Custom Map #1144: StormTheCastles. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, September 15, 2014, 08:47:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1144: StormTheCastles

Author: stdout
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Our inexorable march toward the capital city of Daventry has not gone un-noticed by the humans, and they have responded with terraformed strong castles, armed with formidable forces. A valiant effort, to be sure, but ultimately they will fail. We are eternal in number and the more we consume, the stronger we get. Take these castles. Smash their machines and cripple their defenses. #PlayAsCreeper and thanks to stewbasic (again) for the CRPL. Big thanks to Linden and RrR for beta testing this map.

teknotiss

do you hail from 'famptonshire? i grew up in a town called toaster (well that's how it's said anyway, not spelt!!) :D
this is the second mention of daventry i think i've seen from you!
great map dude!  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stdout

Thanks - I'm really glad you liked the game!

The Daventry reference comes from the very old video game King's Quest which was set in the imaginary land of Daventry. Also, my first name is Dave so I always liked the idea of a kingdom named after me.  ;D Plus it sounds cool. Every time I need to come up with a location name, I always default to that.

Linden

Fabulous, Stdout. It's even better now. I've played a few times from various start points, and it's great fun! I can't seem to manage to keep more than one start-point up and running, but it's fine - I'm a self-confessed noob anyway. :)

stdout

The north and east ones are lost causes BUT you can use them in the early game as supports for the other emitters.  ;)

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: stdout on September 15, 2014, 03:15:26 PM
The north and east ones are lost causes BUT you can use them in the early game as supports for the other emitters.  ;)

As far as I can tell they're all lost causes.

Linden

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on September 15, 2014, 03:33:13 PM
Quote from: stdout on September 15, 2014, 03:15:26 PM

As far as I can tell they're all lost causes.

A tip:

Spoiler
If you start at the west, you can quickly take the second PZ and use a spore tower to advance a little.

If you start at the south, you get a better foothold.

For either case, link the emitters. You'll lose the others but they're very good to give you that fast foothold (as stdout said).
[close]

RrR

It is possible to keep at least three of the initial emitters alive. I've managed West Central & East and West South & East. Was easier when I held the Centre emitter. Need to defend against nullifiers while probing for weakness - challenging.

teknotiss

i went with holding west, center and south, i may try west, east and south this time.
north might be an idea though... hmm many replays of this map i feel! 8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

stdout

Replayability is something I try to shoot for with these kinds of maps.  :)

Ratboy

Quote from: stdout on September 16, 2014, 11:25:51 AM
Replayability is something I try to shoot for with these kinds of maps.  :)
I think I've played each of your PlayAsCreeper maps at least 10. This one I played 4 times in a row trying to get a good time. Really I made this account to say thank you and to ask that you please keep making these types.

stdout

teknotiss

Quote from: stdout on September 17, 2014, 03:14:36 PM
Thank you Ratboy!

i've had two of these style maps under construction for a few weeks now and they are both nearly done, but since this one has the cancel script i'll have to restart them! >:( bummer huh?

stdout

What do you mean by the cancel script?

If I can provide any help, by all means ask. stewbasic has also said he'd be glad to provide whatever assistance is needed.

teknotiss

i was using the first map as a basis, and the cancel button doesn't work in that one.
but i noticed it did in yours, perhaps stew fixed it and i missed that post, if you didn't do it  ::)