Custom Map #1106: RiverTakeBack. By: stdout

Started by AutoPost, September 05, 2014, 09:47:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Csimbi

Hello,
it seems I can't get out of the initial box.
Spoiler
I place and emitter to the right, but I don't seem to be able to build digitalis onto any of the other places of power in any direction (needs L2 depth creeper).
By the time L2 creeper spreads onto the next place of power (any one of them, depending how I route the digitalis), two Berthas fire and there's the nullifier that takes out the emitter twice every Betha shot intervals.
I've been at it for hours. Trying to time it right, but I did not succeed.
[close]
Any tips?
Thanks!

Linden

It's a matter of timing, I found.
Spoiler

At first, I let the emitter do its own thing, then as soon as the first Nullifier is dead I switch to burst (select the emitter and press R), then use the Field (press 4 and drag) and eventually you'll spread enough digitalis and be safe from the nullifier.
[close]

There's very probably a better way to do it, because I'm certainly not the fastest to complete the level.

I believe:

Spoiler
It's possible to use E and build up creeper until you need it, but I dunno how to do that.
[close]

Oh, and it's great to spread creeper following the lines of the hills - you can spread loads that way.

Ragnarok

really good map! a bit difficult at first, and challenging all the way through! 9/10

Linden

Quote from: Csimbi on September 06, 2014, 06:57:48 PM
Hello,
Spoiler
I place and emitter to the right, but I don't seem to be able to build digitalis onto any of the other places of power in any direction (needs L2 depth creeper).
By the time L2 creeper spreads onto the next place of power (any one of them, depending how I route the digitalis), two Berthas fire and there's the nullifier that takes out the emitter twice every Betha shot intervals.
[close]
Any tips?
Thanks!

Oh sorry, I think I misunderstood! My comments were for getting started, whereas you're just past that. Oops. Well, here's another try:

Spoiler
Do you use the keyboard 1-4 or mouse click to lay a Field and spread digitalis? I have my left hand hovered over keys 1 through to 4, and change as needed. I find it's much easier to respond to required commands that way (eg if I see a teeny bit of L2 creeper to digi up, I hit 1 and left-click much faster than I could hit Pause, click the Digi icon, etc etc).

If you are using the keys and not the icons, then I don't understand. :D Sorry.
[close]

teknotiss

Quote from: Linden on September 07, 2014, 11:40:22 AM
Quote from: Csimbi on September 06, 2014, 06:57:48 PM
Hello,
Spoiler
[close]
Any tips?
Thanks!

Oh sorry, I think I misunderstood! My comments were for getting started, whereas you're just past that. Oops. Well, here's another try:

Spoiler
Do you use the keyboard 1-4 or mouse click to lay a Field and spread digitalis? I have my left hand hovered over keys 1 through to 4, and change as needed. I find it's much easier to respond to required commands that way (eg if I see a teeny bit of L2 creeper to digi up, I hit 1 and left-click much faster than I could hit Pause, click the Digi icon, etc etc).

If you are using the keys and not the icons, then I don't understand. :D Sorry.
[close]

hey man if it's the start you need help with this my effort was pretty good.
but i think you don't need tactics, just a trick.
if you put the emitter on pulse mode with "e" or "r" you can store a large amount of C in the emitter. a red bar grows showing it's capacity, it floods out when full or when you press "e" or "r" again.
this allows you to use the largest Digi brush size ("e" makes brush smaller "r" makes it larger, "t" toggles it to wipe Digi and back) by holding left click over the region and as the pulse wave of C washes past it puts down D growth areas.
also go for a totem soon, they give your field weapon the power to push when they are on D. it may push a little anyway, hard to say, but it really works when totems are attached to your D network
and emitters can be chained together to increase power, select the emitter you want to use to support and click the emitter you want to produce loads of C.
hope that helps, if not ask again and i'll do some screenies for you 8)

edited for clarity
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

ljw1004

This is the first "play-as-creeper" map I've played that had actual strategy and challenge. It was great fun. I loved the "starve one resource so you can take out the next PZ". Excellent job stdout. 10/10

For your next map -- how about the creeper has lost the ability to build spore towers, and has to claim a tech item to regain that ability?

Csimbi

Ok, thanks for the responses. It seems the problem was that I did not use the 'field' power correctly.
Now I can control the creeper far better and I took out the southern region first.

There seems to be a bug, see this screenshot.
The ammo of the three Berthas in the lower right corner keep keep recharging (and firing!) even though they are not connected.
If not a bug, the AI should not cheat so obviously.

teknotiss

Quote from: Csimbi on September 07, 2014, 02:52:55 PM
Ok, thanks for the responses. It seems the problem was that I did not use the 'field' power correctly.
Now I can control the creeper far better and I took out the southern region first.

There seems to be a bug, see this screenshot.
The ammo of the three Berthas in the lower right corner keep keep recharging (and firing!) even though they are not connected.
If not a bug, the AI should not cheat so obviously.

well it might make it too easy otherwise, but i suspect it's tied to the increasing rate of fire they have too! :)
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

orangina

I loved both of your maps with this theme. Thank you for them. I love alot of maps but this was new, interesting, and exciting. i loved it.

Loren Pechtel

This one has me stumped.

I've got the three PZs on the valley floor no problem but I can't go beyond that.

I see the power problems with the NW base but they're not enough to let me take out the cannon to the north.

What do I do?

DestinyAtlantis

Loren, if you mean the one o the north on the same level, i couldn't take it either, instead, boost the emitter on the bottom left and fill the valley with digi, and use the fields to get on the higher levels, or boost a different emitter, and get a foothold on 1 level higher than you base to distract that other pz cannon, so when it runs out of ammo, you can take the PZ beam, from there it gets easier.
Notes:
1.When i boosted emitters, i only used 1 main, and 1 support, and left the other 3 to hold the front line on the bottom base.
2.Before i started going for the top-left base (even for the bottom left emitter for that matter), i took the first PZ up-hill on the bottom with fields and digi.
BTW, don't you need only level 1+ creeper to make digi growth? Or did stdout change that???

stdout

I didn't change anything with the digi creator. It has to be double layer to create digi.

Loren, don't be afraid to use spore towers. Using them you can starve the cannon on the bottom-left of ammo and then take that PZ.

teknotiss

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on September 09, 2014, 10:45:09 AM
This one has me stumped.

I've got the three PZs on the valley floor no problem but I can't go beyond that.

I see the power problems with the NW base but they're not enough to let me take out the cannon to the north.

What do I do?

hey dude, I got an ok time on this so perhaps my start might get you going  ;)
note: using pulse emission mode is not always good right at the start, but is basically all i use once i have two or more emitters
I killed the relay, blasters etc and saved once i had the first totem
I got the north PZ and emittered it (pushed to kill the closest two mines and spread digi, the eastern one is too hard to kill yet) then the immediately east PZ got emittered too, pushed digi to protect it from the nullifier position on the hill, then used fields to cut off the far south left PZ cannon and then pushed again to kill the other relay, then get the other totem, then the PZ!
another emitter in that PZ and support the first emitter with all others, then push for the PZ beam tower, emittered that PZ and supported with all others. then went for the 2 PZ's in the lower west spore towers and start on the nearest PZ's with the spores, then another emitter next to the CN, supported with all others and push digi under CN
All other north west hill PZ's were spore towered, and i spread digi on the hill with spores and switched to assaulting the southern hill with the emitters as I started that. All the spores were placed into the reactor farm on the west of the southern hill
hope that helps 8)

pastor.healer

This has to be my favorite map so far.  I hate to think how many I have played so far.  Nice job!

stdout

Thanks pastor, I appreciate that. I enjoy your games a lot, too. They are different and challenging.

I'm working on my third #PlayAsCreeper map right now and have some real progress. This next one will be a Storm The Castle map and my main challenge is not making it too much of a slog. When you do those big castle maps, there is a lot of firepower and a lot of PZs with mortars and such-like. This means the creeper just grows and grows in response, in order to get big enough to make the assault. I played my new map this afternoon and frankly, I found myself getting bored. So once I figure out how to make it more interesting and fun without being such a slog, I'll have a new map for everyone.