Custom Map #1698: PAC - Corrosive Creeper. By: Shatterstep

Started by AutoPost, June 03, 2021, 11:27:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malignantmind

Oh wow I didn't realize that was part of the mod, I thought it was just default blob behavior that I hadn't noticed before. 10/10 good addition though

Shatterstep

Quote from: Malignantmind on June 04, 2021, 11:03:12 PM
Oh wow I didn't realize that was part of the mod, I thought it was just default blob behavior that I hadn't noticed before. 10/10 good addition though

Have to agree. It is nice.

In the base game blob spawners can be set so that they have a % chance to carry an egg. For PAC it is just this map and 2 of Ankheg's. Really hope it becomes a permanent part of PAC though.

Durikkan

Quote from: Malignantmind on June 04, 2021, 11:03:12 PM

It actually is just the default game behavior.  If a blob is set by a blob nest as a carrier, then any egg it gets within 2-3 tiles of gets attached to it, but it's limited to 1 egg.

The PAC mode originally spawned blobs with egg mode disabled, but it's been switched to be always enabled, so basically it spawns as if it was a blob nest set to 100% egg carry chance.   An interesting note is that if you pop the egg it's carrying (such as by clicking), it will grab a new one if it passes within 2-3 tiles of one. 
I'm known as Auri in cw4.

Ankheg

Quote from: Malignantmind on June 04, 2021, 04:43:43 PM
I can honestly say after playing every PAC map so far, I've never once bothered making the stash. It just seems like a waste. I also rarely mess with launchers because it's so easy for them to be rendered useless by snipers or anti-air.

Egg-gen gets more use. It's great if you need to do a big push. Slap an egg-gen down with an emitter or two nearby so it builds up quick, pop all eggs, delete egg-gen so it doesn't eat up any of the newly spawned creeper, and then watch the massive wave wash over everything.

Stash has been an effective tool for me on a lot of maps.  The burst power of the waves can be very useful, and it's not obvious but it does generate creep (stashes multiply the creep they gather).  The downside of stashes is that you need to be able to feed them enough that they go off promptly, and laying down a stash that just sits there barely doing anything wastes time and resources.  Also until my QoL changes if you deleted it the creep it collected went away.  So they were a tool best used with some care, and you usually need a certain minimum creep and ERNs to use them effectively.

Launchers are one of my favorite things, but it's a fine line between face-roll easy and extremely difficult when you build a map.

To Shatterstep:  Great map, and it's really nice to see my QoL changes seeing some use.  Also to be fair, the blobs picking up eggs as they go by was actually Auri's doing.  I just used the code Auri gave me.  I think it's neat, and could give map-makers and players a way for maps to do interesting things.

MrWizard

This is an awesome map. Well designed and thought out. Well put instructions. Amazing.

Shatterstep

For the curious, here are two videos of people playing the map.

The Original BvF (they chose upper-right position)

Angory Tom (they chose upper-left position)

ilmarinen999

Not a bad map by any standards, but there's a way to speed through:

Start in the top left zone, near the bluite nodes. use spawners and a field gen to quickly pick up some ERNs, wreck the towers gathering the bluite, and vitally, start putting pressure on the anti-air towers around the factory.
Next, with the AA towers gone,  get two spores down at the same time next to each other, this is so the spores are practically launched at the same time and will hit roughly at the same time. use them to knock out the M-rifts either side of the factory, then the factory just in case its cache of Arg is enough to rebuild an M-rift.
After that, focus on gathering ERNs. I pushed south. you don't really need more than a couple of spawners to make your progress simple. pour every ERN you aren't using on Field-gen (you only really need one Field-gen) into spore launchers. no Arg production means no AA defence, which means if you can just hound the Lab with spores, you'll be done in under a quarter of an hour, I managed 14:26.

I admit, it's a bit of a cheese, but it worked well, well enough I wanted to point it out. I'm not normally the fastest on these maps.

Shatterstep

Quote from: ilmarinen999 on June 23, 2021, 10:58:25 PM
Not a bad map by any standards, but there's a way to speed through:
I admit, it's a bit of a cheese, but it worked well, well enough I wanted to point it out. I'm not normally the fastest on these maps.

Yep, each position has a different difficulty by design. Top-left is easiest, bottom-center is most challenging. If you are looking for a challenge, try bottom-center.

Hope you enjoyed it.