Custom Map #189: Construction. By: planetfall

Started by AutoPost, February 02, 2014, 12:59:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helper

Quote from: planetfall on February 02, 2014, 07:29:02 PM
... but on the other hand if I explained everything at the start of each map it would take the player longer to read the intro than to play.

One of the old-timer map-makers used to post comments/further instructions right in the map thread as soon as it was uploaded. I always check the thread for hints/help/WTH kinds of stuff.

Also - TO EMPHASIZE - that thumb's up in my first post was for real (as was the Yikes!). You're doing some amazing stuff here and I'm having a ball playing your games.

Thanks.
H

Lenori

Quote from: planetfall on February 02, 2014, 05:04:56 PM
Quote from: Lenori on February 02, 2014, 04:46:00 PM
How are we to get version 1.65?  The update screen only shows v1.61.

Also, I've not been able to get the PZ to work. 
Spoiler
I've built a sheild in the middle and three relays, but it didn't look like it was charging up.  I'm figuring that it needs to be charged with the whole 100 packets comment.
[close]
What am I missing?

Get new versions from here: http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=14505.0
I made this with 1.71 but any version other than 1.72 should work (the missiles would cause the game to glitch out when beams were shooting them)

Yes, the constructor does need to be charged with 100 packets, unless you mean the PZ generator isn't charging up. In that case, it's not meant to have a visible ammo bar. If it's not consuming packets at all... that's a problem. Can you update and tell me if the problem persists?

After running the update- the constructor works.  

Altren

Awesome map, I played it and liked everything.
There are few issues though:
1. I guess you tried to do it as simple as possible, but I'm sure that operating constructor is still way to complex, and that's why map have so low rating. I figured it out after building PZ in unusable place.
2. Moving CN almost always cause short PZ disconnects, even though CN never was disconnected from network. Increasing PZ power from 3 to 4-5 might solve this issue. Otherwise it is just very annoying to keep loosing your berthas on PZ whenever you move base.
3. Could you do something about that sound? For me it was very annoying, so I was forces to play without sound.

eduran

Great map with a lot of interesting, new ideas.

Quote from: Altren on February 04, 2014, 05:26:18 AM
3. Could you do something about that sound? For me it was very annoying, so I was forces to play without sound.
The permanent sound effect on the power zones made me switch off the sound, too.

Also, I don't think that making a unit annoying to use is a good way to balance its power. I moved the constructor for a bit, created a single PZ and never bothered with it again. Moving it around is too tedious for my liking.

planetfall

Awesome map, I played it and liked everything.
There are few issues though:
1. I guess you tried to do it as simple as possible, but I'm sure that operating constructor is still way to complex, and that's why map have so low rating. I figured it out after building PZ in unusable place.
Do you mean that the instructions weren't clear enough, or that even with the instructions it was hard to use? (In my next map there will be a help system for crpl units, so if it's the former it will be less of an issue)
2. Moving CN almost always cause short PZ disconnects, even though CN never was disconnected from network. Increasing PZ power from 3 to 4-5 might solve this issue. Otherwise it is just very annoying to keep loosing your berthas on PZ whenever you move base.
I'm going to experiment with them a bit and see what works. I rarely move my base so I never noticed it in testing, sorry.
For the next map I have changed the sound to "Weapons4" (loud) when it activates and "Stunned" (quiet) for constant operation. This seems to be a common complaint...
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

planetfall

Quote from: eduran on February 04, 2014, 05:34:02 AM
Great map with a lot of interesting, new ideas.

The permanent sound effect on the power zones made me switch off the sound, too.

Also, I don't think that making a unit annoying to use is a good way to balance its power. I moved the constructor for a bit, created a single PZ and never bothered with it again. Moving it around is too tedious for my liking.

So is the "fuse multiple units into one" thing tedious as well?

I still want to constrain the way the constructor can move but I'm thinking of other ways to do it that don't require annoying repeated terraforming. My first idea is to point at the constructor and push WASD or arrow keys to move it, except I use those for map panning and speed changing, and so probably do most other people. Also if two constructors get on the same square, they would be basically as good as only one unit.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

pawel345

Maybe make a click to choose and the click to set destination, but the movement speed is really slow?

eduran

Quote from: planetfall on February 04, 2014, 07:16:08 PM
So is the "fuse multiple units into one" thing tedious as well?
I didn't mind it, you simply plop down four units and that's it.
My problem with the movement is that it takes a long time to set up a path. The constructor being slow is fine, I just don't want to spend minutes placing collectors and Terps along its path.

Th3ch053n0n3

I ended up accidentally nuking the constructor as I nulli'd the totem above it, but from what I'm reading, I don't think I'd be able to use it anyway. So I guess that worked out well, but you may want to mod the CRPL for next time so that you can't accidentally destroy it.

planetfall

Quote from: Th3ch053n0n3 on February 05, 2014, 03:51:28 PM
I ended up accidentally nuking the constructor as I nulli'd the totem above it, but from what I'm reading, I don't think I'd be able to use it anyway. So I guess that worked out well, but you may want to mod the CRPL for next time so that you can't accidentally destroy it.

I just tried, and could not nullify it. What game version are you running? It might be a new/old bug.

Hur

You have a really nice map here. But I think you ruined it a bit by integrating three new things at the same time, its too much :
1-upgrading creeper (fun) ,
2-missiles (fun)
3-the constructor (the idea is good but it is such a pain to move it around...)

I think the constructor is not suited for this map, as it is so annoying to move around, you don't want to use it for any strategic purpose and play around with it,  you only want to solve the puzzle
Spoiler
bring it to the far left do reacg the totem
[close]

Nice work though !

planetfall

Quote from: Hur on February 07, 2014, 01:02:01 PM
You have a really nice map here. But I think you ruined it a bit by integrating three new things at the same time, its too much :
1-upgrading creeper (fun) ,
2-missiles (fun)
3-the constructor (the idea is good but it is such a pain to move it around...)

I think the constructor is not suited for this map, as it is so annoying to move around, you don't want to use it for any strategic purpose and play around with it,  you only want to solve the puzzle
Spoiler
bring it to the far left do reacg the totem
[close]

Nice work though !

Thank you, and welcome!

My next map fixes the constructor being as annoying to move (it still requires a hefty amount of energy, though) and gives the player more freedom to play with it.

Also, there are other uses for it in this map, in particular building a PZ'd bertha/strafer/bomber/beam. Especially useful if you
Spoiler
move it to the right beam station and PZ it, then you have enough AC for years and missiles become nothing more than a nuisance.
[close]

Helper

Quote from: planetfall on February 07, 2014, 03:56:04 PM
Especially useful if you
Spoiler
move it to the right beam station and PZ it, then you have enough AC for years and missiles become nothing more than a nuisance.
[close]

Planetearth to planetfall: I trust that the words in your Spoiler have some meaning to you, but I can't make head nor tail of them.
:)
Would you be a little more explicit please?

planetfall

Quote from: Helper on February 07, 2014, 04:12:03 PM
Quote from: planetfall on February 07, 2014, 03:56:04 PM
Especially useful if you
Spoiler
[close]

Planetearth to planetfall: I trust that the words in your Spoiler have some meaning to you, but I can't make head nor tail of them.
:)
Would you be a little more explicit please?

Spoiler
[close]