Custom Map #1587: THE DEVIOUS ARACHNID. By: Xeos

Started by AutoPost, January 09, 2015, 03:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1587: THE DEVIOUS ARACHNID

Author: Xeos
Size: 160x120

Desc:
This is a very hard PlayAsCreeper Map. I have designed it to be quite challenging but it might be too hard for some new players to PAC maps as you will need to use the full range of skills in playing PAC maps to beat this. So good luck and I hope you enjoy it :), but if you get stuck, make a post in the forum and I will help. All comments in the forum whether good or bad are very helpful and appreciated. Cheers Xeos #PAC #PlayAsCreeper

Xeos

Quote from: mmh on January 09, 2015, 03:50:36 PM
Nice one!  :D
Cheers - Did you find it challenging? did you get it right at the start first time?
A child of 5 could beat this map ... Go fetch a child of 5 !

Loren Pechtel

mmh

Quote from: Xeos on January 09, 2015, 03:55:28 PM
Quote from: mmh on January 09, 2015, 03:50:36 PM
Nice one!  :D
Cheers - Did you find it challenging? did you get it right at the start first time?
It was challenging and fun. I had to try a couple of different approaches until i found a way. I might try again to get a better time.

Xeos

I'm intrigued to know if you got the start sequence right or did you have to do a few restarts?

crispy

I am having real problems getting started with this one and normally I don't having a problem, must be missing something?

Ferig

stdout

Change the emitter to store the creeper before releasing it. To do that, click on the emitter and then press the letter R. A red dot will appear and now the emitter will store up 400 creepers before releasing.

Ferig

Quote from: stdout on January 09, 2015, 04:12:20 PM
Change the emitter to store the creeper before releasing it. To do that, click on the emitter and then press the letter R. A red dot will appear and now the emitter will store up 400 creepers before releasing.

Well, I have already tried it and I'm still stuck... I tried to overload that AC emitter right in the south, I thought it would change to a normal emitter, but ...

Xeos

The start sequence can be done like this...

This is the start sequence explained....
Spoiler

Step 1: From the emitter, Drag a field straight up towards the PZ through the Totem- lay down lots of digitalis and when the wall goes lay down more digitalis to get the first pz with another emitter
Step 2: Support the first emitter and then get the Totem on the left - You will need to play with the field to get this.
Step 3: Switch the support to the second emitter and using the now more powerful field, take the cannons up through the middle 
[close]

Hope that helps :)

stdout

Awesome map, Xeos. Here's how I did it:

Spoiler
Once I took the first PZ, I built a spore tower on it. Then the first spore took out the relay above the group of 4 cannons! That cut off all the units and they quickly ran out of ammo. It didn't take long for the entire south of the map to be cleared of units. Then I used the spore tower to build a digital network over to the runner nest. Once the runners were let out of the box, I turned the spore towers attention to the void between the east island and me, and the rest is history.
[close]

Xeos

That is what's great about this game. There are endless ways to approach it. You even used the runners as I didn't expect.
But glad you enjoyed it :)
Cheers

Stave

Neat! I did it a third, different way!

Spoiler
Took the 2nd PZ, replaced my first emitter with a spore and cut off the relay, like stdout. Except from there, I used spores spores and fields to push over to the middle CC and took it out, then went after the right CC. Once I had those PZs, I turned them all into emitters and took over the original AC generating totem and runner nest. I tried the left CC with 100% emitters, with very near tantalizing success, but it just wasn't going. I switched to all-but-one spores, and that took it down pretty quickly.
[close]

I'm considering giving it another go to try and improve my time, now that I realized a better way to end it!

UrMawMah

this map is a sweet puzzle- sweet enough to get me onto these forums.  I do this thing that I don't know if it's a thing or not on PAC maps and was wondering if it's just me-

Spoiler

I start a digital track over open space with a spore, load it up to 10-15 depth, and smash the T button twice to delete the creeper, dump it into space, and then start re-forming it into more spread out digitalis
[close]

How I did it, however-

Spoiler

Set the first to burst, forced it to the second PZ where I planted a spore tower, at this point, I knocked out the first three cannons
Got the runner nest (for no reason) and the totem (for good reason) near the start
started a digital network leading from the second PZ
deleted spore tower and changed it to an emitter, made it take focus and started pushing the creeper from the emitter into the open space network, then did the open-space digital trick
Took the eight PZs and the one near it, adding spore towers
pointed all of the spore towers into the open space, very near the zig-zag and forced the creeper onto the land with the beam tower and then the cannons.  once the reactors were destroyed, "found the sweet spot" and started shuffling pools of creeper around the open space just outside of the second beam tower range, made it to the point where I could destroy the northernmost cannon with a small puddle.
pointed the spores to the top left most corner and was able to shuffle it down until victory.

I ignored the runner farm, and the cannons in the middle to rock it out
[close]