What I would like to see in a future patch

Started by pawel345, October 05, 2013, 12:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grauniad

Quote from: Lord_Farin on October 26, 2013, 02:18:45 PM
It's very minor compared to other requests, but I'd like anti-aliasing or vector graphics rendering for the paths between star systems. If one zooms in to one of the most detailed level, there's the "M$ Paint"-y type of straight line that I think has no place in CW3.

Since I don't see that on my system, could you take a screenshot and post it here?
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

teknotiss

Quote from: Mimsy on October 26, 2013, 12:30:17 PM

- Tell units to hover or not land. (checkbox)

This one's almost cheating but you can already move a unit back and forth to make it hover manually. You could use it to, for example, drop your entire invasion force at exactly the same time. But you could also use it to build up a large number of units with just a little land, which I think goes against the spirit of the game.

perhaps against the spirit of the campaign, but i think that could be a cool game mechanic for some custom mappers. it should be a mappers choice to use though as it would break other maps
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Lord_Farin

Quote from: Grauniad on October 26, 2013, 02:30:12 PM
Quote from: Lord_Farin on October 26, 2013, 02:18:45 PM
It's very minor compared to other requests, but I'd like anti-aliasing or vector graphics rendering for the paths between star systems. If one zooms in to one of the most detailed level, there's the "M$ Paint"-y type of straight line that I think has no place in CW3.

Since I don't see that on my system, could you take a screenshot and post it here?

Please find it attached. Incidentally, I now noticed the anti-aliasing problem on other zoom levels as well. (Although the picture is JPEG, the pixelated lines are not the result from that lossy format.)
Behold, Nexus! Looketh skywards, for thy obliteration thence nighs, my foul enemy!

florrat

Some more suggestions from me:

Make anticreeper spores and spore towers to be considered as an ally, not an enemy. Specifically:
-Let beams not shoot on AC-spores. The map Alpha:redlemon:bardel was so annoying, because you had to disable/enable your beams every minute.
-Maybe: do not require that we nullify AC spore towers (I haven't looked into the map maker very much, but if you can make a spore tower which sometimes shoots AC spores and sometimes shoots C spores, then you should of course nullify those. In that case, this suggestion doesn't make that much sense...

Also: I'd like to see more save files available per map. Sometimes 4 just isn't enough (auto doesn't really count)

TLMike

I think there's more than enough room for saves. And if you really need to save more files, go into the folder and rename them. Change Map-0.cw3 to Map-4.cw3. It won't show on the load game menu because there are only 4 slots, and that would be the fifth file in sequence, but you can use the Load File planet (orbiting the DMD) to load the saved game. And you can always rename the file again if you want.

-

Anyway. I'd like to see in the next patch something which indicates the victory conditions of a map. In much the same way that CW2 did, but perhaps not on the loading/splash screen. (Although, it could go there, and I wouldn't really mind.) I think that placing the Victory Conditions of a map in the upper right, just under to red pause button would be ideal. (And perhaps it's semi-transparent when time is flowing, so it's not in the way of game play.)

See, I've just been playing J's level pack, and some of the maps have victory set when you collect a shield key, and some maps don't. The trouble is that some maps which have shield keys don't set victory when you collect said shield key. I realize this is something that a map maker should really be aware of, but it'd be nice to see somewhere on a map the victory conditions.

So, obviously, this game mechanic should have some CRPL codes which replace standard victory conditions. That is: if CRPL cores don't define victory conditions, then it should probably say something like "Mission Objective: Obliteration." If the map maker has set some other victory conditions, then s/he can write a line of CRPL which replaces that text string with his or her own mission objectives (like "Collect the shield keys" or "Survive for 35 minutes" or "Stop the Prism Ship from reaching the Armored Totem".) Maybe it's best to have a character limit of 120 characters, so trolly map makers don't write friggin' paragraphs for mission objectives. There is, of course, the problem that there could be custom mission objectives which aren't defined by the map maker (for whatever reason): in which case, the Mission Objectives would simply read "Custom" or some other variation.

Just some thoughts.

Harkler

An option to delete all runners in the editor.

The editor not set D-growth visibility on every time I click "Edit Map".

Remappable keyboard shortcuts for the editor.

Nephthys

Too bad there isn't a simple way to "like" some of these suggestions & to mark others as simply asking for too much. There are already a lot of ways to modify/personalize the way the game is viewed & played. There should also be a choice for "nitpicking".  ;) 

Maybe a mod with lots of extra time on their hands (ha!) could make a comprehensive list that could be voted on somehow. Secondly, map building as opposed to map playing could be separated.

Just my 2cents. On the other hand, maybe I'm guilty of nitpicking!  :)

pawel345

Well one can make a poll, with each suggestion as an option, but such a poll would be best done by someone who knows what is possible and what will not happen ever. Or make a Google doc where there would be possible to add new ones and vote for some, but either way in the end its Virgilw who decide what he will add to the game.

florrat

Quote from: TLMike on November 05, 2013, 12:54:51 AM
I think there's more than enough room for saves. And if you really need to save more files, go into the folder and rename them. Change Map-0.cw3 to Map-4.cw3. It won't show on the load game menu because there are only 4 slots, and that would be the fifth file in sequence, but you can use the Load File planet (orbiting the DMD) to load the saved game. And you can always rename the file again if you want.
That is exactly what I currently do, but every time I do that I wonder what reasons one could have against having more than 4 slots. I mean, if you have the possibility for 20 saves, nothing forces you to use them all, right? (note: I'm not saying I need 20 saves per map, but something like 8 would be nice)

TLMike

Virgil might be able to code up some spiffy menu which has as many slots as you need saves. But, personally, I only ever need like 2.

JF-T

Maybe tooltips for each option in the map editor and DMD?
I feel with Custom graphics it would help to atleast indicate which graphic slots are for which game entity, otherwise it might get a bit confusing.
Can't do ANY MapMod stuff due to losing my copy of CW1/2. Also known as Commander-Strife, IIIStrife, and StormyFacade.

CW2 Custom Maps

MizInIA

something I got used to in CW1 and CW2 and now miss in CW3 was being able to Mute from the units bar right next to the Pause.

Clean0nion

The following CRPL command.
CreatePacket
Arguments: Coordinates, type of packet
Notation: i1 i2 n1 -

This commands takes coordinates and a type of packet, and creates that packet at said coordinates.
Eg CurrentCoords 0 CreatePacket
0 would be Build
1 would be Ammo
2 would be AC
3 would be Ore
4 would be Totem

So if I wanted to make an ore miner replication:

once
     Self CONST_NULLIFIERDAMAGES FALSE SetUnitAttribute
     Self CONST_CONNECTABLE TRUE SetUnitAttribute
endonce

CurrentCoords 3 CreatePacket
20 Delay

Build packets would go to nearest unbuilt thing
Ammo goes to nearest unfuelled thing
AC goes to nearest unfuelled sprayer/bomber
Totem hoes to nearest totem or forge
Ore goes to nearest CN.

Otterbear

The ability to create AC emitters - both in the code, and in game as a unit say, under "structures" or "weapons".
Make amounts of AC from said emitters increase with forge upgrades.

A way to search for a particular map by name.

A way to find a planet system by number. (Tormented space ect)

Area/Unit Targeting - sometimes on island maps, your units will fire at the island with the most creeper and not the island that you are assaulting...can be very aggravating. (So far I have been able to work around this using other systems, but dreading the day that I cannot, and cannot get my units to fire in the right direction.)

I concur with others in suggesting, that AC spore towers not be considered enemies. (not fired at by my beams, and no alarm for them :) ) Nervous Ned here.

An (Obvious) way to tell an AC emitter from a Creeper emitter.

A list somewhere on the menu, or beside it listing the number of Emitters/spores ect. So you don't spend a large amount of time counting them.
(Also the amount that emitters/spores ect. produce needs some kind of neutral background so that you can read them. if placed among Digitalis or other terrain, they can be very difficult to read.)

Just for S&G's: I'm wondering, if some sort of coding could be written, that would be able to test whether or not, a map is possible to win.

Could it be possible to "categorize" maps by say "one way to win" vs "multiple paths to victory."

Limit the use of Digitalis per map to a percentage of some size.

Also noticed that with multiple connected Command structures, although the amount of energy and such produced is Supposed to be Cumulative, the amount given out is limited to the closest Command structure, and not the cumulative amount of the total amount of structures. (Could this be fixed?)

Also, wish there was a way to "Like" and "Good Grief!" a post. :D

asmussen

Quote from: TLMike on November 06, 2013, 05:03:25 PM
Virgil might be able to code up some spiffy menu which has as many slots as you need saves. But, personally, I only ever need like 2.

I think the current number is fine for the easier maps, but on the harder maps it's easy to find yourself in an unsupportable position, but not realize it until it's too late to do anything about it. It's nice to have saves at multiple points during your playthrough, so that you can backtrack to a point in time before you painted yourself into a corner without having to jump too far back. For example, I played Coritlia the other night, and I reused each of the save slots multiple times, and was definitely wishing for more. So, I'm in the camp that would like to see an expanded number of save slots per map.
Shawn Asmussen