Custom Map #1587: THE DEVIOUS ARACHNID. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, January 09, 2015, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xeos

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 09, 2015, 05:18:54 PM
this map is a sweet puzzle- sweet enough to get me onto these forums.  I do this thing that I don't know if it's a thing or not on PAC maps and was wondering if it's just me-

Spoiler

I start a digital track over open space with a spore, load it up to 10-15 depth, and smash the T button twice to delete the creeper, dump it into space, and then start re-forming it into more spread out digitalis
[close]
That method is necessary to do the map but no one has done it quite like I wanted them too ha ha. The spores are so hard to predict how they are going to be used and where because  whilst you can control their use to a point, there is always someone who finds another way :) Like you ! ha ha

Glad you enjoyed it though. I t makes the hours and hours it takes to make it and test it worthwhile .. 8)
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

stdout

Xeos, it's a compliment when people find multiple ways to win a map. In fact, to me the most important aspect of a map is that it should offer numerous ways to win.

This map gets a rare 10/10 from me and it's one of my favorite PAC maps yet. I eagerly anticipate the next challenge you throw at us.

Xeos

Quote from: stdout on January 09, 2015, 05:48:36 PM
Xeos, it's a compliment when people find multiple ways to win a map. In fact, to me the most important aspect of a map is that it should offer numerous ways to win.

This map gets a rare 10/10 from me and it's one of my favorite PAC maps yet. I eagerly anticipate the next challenge you throw at us.
Wow cheers for that :) I put a lot of effort into to making it interesting and I hope I achieved that. Hubs helped me out with a script for the Runner Nest so thanks to him too else it wouldn't be up :)

I've got too many ideas for my own good ha ha !
cheers again

Helper

Quote from: Xeos on January 09, 2015, 04:20:39 PM
"...Drag a field straight ..."

FINALLY!
I figured out how to use that dad-gummed "Field" thing.
I've clicking and clacking on that icon for two days and nothing worked.
Thanks - playing it now.
H

Linden

Quote from: Xeos on January 09, 2015, 04:20:39 PM
The start sequence can be done like this...

This is the start sequence explained....
Spoiler

Step 1: From the emitter, Drag a field straight up towards the PZ through the Totem- lay down lots of digitalis and when the wall goes lay down more digitalis to get the first pz with another emitter
Step 2: Support the first emitter and then get the Totem on the left - You will need to play with the field to get this.
Step 3: Switch the support to the second emitter and using the now more powerful field, take the cannons up through the middle 
[close]

Hope that helps :)

Spoiler
I did part of your Step 1, then used a spore tower to get around the cannons to the relay, cutting power to the cannons. That was after many restarts - haha! I just dragged straight up through the totem, let the creeper build up behind the wall, then it flooded up the field into the PZ. That's the only way I could get started.
[close]

Great map, Xeos! Thank you so much. :) Now I can replay it and try different ways to get going. :D

UrMawMah

Quote from: Xeos on January 09, 2015, 05:35:55 PM
Quote from: UrMawMah on January 09, 2015, 05:18:54 PM
this map is a sweet puzzle- sweet enough to get me onto these forums.  I do this thing that I don't know if it's a thing or not on PAC maps and was wondering if it's just me-

Spoiler

I start a digital track over open space with a spore, load it up to 10-15 depth, and smash the T button twice to delete the creeper, dump it into space, and then start re-forming it into more spread out digitalis
[close]
That method is necessary to do the map but no one has done it quite like I wanted them too ha ha. The spores are so hard to predict how they are going to be used and where because  whilst you can control their use to a point, there is always someone who finds another way :) Like you ! ha ha

Glad you enjoyed it though. I t makes the hours and hours it takes to make it and test it worthwhile .. 8)

Yeah, i've found you can pull off some seriously shifty shenanigans with scarcely sufficient spores and slick field strategies.

Once again though, kudos on the map!

Helper

Finally finished it, but am simply amazed at some of the scores.
With CW2, really great players would sometimes post videos of their game play, and I would like to see some of the techniques in use here.
Thanks for a fun-filled bunch of hours.
H

Xeos

Quote from: Helper on January 10, 2015, 10:00:22 AM
With CW2, really great players would sometimes post videos of their game play, and I would like to see some of the techniques in use here.
H

Glad you liked it Helper :) It also amazes me with some of the scores too ! I have no idea how they do it and would love to watch a video too :)

UrMawMah

Quote from: Xeos on January 10, 2015, 10:02:53 AM
H

Glad you liked it Helper :) It also amazes me with some of the scores too ! I have no idea how they do it and would love to watch a video too :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2weWBCXy3_Q&feature=youtu.be

...Anything for my fans!

Well, you might not really be fans, I might not have any fans at all, but the narcissist in me demands it.

Also, I shaved five minutes off in this run.

Xeos

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 10, 2015, 11:34:49 AM
H

...Anything for my fans!

Well, you might not really be fans, I might not have any fans at all, but the narcissist in me demands it.

Just watched it and thanks for doing it. Good time too ! Watching that has given me an insight into a good players mindset in approaching a map like this and will help me build better maps. So thanks again for doing it and great play  ;D

UrMawMah

Quote from: Xeos on January 10, 2015, 11:48:52 AM
Quote from: UrMawMah on January 10, 2015, 11:34:49 AM
H

...Anything for my fans!

Just watched it and thanks for doing it. Good time too ! Watching that has given me an insight into a good players mindset in approaching a map like this and will help me build better maps. So thanks again for doing it and great play  ;D

Yeah man, it's not a problem.  I'll record the hell out of my plays if that's what you want.  These PAC maps are great, especially the smaller size ones, they're usually more puzzle-ey and i'm not above playing them a half dozen times or so to bump up my speed some. (you know, by prodding the weaknesses and doing those things you really don't intend ;))

If you ask me, the beginning was definitely the best part- if you don't get the timing just right, and place the field just perfectly, it stalls quickly to an unbeatable point, and since it's the beginning, and it's quick to tell when it's stalled to the unbeatable, resetting a few times doesn't lead to much heartbreak.

*EEEEEEEE* he called me a good player!!! *EEEEEE*

Xeos

Right - well I challenge you to play it and you can't place a spore until you reach the most northern PZ . When you have taken that, you can take the spider. After that you can do what you want :)

Tell me how you get on ;)

That's how I intended it to be played :)

UrMawMah

Quote from: Xeos on January 10, 2015, 01:19:59 PM
Right - well I challenge you to play it and you can't place a spore until you reach the most northern PZ . When you have taken that, you can take the spider. After that you can do what you want :)

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmabtr_XeQ&feature=youtu.be

It took me 16 minutes to get that PZ, I could shave a few more minutes off of it, but I covered it and gave up; that's so not the most efficient way to do it!

Taking that runner farm and shuffling the creep around that much are just super huge time sinks.

Xeos

Quote from: UrMawMah on January 10, 2015, 02:47:10 PM
Quote from: Xeos on January 10, 2015, 01:19:59 PM

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJmabtr_XeQ&feature=youtu.be

It took me 16 minutes to get that PZ, I could shave a few more minutes off of it, but I covered it and gave up; that's so not the most efficient way to do it!

Taking that runner farm and shuffling the creep around that much are just super huge time sinks.

Loved watching that and seeing it played exactly how I designed it . I loved the way you managed the digitalis. Thanks for taking on the challenge. I will certainly need to be more aware of the talent out there playing this game !  8)

UrMawMah

I have a few more sneaky tricks if you want me to share them (privately, so as not to ruin any surprises) to make even more absurd puzzle maps.