Custom Map #1691: Queen Annabelle's Castle. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, February 01, 2015, 03:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teknotiss

Quote from: Helper on February 02, 2015, 09:22:12 AM
Quote from: stdout on February 02, 2015, 08:35:13 AM
Many curses are considered profane in the USA...Damn is one such curse.

Well I'll be damned!
I never knew that about living in the USA.
Live and learn.
H

well perhaps we can use "durn" if it's an issue. or perhaps "dag'nammit" this last one is one of my cartoon favs!
i tend to avoid "damn" since it's a religious curse and i feel it's unnecessary to invoke eternal torment generally  ;)
either way, it is only just borderline, so i don't report that one when i come across it.
still i'd like to see more funny exclamations ("Yomping Yimmeny", "Jumping Jeosephet" etc) rather than efforts to get mild cursing into these games. ::)
i tend to speak a little like a sailor with friends, but politely when in other company, and i include the web and this forum in particular in that last group, so it's not a prudish thing, just a situational one! 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Helper

Good ones!
"Dad-gummed" and "dad-blasted" are pretty common here in the Smoky's - maybe I'll stick with those.
"Hell-fire & brimstone" and "Damnation" might best be left to the preacher man.
:)
H

Xeos

I would have never have thought that word would have such an effect. As I live in England, that word is used all the time in family situations and the like and no one bats an eyelid ??? . The thing is, if it's deemed an inappropriate word, how can I change it now?
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Helper

Quote from: Xeos on February 02, 2015, 11:28:57 AM
The thing is, if it's deemed an inappropriate word, how can I change it now?

Xeos - sorry, I should have been tagging many of my comments with '/sarc'.
There is nothing wrong with your word choice - there have been many, many that were much more objectionable to just about anyone seeing them.
The ultimate arbitrators are the Admins/Mods and you would have been contacted by one of them.
In this instance, please feel free to ignore those of us in the peanut gallery and just go make another game.
Thanks,
H

Xeos

Quote from: Helper on February 02, 2015, 11:35:36 AM
Quote from: Xeos on February 02, 2015, 11:28:57 AM
The thing is, if it's deemed an inappropriate word, how can I change it now?

Xeos - sorry, I should have been tagging many of my comments with '/sarc'.
There is nothing wrong with your word choice - there have been many, many that were much more objectionable to just about anyone seeing them.
The ultimate arbitrators are the Admins/Mods and you would have been contacted by one of them.
In this instance, please feel free to ignore those of us in the peanut gallery and just go make another game.
Thanks,
H

Ok Helper :)  The whole reason I put the effort in to make these maps is to see the comments in the forum that people like them and they have enjoyed playing them, so the last thing I would want to see is someone not enjoying it as much because of a term I used that they disapproved of.. I will be careful with that on the next map as when I conceived this idea, I had the the thought that I would make it a series of maps telling a story.. Unfortunately, it was going to get a bit grim in places! so if the audience for these maps is peeps of any age, then I will need to tone that down quite a bit..
Thanks for your input :)

stdout

Xeos your maps rock and we all want you to keep making them. :)

SgtScum

Damn fine artwork though the map itself was extremely easy.

Just push along the land by the void between the castle and guns ignoring the defense until you make the base retreat to orbit then take it over and bridge the void at the left hand corner to cut off the left beam tower then its over in a blink.

Xeos

Quote from: SgtScum on February 02, 2015, 07:14:14 PM
Damn fine artwork though the map itself was extremely easy.

Just push along the land by the void between the castle and guns ignoring the defense until you make the base retreat to orbit then take it over and bridge the void at the left hand corner to cut off the left beam tower then its over in a blink.
Hi SgtScum,
This map was never meant to be hard (although it turned out that I found an even easier way to beat it that I didn't see before) . I wanted to get it out there to see if people liked the 3D concept and then we could take that further in future maps.
I didn't want to turn people off by making it too hard and not fun to play, especially as there are still a lot of new people trying PAC maps out there and this was aimed at drawing them in.. If you see the comment above by Helper, he says he doesn't often play PAC maps but played this one because the graphics caught his eye and he found it fun to play.. This was the aim of this map for me and as he enjoyed it, that makes me happy. I hope you enjoyed it too :)

Linden

I've played this a few times now, and I'm still impressed. If you usually pass on any comments to Ashley, your son, then tell him thank you from me, and that I think he's amazingly clever. :D

Xeos

Quote from: Linden on February 03, 2015, 01:52:11 PM
I've played this a few times now, and I'm still impressed. If you usually pass on any comments to Ashley, your son, then tell him thank you from me, and that I think he's amazingly clever. :D
That's kind of you to say that and thank you :)  I will tell him now - He has recently designed a card game ( as a bit of a sideline ) and he got it published on Kickstarter so you can see more of his conventional character artwork here if you want to :)  https://www.facebook.com/Bushbabygames

Linden

Quote from: Xeos on February 03, 2015, 01:57:48 PM
Quote from: Linden on February 03, 2015, 01:52:11 PM
That's kind of you to say that and thank you :)  I will tell him now - He has recently designed a card game ( as a bit of a sideline ) and he got it published on Kickstarter so you can see more of his conventional character artwork here if you want to :)  https://www.facebook.com/Bushbabygames

Wow, it looks really good! We're sort of complacent now about ideas for new board or card games - the ideas have been done to death over the decades - so it's brilliant to see a new one invented. Well done to him. :)

Xeos

Thank you Linden :)

We have started working on the next map in the mini series of the exploits of Queen Annabelle and the Black Knight.. It's the story of the Damask draped Damson Damsel from Amsterdam - She is adamant that she will cause severe damage to the Black Knights pursuit of victory and the madam's (or madame's) will to succeed will not be dampened   ;D

Linden

Looking forward to it, Xeos! :)

So, go on - do tell. What's the quick way? I can't get lower than 42 mins, but I saw that some people have found your secret. :D

Xeos

I could actually get quicker but It would take a bit of planning but for my fast time this is the way I did it..

Spoiler
Firstly, pulse the first emitter then occupy the empty PZ with an emitter when you can. Then when the creep has filled up quickly, change that emitter for a spore and attack the totem (just out of range of the beam to maximise effect) and take the totem - change the spore to an emitter and synchronise them to pulse at the same time. Drag the field through and take the next PZ with an emitter. As soon as you have done this pause then change the first 2 emitters to spores (pause obviously will synchronise them). Across the void directly above there is a beam. Aim the spores just below that and fire twice to neutralise it (if you do it right, 2 times should be enough). Then immediately after that aim the two spores at the bottom mortar at the bottom of the right tower ( there are 2 motars side by side and you need to target between them.) if you get this right, after 2 lots of spores have been fired it should cut off the supply to the sprayers and the beam at the top of the front right tower.     When you have done this, use the spores to bridge the gap in a dead straight line towards  the right Command Centre and then when the gap is bridged, push creep straight towards it and take the CC (using spores to help you) - When you have the three PZ's there are lots of options now. You can take the other CC on the left tower and when power is cut off to the beam on the front left tower, take the other CC. You should experiment here and see if you can do it better than I did from here.

Bear in mind that if you have creep in front of the cannons they will fire so that is like a free spore ( if where it is aiming is useful to you)

To get my best time, it was all about tuning each fire of a spore that it was the most effective so it took a lot of playing with.
[close]
The thing is, The idea of the map is to try and take the ground to the left of the castle and then attack from there. So whilst this method above gives you a quick time, its not really what the map is about. Sometimes it doesn't matter about how fast you do it as it can take away from the fun IMHO :)

Linden

Aargh I tried to go that way a few times, but thought it was impossible.  :-[

I do agree about the left side, and I've played it quite a few times that way (it's very replayable). It was simply my curiosity, really, because I tried every combination I could think of but still didn't get the secret. Sorry if I've made you reveal something you didn't want to, but maybe you could think of the secret way as being a flanking attack by a company of skirmishers or something? :D