Custom Map #838: CreeperComeback. By: stewbasic

Started by AutoPost, July 12, 2014, 08:25:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #838: CreeperComeback

Author: stewbasic
Size: 128x128

Desc:
Play as the creeper! Here is my take on this often suggested idea. There are strict conditions on increasing creeper production, so it's all about making good use of what you've got. Thanks Grayzzur for the spore tower flower image. Thanks planetfall, Asbestos, DestinyAtlantis, J, Lost in Nowhere and Flabort for early feedback. #CRPL

chwooly

I can't even get started, How do you get digitalis to build to a pz? I get how to change the emmitter to burst mode but it takes so long that I can't get started. Is the purpose of this map just to frustrate people? is so good job
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

DestinyAtlantis

There is a help button for every unit, Digitalis growth requires 1+ level of creeper, other than that, it acts as normal digitalis would, the start isn't all that hard, though it may take you a few tries (a few 20-40 second tries). The slower parts (at least to me) were the fifth PZ (mortar) and after that the anti-creeper. Though i'm not sure if there are any changes between this and the one on the Custom Maps.

chwooly

Thanks, I finally got started but after an hour of play, I realized this was waste of time, The mortar on the 4th level is almost impossible for me to get to and to waste my time like this is just not fun. I can't give this map anything other than a low score not because I can't beat it but because I will have wasted so much time waiting to get lucky and gt a little bit ahead.  The cancel button is broke so you have to use the escape key to change from 1 tool to another, there should be at least some kind of pause between a collector or other item being destroyed and a new 1 being built.
I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do."
― Robert A. Heinlein

Honza8D

Awesome map, i love maps that add something to the gameplay. It was not very hard but at the same time not trivial like some other maps with high rating. I especially like that enemy units still act normally, so you can for examply starve them from energy. The controlls could use some polishing, for example deselecting spore tower after setting target would be nice.

Brionius

Can someone explain how to enter "burst mode"?  I can't remember exactly what the dialog box said, and since I'm in "creeper mode", I can't seem to find a way to get it back.  I tried clicking on the "Field" button, whatever that is, but it doesn't seem to do anything. (double) clicking on the emitter seems to have no effect.  What am I supposed to do here?

Dook

Cool map. Nice playing the creeper for a change  ;D
10/10 for being creative.

Helper

Gave it a try, but no fun from my perspective.
Imaginative, but when the best score (other than the maker) is well over an hour, I'll pass.
H

Loren Pechtel

Interesting idea but I don't see how to do it.  I can't see how to get enough creeper over the lip to get the digitalis up to the power zone.

DestinyAtlantis

J

To create a field, select it and drag from one place to another. You can only have up to one field at the same time!

plenty

What the field means? Transfer creep?
I don't know what to do in this map.

stewbasic

Quote from: DestinyAtlantis on July 13, 2014, 06:15:46 AM
Though i'm not sure if there are any changes between this and the one on the Custom Maps.
Apart from the bug fixes the changes were small. Supported emitters aren't slowed down by rounding. The berthas increase fire rate a little as you build more towers so that they're still noticeable late game (0.6 ammo/tower/sec). Abraxis is a bit more efficient (and faster) at trying to rebuild units. And I removed a couple of beams in the lower middle.

Quote from: Brionius on July 13, 2014, 07:49:11 AM
Can someone explain how to enter "burst mode"?
Click on the emitter (a rotating circle will indicate it's selected) and press E or R. In retrospect I should have added an "archived transmissions" button, sorry about that. You can also get lots of information by pressing 'H'.

Quote from: chwooly on July 13, 2014, 06:26:44 AM
The cancel button is broke so you have to use the escape key to change from 1 tool to another
Unfortunately it's not possible to detect when the player clicks the cancel button (or anywhere on the vanilla menu) via CRPL.

Quote from: plenty on July 13, 2014, 11:54:31 AM
What the field means? Transfer creep?
It pushes creeper in a particular direction. You can click and drag to place it (but you need at least one totem on digitalis for it to work).

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on July 13, 2014, 10:30:18 AM
Interesting idea but I don't see how to do it.  I can't see how to get enough creeper over the lip to get the digitalis up to the power zone.
You should be able to reach if you keep your emitter in burst mode, build digitalis whenever you can, and point the field from the emitter to the PZ (I apologise if any of these tips are superfluous).

xoft

This is the first map that gets a perfect 10 from me. I like the overall idea, that's what thinking out of the box means. I like how the map was structured to allow for multiple strategies. It's just difficult enough to keep me frustrated enough to play further. Getting through the AC at the top right was the toughest part for me, I've spent well over 20 minutes of game time there, unable to move forward a bit, before I finally figured out the strategy to use. This map has you thinking, it's not "get as much power as quickly as you can, then blast your way through" that the normal maps give you.

Thank you for this map, I really enjoyed playing through this.

planetfall

Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.