Custom Map #1788: The Godfather. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, March 02, 2015, 04:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1788: The Godfather

Author: Xeos
Size: 150x200

Desc:
The Godfather's hideout has been found! Can he resist being taken down by the Fed's? PAC map style but with a difference.. This isn’t very hard but a little computer intensive so apologies in advance if you find it slow. I also suggest you save it frequently as you play because one key feature (replacing emitters for Spores) has been changed. Thanks and credits go to Grayzzur for his help with the code and also stewbasic, teknotiss, hubs & stdout #PAC #PlayAsCreeper

Xeos

If you are struggling to get started, then here is the start sequence...

Spoiler
The AntiCreep emitters on the beach can be flipped with enough toxic creep. A direct hit will flip them instantly. Take the 2 left ones immediately then activate the field. Then attack the shield on the left and then you can see how the map plays - Look out for the top right as there is a little treat :)
[close]
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Xeos

I have just been told by a friend that the map is lagging too much for them to play it. I am sorry if this is the case for you. I am fortunate that I have a very good computer ( as I am a 3D CAD Design Engineer) and only noticed a bit of slow down.
I will do a smaller version of it so it will be quicker

RrR

It didn't lag too badly on my old laptop. The visuals are spectacular, and the upgrade from beams to SAMs is interesting. I wasn't so keen on not knowing where the PZ were going to appear. It makes it difficult to be strategic.

Xeos

Quote from: RrR on March 02, 2015, 07:58:33 AM
It didn't lag too badly on my old laptop. The visuals are spectacular, and the upgrade from beams to SAMs is interesting. I wasn't so keen on not knowing where the PZ were going to appear. It makes it difficult to be strategic.
Thanks RrR for taking the time to post your comments. I am a real noob programmer and spent literally hours and hours getting this to work. In retrospect, I agree with your view that not knowing where the PZ's are can be a problem and I will avoid that in future.. Thanks again for your input :)

mzimmer74

No lag here.  Fantastic map!  Definitely going in the favorites list.  I need to play it again now that I know what's going on. 
Spoiler
I was all but done before I took the upper right corner.
[close]

I didn't mind the "randomness" of the PZs as much, although it is true that it made it harder to plan.  I actually found the limitation more worrying than the randomness.  Not being able to switch between emitter and spore had me worried.  However, you left enough PZs that it ended up not being too much of a factor.  I wasn't wild about the color scheme, but that could have been just me.  I understood why you changed it to fit the story line...it was just hard for me to distinguish where the AC was. 

The one thing that I found myself wishing would not be there was the repeating message for the limited PZs.  I know you need the message at least once, but after the first time it was just annoying.  Not sure if that's something that can be changed in future maps or not.  Something like a global variable that checks whether or not the message has been given should do the trick.

Anyway, loved the map.  Thanks for another great one!
Omnipotence doesn't mean the ability to do what is logically impossible. It's possible, therefore, for God to create beings with the kind of free will that can choose between good and evil, but he can't also force those creatures to choose good. If he forced their choice, it wouldn't be free.

Xeos

Quote from: mzimmer74 on March 02, 2015, 10:08:35 AM
No lag here.  Fantastic map!  Definitely going in the favorites list.  I need to play it again now that I know what's going on. 
Spoiler
I was all but done before I took the upper right corner.
[close]

I didn't mind the "randomness" of the PZs as much, although it is true that it made it harder to plan.  I actually found the limitation more worrying than the randomness.  Not being able to switch between emitter and spore had me worried.  However, you left enough PZs that it ended up not being too much of a factor.  I wasn't wild about the color scheme, but that could have been just me.  I understood why you changed it to fit the story line...it was just hard for me to distinguish where the AC was. 

The one thing that I found myself wishing would not be there was the repeating message for the limited PZs.  I know you need the message at least once, but after the first time it was just annoying.  Not sure if that's something that can be changed in future maps or not.  Something like a global variable that checks whether or not the message has been given should do the trick.

Anyway, loved the map.  Thanks for another great one!

Great feedback thank you :) - The thing with this map was I started out with a simple idea (start with a single spore)and then got carried away  ;D I tried a few things and my noob scripting skills limited me getting exactly what I wanted. I realise the hidden PZ's don't really work for strategic reasons and I will bear that in mind in future...  I want to keep trying things though. Stick them out there and see what happens!  so the single spore and no PZ's in sight would make peeps go ???  ..  love it  ;)
Thanks again for posting - It is much appreciated :)

stdout

Great map, Xeos. Obviously you spent a lot of time bringing us a fresh new game with new concepts and ideas. A rare 10/10 from me.

Xeos

Quote from: stdout on March 02, 2015, 11:18:59 AM
Great map, Xeos. Obviously you spent a lot of time bringing us a fresh new game with new concepts and ideas. A rare 10/10 from me.
Thanks stdout :) I think some peeps might be getting frustrated by not knowing how to play it (and not seeing the top right corner) as the ratings are a bit lower. Maybe lag is an effect too?
Anyway, the ideas are overflowing, .. The next map is something that is probably only ever going to be done once, and it's an 80's retro fun map with just over 1600 images on it :) It's taking a bit of time as you can imagine ...
Thanks again :)

teknotiss

Quote from: Xeos on March 02, 2015, 11:53:50 AM
Thanks stdout :) I think some peeps might be getting frustrated by not knowing how to play it (and not seeing the top right corner) as the ratings are a bit lower. Maybe lag is an effect too?
Anyway, the ideas are overflowing, .. The next map is something that is probably only ever going to be done once, and it's an 80's retro fun map with just over 1600 images on it :) It's taking a bit of time as you can imagine ...

well i worked out the flip-mitter from the description text. ::) but at no point have i see any PZ's or any live D, so even if i uncover one (
Spoiler
under the shields? haven't taken one yet
[close]
) how do i get a unit placed if the D isn't live?
leaving people to find all this out is legit if it's your intention, but be prepared for worse ratings when dudes who can't be bothered to look in the forum just downvote and move on!
great design, good work on the SAM's too, fun little change, and when i work out (get told) how to get some D going i'm sure it'll be a fun play. 8)
as it is it turns out that "less is more" isn't true for either a: heavy metal or b: map descriptions! ;D ;)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stdout

teknotiss: The totem will start the digitalis activation. Hit that with your spores and you'll be underway. Your opinion of the map will change a bit as you get a feel for what is happening. PZs will become available as you take ground.

Xeos: The game lagged a bit for me and I wish it was smoother and faster but that didn't detract (much) from the game play. I think most of the performance is simply a limitation of the game engine itself. I never noticed anything in the top right corner, though...

Xeos

Quote from: teknotiss on March 02, 2015, 12:28:49 PM
Quote from: Xeos on March 02, 2015, 11:53:50 AM

Well i worked out the flip-mitter from the description text. ::) but at no point have i see any PZ's or any live D, so even if i uncover one (
Spoiler
under the shields? haven't taken one yet
[close]
) how do i get a unit placed if the D isn't live?
leaving people to find all this out is legit if it's your intention, but be prepared for worse ratings when dudes who can't be bothered to look in the forum just downvote and move on!
great design, good work on the SAM's too, fun little change, and when i work out (get told) how to get some D going i'm sure it'll be a fun play. 8)
as it is it turns out that "less is more" isn't true for either a: heavy metal or b: map descriptions! ;D ;)

Hi tecknotiss :) The SAM's were given to me by Grayzzur. I had to work out how to get the conventional spore tower to fire his custom spores though which are needed for the SAMS to work. This  took me forever and the coding is ugly but a minor miracle and I got them to work.. :) - it only started by me asking how can I change the colour of the spore from blue ... ha ha :)

The way I have noob scripted  it is when a cell is uncovered, it heavily damages everything at that point, creates a PZ and some digitalis to place something on and set it live ( you need to do this instantly else you will lose it hence why I pause the game when one is uncovered). The only thing is you only get to place one emitter or a spore once as the PZ is not reproduced should you Shift-X it . The Totem is at the bottom and can be taken quite easily.
Yes stdout, the lag appears to be a problem  for some people :( and I will bear that in mind on the future creations
Thanks for your help and input as always ;)

RrR

Top right - cryptic. Would have been useful had I found it earlier.

Xeos

Quote from: RrR on March 02, 2015, 01:33:59 PM
Top right - cryptic. Would have been useful had I found it earlier.

See I thought a a player of your calibre would have spotted that.. I even made it flash to make it easier to see ;)  he he

stdout

I replayed it and this time took the top-right corner first and now I know what the thing does.
Spoiler
It was helpful. :)
[close]