Custom Map #230: Watch the World Burn. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, February 16, 2014, 06:11:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #230: Watch the World Burn

Author: planetfall
Size: 128x96

Desc:
[PF #6] Another civilization, another weapon turned against its creators... #CRPL #CustomEnemy #NoSpores #Digitalis #Runners #PFSeries

planetfall

I apologize in advance for the entirely useless beam shrine. This map is too annoyingly long for me to re-beat to remove it (and is several days late anyway.)
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Clean0nion

planetfall

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Flabort

For anyone having trouble nullifying the stationary flamethrowers:
Spoiler
A PZ nullifier has a longer reach than the thrower.
[close]
My maps: Top scores: Sugarplum, Cryz Dal, Cryz Torri, Cryz Bohz (Click fetch scores, page courtesy of kwinse)

Clean0nion

Quote from: planetfall on February 16, 2014, 07:31:01 PM
No, it's obviously Phosphorus Fluoride  ::)
*phosphorous trifluoride
The next closest thing I can find is francium phosphate... but that still doesn't work.

ANYWAY, excellent map.

planetfall

Quote from: Flabort on February 16, 2014, 11:23:52 PM
For anyone having trouble nullifying the stationary flamethrowers:
Spoiler
A PZ nullifier has a longer reach than the thrower.
[close]

Or terraform a wall, but obviously that doesn't work for the ones on the max terrain.
Spoiler
You can also distract them by moving pulse cannons around in their range. I haven't tried this, but the tanky HP of a command node might be enough to keep one busy long enough for a nullifier to charge. But you don't even have to destroy them to win, and the two that are hardest to kill offer the least benefit from doing so.
[close]

burguertime

Quote from: planetfall on February 16, 2014, 06:14:38 PM
I apologize in advance for the entirely useless beam shrine. This map is too annoyingly long for me to re-beat to remove it (and is several days late anyway.)

I did not find it annoying, but I really skipped the custom units at large. The downhill creeper stand is always a pain to defend,
Spoiler
but I terped in some walls and then a battlement for my Pulse C. (elevation 10)
[close]

If you need help posting a score for a map you find too annoying, there are people with DIFFERENT opinions on the forum to help with (wink wink).

I really liked your series, and if you want to re-do this one and need a score posted, yell me up.
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.

Helper

Quote from: burguertime on February 17, 2014, 08:53:26 AM
If you need help posting a score for a map you find too annoying, there are people with DIFFERENT opinions on the forum to help with (wink wink).

I really liked your series, and if you want to re-do this one and need a score posted, yell me up.

Concur.
Just do a PM or hang around in Chat.
It is very common to get this kind of assist.

Jamz

Yet again, another amazing map.
Interesting idea with the winning conditions. I very stupidly in my first run didn't send one of my Command Nodes back into orbit before the countdown began as I forgot it takes 30 seconds to re-deploy and so had to replay the map all over again. Derp. But I enjoyed it both times anyway so I cant complain. :)

Was going to comment on the useless Beam Shrine Tech but you already apologised about that. :P And besides that's more than forgiveable seeing how much effort you put in and how good the map was. :D

As always, looking forward to the next instalment. :)

planetfall

Quote from: Jamz on February 17, 2014, 03:42:57 PM
Yet again, another amazing map.
Interesting idea with the winning conditions. I very stupidly in my first run didn't send one of my Command Nodes back into orbit before the countdown began as I forgot it takes 30 seconds to re-deploy and so had to replay the map all over again. Derp. But I enjoyed it both times anyway so I cant complain. :)

Was going to comment on the useless Beam Shrine Tech but you already apologised about that. :P And besides that's more than forgiveable seeing how much effort you put in and how good the map was. :D

As always, looking forward to the next instalment. :)

I've run out of slight variations on "thank you" and I'm starting to feel guilty because of it...

And how on earth did you get that time?   :o

Jamz

Quote from: planetfall on February 17, 2014, 03:55:42 PM
I've run out of slight variations on "thank you" and I'm starting to feel guilty because of it...

lol that's fine. Just keep making more maps. :D:D:D

Haha, well, as I mentioned, I did have to replay the map again because of that silly blunder I made on my first run and so naturally, I did things a little better and more efficiently in my second run.

planetfall

Quote from: Jamz on February 17, 2014, 04:04:33 PM

lol that's fine. Just keep making more maps. :D:D:D

Haha, well, as I mentioned, I did have to replay the map again because of that silly blunder I made on my first run and so naturally, I did things a little better and more efficiently in my second run.

Have you seen the other scores though? Second place is 27 minutes.
What was your secret?

Jamz

Quote from: planetfall on February 17, 2014, 04:21:58 PM
Have you seen the other scores though? Second place is 27 minutes.
What was your secret?

Well it's still early days. I'm sure someone will come and beat it or at least get close to it.
I remember when I got 26 mins on Ptechnological Pterror. I thought it was going to be the best but as you can see, that's been beaten now.

Anyway, as for secret, I dont think I have any secrets but I think there were a couple things I did in this map which probably made a huge difference.

Spoiler

After deploying the CNs towards the south west-ish, I went straight for the Runner Nest and Corrupted Totem on the north-ish west side and nullified them. Then built a cannon on the PZ and a sprayer besides to prevent any creeper flanking me from the west. Doing this also meant I didn't have to contend with the digitalis or creeper that would have been on that high ground or any runners on that digitalis path since I had already secured it before any creeper had the chance to get there. In essence, I won the race to that point and by doing that, I set myself up nicely to proceed. I think that area was probably THE MOST important strategic point to secure in the entire map. From there, I was then able to proceed swiftly to take out the emitters and the corrupted totems further north and then push east towards the wormhole in the north-centre and clear that area out.

Next thing I did which again I feel significantly helped was whilst I was pushing east towards the wormhole, I set 2 berthas to be constructed on the PZs which I had secured in the north west. These proved to make a massive difference. Why? Because those runners at the very north east also had totems on them. This meant they had to be destroyed too but this would've meant that I would have to extend my network and force myself through to that corner to take them out. But instead of forcing my way there, I blasted them with the 2 well aimed triple berthas. Each triple shot was sufficient to damage them and prevent them from recovering in time until after a couple of shots from my berthas, they too were destroyed without the need for me to extend my network there. At that point, all totems were gone and so the wormhole was now ready for me to drop a CN through. So that too saved me a lot of time.

Job done. :D
[close]

burguertime

Yay we got one mapmaker blushing!!!
Don't make a slog just because. Be like Master Mapmaker SPIFFEN:
Quote from: themaskedcrusader on October 05, 2010, 05:09:33 PM
(...)Difficulty is subjective. (...)
SPIFFEN chooses to rate each map as trivial because they believe that the difficulty of the map depends on the capability of the player.
BAD RATING: MEASUREMENT OF MAP HARDNESS.
Quote from: DumbCreeperGamer"Ugh, me no finish map, map too hard, ME RATE ONE.
oOga OoGa to you too.