Custom Map #1720: Hovership Commander Mission 1. By: Argonwolf

Started by AutoPost, June 08, 2021, 04:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brainfart

Inspired by Malignantmind, I just thought of a way to make the terraform beam less finicky: Just adjust the hight the beam will terraform to with 1 and 2 and maybe toggle between different sizes with 3. This should make it alot more consistant and intuitive.

Morthica

I play Creeper World 4 for FPS and PAC maps (pretty much). I now also play CW3 for HS maps too - this is the next evolution in FPS maps. This is what I've been wanting.

There are obviously a few bits that need tweaking but myy mann! This is great work.

It took me a few attempts to realise you can't dawdle around and you have to jump straight into expanding off your little island (the lack of missiles made it very frustrating). That last emitter was a fucking ball ache to beat.

My only request is that you change how the terraform works - doing it through the aim crosshair instead of below the ship would make it 10x more enjoyable and natural.

Carry on sir!

CyberDyneSystems

I'm still very excited by these maps, but you have not heard from me for over a week since the first test map, because I have been unable to play through this level.

Every time it force crashes and shuts everything down. At first it was when I opened main menu and "restarted" , this was a guaranteed force close full crash every time. I've played it three more times without attempting a restart, but those all ended with sudden force close crashes as well. Sadly I was actually making progress on the last two tries. :(
I look forward to a time when I can actually play one of these levels.

Argonwolf

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 11, 2021, 06:00:07 PM
I'm still very excited by these maps, but you have not heard from me for over a week since the first test map, because I have been unable to play through this level.

Every time it force crashes and shuts everything down. At first it was when I opened main menu and "restarted" , this was a guaranteed force close full crash every time. I've played it three more times without attempting a restart, but those all ended with sudden force close crashes as well. Sadly I was actually making progress on the last two tries. :(
I look forward to a time when I can actually play one of these levels.

Assuming you have the beta installed I don't know what could be causing them to crash. Are you on GitHub? They have a bug report forum there:
https://github.com/KnuckleCracker/CW4-bug-tracker/issues

CyberDyneSystems

Quote from: Argonwolf on June 12, 2021, 01:11:34 AM

Assuming you have the beta installed I don't know what could be causing them to crash. Are you on GitHub? They have a bug report forum there:
Thanks, stupid question, if CW4 is on STEAM, do I have any say over what version it's running? Isn't it all automatic?

Durikkan

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 12, 2021, 02:12:50 PM
Quote from: Argonwolf on June 12, 2021, 01:11:34 AM

Thanks, stupid question, if CW4 is on STEAM, do I have any say over what version it's running? Isn't it all automatic?

Well you'd have to manually opt in to the mverse beta in the game's properties area in the betas tab, it's not automatic, so you do have a say over that. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

CyberDyneSystems

Well, I'm back to say thanks again, no issues since the Beta install, and again just WOW!

This mod is fantastic!!!

I've been playing mission one for some time, and really enjoyed the challenge and the game play. I learn new controls and abilities and take it one step at a time, there so much to take in! I'm down to the last island, and have just re-read the tips in this thread, so I hope soon I will be able to beat it. This is a TOUCH final push on that island!

Congrats on a fantastic mod, and a very challenging map to learn on.

Argonwolf

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 13, 2021, 03:11:43 AM
Well, I'm back to say thanks again, no issues since the Beta install, and again just WOW!

This mod is fantastic!!!

I've been playing mission one for some time, and really enjoyed the challenge and the game play. I learn new controls and abilities and take it one step at a time, there so much to take in! I'm down to the last island, and have just re-read the tips in this thread, so I hope soon I will be able to beat it. This is a TOUCH final push on that island!

Thank you! Personally I thought the final island was pretty easy once I sealed off the digitalis lines with mortars and quarantined it. At that point I used AC bombs/terra beam to get some 20-high platforms near the edge that I could safely pylon over to. Only real problem then is the eggs that create waves able to wash over the highest points. Then again I had by then spent a lot of time practicing my piloting in various runs to debug the maps.  :P

CyberDyneSystems

Quote from: Argonwolf on June 13, 2021, 03:37:04 PM
Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 13, 2021, 03:11:43 AM

This mod is fantastic!!!

Thank you! Personally I thought the final island was pretty easy once I sealed off the digitalis lines with mortars and quarantined it. At that point I used AC bombs/terra beam to get some 20-high platforms near the edge that I could safely pylon over to. Only real problem then is the eggs that create waves able to wash over the highest points. Then again I had by then spent a lot of time practicing my piloting in various runs to debug the maps.  :P

At this stage, it's my piloting skills that has me bogged down. More specifically, learning to swap tools fast enough to keep up. The terraforming is particularly difficult. I mad the mistake of spending the credits I'd earned, including ship speed, and that has made controlling the terraform beam in "c" view even more difficult. I'd only just gotten used to the reactions of the keypresses with the slower ship. So it's clear terraform is what I need to do, but it's just so slow going. I'll get the hang of it as I work on it. Mybe you could make the main gun firing while using left ALT terraform on by default, it's too many buttons to push!

CyberDyneSystems

Finally got there!
Thanks for such an amazing Mod! Now, when I have time, on to level two :)

Argonwolf

Quote from: CyberDyneSystems on June 14, 2021, 11:40:34 AM
Finally got there!
Thanks for such an amazing Mod! Now, when I have time, on to level two :)

Dunno if it'll help, but level 2 has a keybind menu activated with the backspace key (it tells you about it in the intro popup to the level) since it was a popular request. If you like, you can bind the same key to multiple actions.