Custom Map #1751: Return of The Creep (PAC) 4. By: Ranger Von Danger

Started by AutoPost, June 13, 2021, 04:50:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1751: Return of The Creep (PAC) 4

Author: Ranger Von Danger
Size: 230x230

GadgetBoy

Unplayably hard, unless you mean for it to take several days of a war of attrition...

Shatterstep

Quote from: GadgetBoy on June 14, 2021, 12:00:29 AM
Unplayably hard, unless you mean for it to take several days of a war of attrition...

There is a way to do it quickly. I got it done in 9m 41sec on my first try. I know I could do better if I tried again.

• Go right to kill the ERNed sniper x 2 and mortar. (see first picture)
  • Switch to all launchers and target inside the crazonium fence. Place an emitter down even though you shouldn't have enough. It will activate when enough creeper is down, then you can delete a launcher so it materializes.
  • Repeat the above to get enouther emitter next to that. You might have to target the mortar near that spot instead.  (see second picture)
  • Once you have that foothold, Use FIELDGEN and emitters to kill the factory.
  • After factory just keep laying emitters down and try to head towards the rift lab. (see last picture)
I only use 1 or 2 FIELDGEN at a time, the rest emitters. Once in a while I'll use a CRIMSON. The attached pics should help. In the last pic I only had a CRIMSON for a very short time after that.

I thought this map was ok, but only because I didn't have to go through the slog that the rest of the map would have been.

I save frequently, so I can try risky strategies. If they don't pan out I can just load back to just before the risky move. I had 9 saves so I was able to load them back up to see what had happened. I lucked out and didn't need to reload when I got this time. Did make it handy to take screenshots though.

rowlet

Quote from: Shatterstep on June 14, 2021, 01:27:53 AM
I thought this map was ok, but only because I didn't have to go through the slog that the rest of the map would have been.
Personally I don't like to cheese things like this on a first play through. I can see the intended path of almost looping around on the right side to clear out supply lines and to gain more creeper production, but it is just so hard to do.
The main problem was the shear amount of bertha cannons basically halving creeper production followed by a massive amount of anti creep building up.
I might give it another try later but I don't want to have to cheese the map to even have a chance of winning.

Morthica

That was the most frustrating map ever - I restarted 11 times. All your other maps have been fantastic.. this though, this..

Don't do this again please.

CS Z

Aaaaand now we're back to PAC maps that I don't know how to play.  I thought I somewhat understood Field Gen, but I guess not.  Never could figure out mesh/xmesh either.

Even a very weak cursor would be a major improvement to PAC maps like this.  Or at least a strategy assistant that shows up if the player is clearly struggling.

Shatterstep

Quote from: CS Z on June 14, 2021, 11:46:29 AM
Aaaaand now we're back to PAC maps that I don't know how to play.  I thought I somewhat understood Field Gen, but I guess not.  Never could figure out mesh/xmesh either.

Even a very weak cursor would be a major improvement to PAC maps like this.  Or at least a strategy assistant that shows up if the player is clearly struggling.

Mesh - Places mesh down in creeper.  If it isn't deep enough nothing gets put down. Also, it can't replace other specials. So if there is creeper breeder, absorber, shattered land, or resource, etc... mesh can't be placed down on that. Note that you have to change the size from the default of zero (on this map) to something else for it to be usable. It will consume a small amount of creeper to create the mesh.

XMesh - Deletes mesh. Make sure size isn't set to zero. Should refund a small amount of creeper from deleted mesh. (Note that my maps don't refund anything since I usually have pre-existing mesh at map start.)

Field Gen - Pushes creeper and AC around. Just like emitters it has to be placed in deep enough creeper for it to activate. When placed, make sure to select the newly placed Field Gen and select which way you want it to push creeper / AC.

It should leave behind a target reticule showing where it is pushing stuff towards. Multiples can assist each other, but have greatly diminished pushing ability. Best to have them push in parallel.

littleletoni

Really enjoyed this one. Yes it was a slug to finish, but I felt like I had something to defeat for the first time in a PAC map.

A hard but methodical map, this was not one of the PAC maps where just spamming stuff is the correct answer, figuring out a plan of action before starting is a important factor on this map. holding certain places denied them from just pushing back, while strategic pushing with fieldgens or launchers made short work of certain otherwise difficult walls. Truly a fun grind map where the resistance was high enough to be a challenge.

GadgetBoy

I also wanted to add that the bomber lines were probably the biggest detractor from the whole thing. Either bombers or berthas, please.

knightace

I found this fun. Long if not cheesing it, to be sure. I tried a few strategies but ultimately I probably settled on the path meant. Maybe.

First gained some ERNs from the units south-east.
Then overtook the walls to the west to leave some creeper auto-breeding. Couldn't overtake the whole thing due the Thor to the west but that's fine. Long as the AI couldn't control it and overtake anything.
Then took the walls+ERNs directly north. The refineries blew up by happenstance; I wasn't even trying...shutting off the AI's AC generation. OK, cool.
Pushed up the wall in the middle/west of the refineries...next to the Thor...and just left 2 emitters sitting fat'n'happy on top of the breeder to keep the AI from rebuilding anything. Didn't want them to overtake walls or gain any land back. 2 held them off just fine. Also left an emitter on the wall to the east to keep the AI from rebuilding its cannons.
Pressed advance north-east until I freed the spore unit; then ignored it entirely. The egg-shots kept the AI from reclaiming anything there and netted creeper growth.
Shoved west - *between* the two Thors, placing emitters between the buildings and easily overtaking the mortars.
After that I followed the road north. Overtook the tower+wall of mortar+cannons then wrapped to the east...attacking the Thor location from the north-west. Overtook it easy with a fieldgen. Didn't kill the Thor...just left it floating there and moved on.

At that point the rest of the map was as good as defeated. I had too many ERNs for them to resist any option I chose.

Ah; as for the bombers...meh. I ignored them. They weren't too bad since they were attacking in a line rather than beating down a single location. Thank goodness for that!

Ranger Von Danger

haha, I hear you all. And here I was thinking that I was making maps too easy :P

I struggled with it a bit myself, but ultimately decided to post as is because of my previous statement. That said, I have played maps that were frustrating to get through and I would like them to be beatable in a reasonable amount of time by an average player. I will repost after making some edits, and take you guys' feedback into consideration. Thanks

Ranger Von Danger

Just uploaded another version and after playing it I am confident that it improved upon the original. Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

ps. I think the slower start will be made up for by the 2nd half of the game. Let me know what you guys think!

Deadl0ck

Quote from: Ranger Von Danger on June 14, 2021, 06:18:13 PM
Just uploaded another version and after playing it I am confident that it improved upon the original. Thanks for the feedback ya'll!

ps. I think the slower start will be made up for by the 2nd half of the game. Let me know what you guys think!

I actually had a WAY faster start on the second map due to the lack of anticreep generating in the start area.
Also I don't think the new version improves on this map, it's just a less hard fought version of this map.
This map taught me about the power of a fieldgen+emitter+crimson on a mesh path, and the new version provided me with a fun map that the technique can be practiced on with ease.

fraterpotens

This was magnificent!
Beat it with just launchers emitters and an occasional lure.
took a lot longer than it should have because I did not see all the creeper breeder at first so could not figure out why my strategy was not working.
lots of testing and then abandoning different lines of attack, which I love.
and amazing that you give so many EARNs right up front but still make it wicked hard to make progress against the THORs.
THANK YOU