Custom Map #3396: Roadside Picnic (1.0). By: kalek

Started by AutoPost, April 06, 2016, 03:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

I'm not complaining. I don't play for time, only to win and/or relax.

I'm glad it helped. The wiki has a lot of good stuff on CRPL, so many further queries might be answered there.

Until next time.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

toolforger

Very nice map.
Agreeing that terrain was nice. If you want to make the terrain more important, don't give terps. This means you'll have to give the players all terrain that they actually need, so that needs more care when balancing.
Hard initially, easier later. Didn't need the shield (hadn't seen that kind of price  before :o ), didn't bother to build Berthas. Actually too easy in the late game.
One thing that's super helpful is giving players some idea of progress. You don't know how far into the game you are if you don't know whether killing something creates something else or not. E.g. make the non-spawning enemies smaller.I am one of those who hate complete randomness. A bit of variation is okay, but complete randomness and "boom you're dead" with no way of foreseeing what's coming is what I hate. Maybe do something like the spore towers for the emitters; e.g. place an "emitter egg" with a timer, and when the timer is done, replace it with the emitter. That way you can give the player just the amount of preparation time that makes it fun to react.

An idea for a new map: Make something -like. I have seen that executed in another map, but it wasn't combined with interesting terrain.

yum-forum

Kalek series of maps was super amazing and exciting for me!
It is pity that he was not continued to create new maps.
Concerning "...Maybe do something like the spore towers for the emitters; e.g. place an "emitter egg" with a timer, and when the timer is done, replace it with the emitter. That way you can give the player just the amount of preparation time that makes it fun to react..." in GRG (Grabz Roulette Game) series was implemented that - new random enemy emitters or Spore Towers has a start delay and players can prepare to struggle with its.  :)

In general I recommend to play all series of Kalek maps. This is importand and very creative part of CW3.
1560 maps in CW2, CW3 and PFE till now
last

toolforger

Quote from: kalek on April 07, 2016, 11:44:36 AMThat way the random display for the player is only surprizing the first time. If you restart the mission, you know exactly where the ennemies will be dropped... (I am not sure if this is very clear ???)...

It is, but it's a map that requires 10/10 hindsight to play well.
Winning with hindsight is a form of cheating.

Karsten75

Talk about necro'ing a post. :) You are responding to an 8-year old post. That post could be in school by now. 

toolforger

This forum is about maps, and if a map is 8 years old, then there's no choice but revive the thread.

stdout

Quote from: toolforger on March 09, 2024, 01:54:46 PMWinning with hindsight is a form of cheating.

I always considered that in CW3 we are taking on the role of a person who has control over time. He can pause time to give him time to plan and think, he can speed time up when necessary, or slow it down (to 1x anyway). He can also travel backwards in time (by replaying the map from the beginning) and he can jump to specific points in time at will (using the save slots).

The ability to control time is the only truly effective advantage we have over the creeper.