Custom Map #1106: RiverTakeBack. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, September 05, 2014, 09:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linden

Quote from: stdout on September 10, 2014, 04:14:37 AM
Thanks pastor, I appreciate that. I enjoy your games a lot, too. They are different and challenging.

I'm working on my third #PlayAsCreeper map right now and have some real progress. This next one will be a Storm The Castle map and my main challenge is not making it too much of a slog. When you do those big castle maps, there is a lot of firepower and a lot of PZs with mortars and such-like. This means the creeper just grows and grows in response, in order to get big enough to make the assault. I played my new map this afternoon and frankly, I found myself getting bored. So once I figure out how to make it more interesting and fun without being such a slog, I'll have a new map for everyone.

Let us beta-test it for you. :D *begs on bended knees!*

stdout

stdout

I have posted a beta of my new map. You can download it and comment on it over here:

http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=17120.0

Feedback (on the other thread, please!) will be very appreciated.

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: DestinyAtlantis on September 09, 2014, 11:07:50 AM
Loren, if you mean the one o the north on the same level, i couldn't take it either, instead, boost the emitter on the bottom left and fill the valley with digi, and use the fields to get on the higher levels, or boost a different emitter, and get a foothold on 1 level higher than you base to distract that other pz cannon, so when it runs out of ammo, you can take the PZ beam, from there it gets easier.
Notes:
1.When i boosted emitters, i only used 1 main, and 1 support, and left the other 3 to hold the front line on the bottom base.
2.Before i started going for the top-left base (even for the bottom left emitter for that matter), i took the first PZ up-hill on the bottom with fields and digi.
BTW, don't you need only level 1+ creeper to make digi growth? Or did stdout change that???

Where are the PZs you are talking about?  I only get three.  And I find spores are shot down nearly instantly.

DestinyAtlantis

The forth is the bottom-left corner, that PZ cannon, that you can starve rather easily by breaking his 1 long relay connection.
And yes, they are shot very fast, i tried taking out the PZ shield with the nearest spore-tower (they barerly survive), and while it took a while to get destroyed, it didn't help at all, so i changed my assault to the top-left base, just use some fields to obliterate the PZ beam (seriously, it died in less than half a second, though i may have been at 3x speed), if you need help taking it out, distracting the PZ cannon to the left with some digi from a different side helps, from there taking out the rest of the base is easy (and since it takes FOREVER for the PZ Bertha to build, just 1/30 of a second of creeper on it, and bye, bye, future Bertha). After that you have enough PZs to make them into spore towers/support emitters (whatever you prefer), and just a few normal beams that can't possibly stop you (though there is 1 more PZ Beam to the far-right)

teknotiss

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on September 11, 2014, 01:46:04 PM
Loren, if you mean the one o the north on the same level, i couldn't take it either, instead, boost the emitter on the bottom left and fill the valley with digi, and use the fields to get on the higher levels, or boost a different emitter, and get a foothold on 1 level higher than you base to distract that other pz cannon, so when it runs out of ammo, you can take the PZ beam, from there it gets easier.
Notes:
1.When i boosted emitters, i only used 1 main, and 1 support, and left the other 3 to hold the front line on the bottom base.
2.Before i started going for the top-left base (even for the bottom left emitter for that matter), i took the first PZ up-hill on the bottom with fields and digi.
BTW, don't you need only level 1+ creeper to make digi growth? Or did stdout change that???
Where are the PZs you are talking about?  I only get three.  And I find spores are shot down nearly instantly.

Loren
on page two of these comments (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=17087.msg122154#msg122154)
I provided a step by step approach that got me a fast time, with a screenshot. Did you try it?
if so and it didn't help, i can go back and replay and do some screenies of my method if that would be more use.
if you didn't try it, TRY IT  ;) i do have a pretty good time on this map :D so i reckon it could work for you too.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: teknotiss on September 12, 2014, 02:19:13 PM
Quote from: Loren Pechtel on September 11, 2014, 01:46:04 PM
Notes:

Loren
on page two of these comments (http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=17087.msg122154#msg122154)
I provided a step by step approach that got me a fast time, with a screenshot. Did you try it?
if so and it didn't help, i can go back and replay and do some screenies of my method if that would be more use.
if you didn't try it, TRY IT  ;) i do have a pretty good time on this map :D so i reckon it could work for you too.

Nothing I try gets me more than the three PZs in the center.  I can't cut the link to the SW cannon, I can't get the creeper up the hill to the PZ just to the south.  The beam in the NW kills any spores almost the instant they launch so I can't use them to cut the link to the SW cannon.

stdout

Check this screenshot out Loren. Once you get three emitters you can chain them all to support the center one, then use the creeper mover to push creeper down to destroy that relay that is feeding energy to the blaster on the PZ. Once his ammo is exhausted, you take over his PZ.

While doing this Abraxis will periodically destroy your bottom-right emitter. Just build it again each time.

teknotiss

Quote from: stdout on September 13, 2014, 01:43:29 PM
Check this screenshot out Loren. Once you get three emitters you can chain them all to support the center one, then use the creeper mover to push creeper down to destroy that relay that is feeding energy to the blaster on the PZ. Once his ammo is exhausted, you take over his PZ.

While doing this Abraxis will periodically destroy your bottom-right emitter. Just build it again each time.
(image clip)

Loren
stdout's image is exactly my start, except I used the field to push C onto the hill where the two relays and the nullifier are built, so i rarely had to worry about that emitter (pulse mode and the field can do it, click-hold the D zone as the emitter pulses and you can grab D zones bit by bit), i occasionally had to push C back to refresh the D while i attacked that hill.
perhaps playing paused with "n" to do frame by frame (hold it to fast forward frame by frame) will help, timing at the start is critical, i think i had all three pz's inside 3 mins (maybe 2 mins on my best time) using "n" at the start
i guess if you are really stuck i can post a map with a secure start, but you can do it dude  8)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus