Custom Map #838: CreeperComeback. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, July 12, 2014, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stewbasic

Quote from: xoft on July 13, 2014, 05:25:53 PM
Thank you for this map, I really enjoyed playing through this.
Thanks for playing! :)

Quote from: planetfall on July 13, 2014, 06:10:59 PM
Quote from: stewbasic on July 13, 2014, 12:55:08 PM
Unfortunately it's not possible to detect when the player clicks the cancel button (or anywhere on the vanilla menu) via CRPL.
http://knucklecracker.com/wiki/doku.php?id=crpl:docs:func_usercancelaction
Oh didn't see that one, thanks. I was trying to use GetMouseDown but it doesn't seem to indicate clicks on the menu.

TheBlackKoala

Great map!
The start is pretty difficult but it get's pretty easy once you get a hang of it.
A bigger (or variable) Digitalis-creater and possibly a way to re-pick emiter/sporetower but else it's pretty much perfect.
9/10 - Great map - small improvements would be all it needs to be the perfect map.

crispy

Ok it took me nearly 6hrs but it was fun and engaging I still can't believe it took me so long but I think that is because I was not using the tool correctly to start with so everything was long winded :)

stewbasic

Quote from: TheBlackKoala on July 14, 2014, 08:44:36 AM
a way to re-pick emiter/sporetower
Do you mean if you built an emitter and want to change it to a spore tower? You can select the tower and shift+X to destroy it, and build something else once the digitalis regrows (just be sure to always keep one emitter).

Thanks for all the comments. There have been a number of good tweaks suggested. At some point I will incorporate them into the scripts and make a new map with them.

stdout

I played it through to the end twice. The first time I ended up with a 5+ hour time!! (but I played in 4x speed the whole time.) The second time I got in around an hour. Great fun game and I look forward to your next one.

PMouser

i cant beat the bertha being shot at me. and not enough creeper to defeat player.. thanks
Hi, I am a Bible believing christian.
I am a Youngevity distributor.

J

Can I take the scripts from the map and my own map with it? I'd like to make a shorter, but still challenging version of it.

stewbasic

Quote from: J on July 15, 2014, 05:29:49 AM
Can I take the scripts from the map and my own map with it? I'd like to make a shorter, but still challenging version of it.
Sure. There are a couple of changes suggested by the above comments (making the cancel button work, adding a button to repeat the initial conversation). I could make these changes and attach the map here if you'd like. Also the process of finalizing this map was a bit complicated, so unless you plan to edit the scripts a lot I should give you more details about this.

J

Quote from: stewbasic on July 15, 2014, 10:26:51 AM
There are a couple of changes suggested by the above comments (making the cancel button work, adding a button to repeat the initial conversation). I could make these changes and attach the map here if you'd like. Also the process of finalizing this map was a bit complicated, so unless you plan to edit the scripts a lot I should give you more details about this.
I'm not planning to edit the scripts alot as I'm lacking some crpl experience lately. In beta I may have been one of the best crpl coders with what was available at that time, but never tried any of the newer stuff. So if you want to give me the details for finalizing and probably even edit the scripts, I would really appreciate that.

cecel123

Sooo...if you could make more of these...yeeaah, that'd be great. seriously though, you should definitely make more of these. 10/10
"Mom, why would I do drugs when I have video games?"

stewbasic

Quote from: J on July 15, 2014, 01:35:40 PM
I'm not planning to edit the scripts alot as I'm lacking some crpl experience lately. In beta I may have been one of the best crpl coders with what was available at that time, but never tried any of the newer stuff. So if you want to give me the details for finalizing and probably even edit the scripts, I would really appreciate that.
I've made those two changes and streamlined finalizing a bit; see the updated map. Note there are lots of nullifiers, to mark the locations Abraxis will try to build them. There's also a core with Temp.crpl on the left, which you can click to toggle normal controls (useful for setting out Abraxis's units, setting the berthas to autotarget etc). It also places nullifiers at the mouse cursor if you press J. The scripts are set up so that a particular trigger unit will, when destroyed, show the second conversation and enable Abraxis's rebuilding (if you want it enabled from the start you'd need to change Temp.crpl and GameFlow.crpl).

Here are the steps to finalize the map:
* Increment one frame to make sure all the scripts have run their "once" sections.
* Save to one of the slots, eg 3, in case you want to come back and make more changes.
* Put your mouse over the trigger unit and press G. This will cause Temp.crpl to record the trigger unit, record all of Abraxis's units, reset game time and destroy the nullifiers and itself.
* Save to another slot, eg 2.
* Zoom out so that the build tab doesn't end up in the thumbnail image.
* Go to edit mode and finalize the map.
* Copy WorldEditor/MapName/save-2.cw3 to Finalized/MapName/MapName.cw3 (replacing the existing file).
* Play the finalized map as usual.

Hopefully this explains everything; please let me know if not.

Tjgalon

Oh man, that was so much fun, I hope to see a couple more like this, though it took me 2hrs to beat, I did finally learn the controls which helped a lot.

J

Can I safely resize the map (looks like resizing breaks the game) and is there somthing special with the forge? (else I'll just remove it)

stewbasic

Quote from: J on July 17, 2014, 06:09:45 AM
Can I safely resize the map (looks like resizing breaks the game) and is there somthing special with the forge? (else I'll just remove it)
I don't know whether an existing map can be resized in CW3 (you would probably know better than me) but certainly the scripts should work with any map size (are you finding they don't?)

The forge can be removed. I included it to give Abraxis packet speed and ore mining upgrades.

J

I tried to make the map much smaller. Clicking apply stretches units out over the map, but it doesn't reload with a new size. I'll just take the current size and add a lot of void =J