up but the nullifier still builds.  When it's ready to fire step again, ideally on as many wires at once that it can hit.  This means you don't need to keep killing the creep while it builds.
[close]

stdout

I finally got a chance to sit down and play the map all the way through. 10/10 and favorited. It took me about an hour to beat it but a lot of that time was spent just letting it run and watching the packets. I am certain I can get a good time and am looking forward to replaying this and seeing how much better I can do. Thanks War! Great map.

warren

Today I shall make a hat of spinach and then eat it. A score was posted under six minutes. That is insane.

I can almost imagine doing it in 15 minutes.

Also I am really happy that everyone likes this map. I did not expect this. Thank you for your comments.

.-..-""``""-..-.
        |(`\`'----'`/`)|
         \\ ;:.    ; //
          \\|%.    |//
           )|%:    |(
         ((,|%.    |,))
          '-\::.   /-'
             '::..'
               }{
              {__}
             /    \
            |`----'|
            | [#1] |
            '.____.'

Awarded for extreme speed to Alter Old (5:39.7)

D0m0nik

I too thought (and still think) IPWIW posted a fraudulent score purely on the grounds that I thought it impossible to get under 10 mins.

Alter Olds score however is incredible, if anyone hasn't seen them check out his 2 youtube videos, it is a real education!