Key to copy-paste unit with properties in editor

Started by Xindaris, February 17, 2021, 03:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xindaris

I can't find much of anything in the wiki on what the editor keys are. CW3's editor had a very easy way to select a unit (say an emitter) and make another with exactly the same settings. How do I do that in CW4?

Karsten75

Quote from: Xindaris on February 17, 2021, 03:47:38 PM
I can't find much of anything in the wiki on what the editor keys are. CW3's editor had a very easy way to select a unit (say an emitter) and make another with exactly the same settings. How do I do that in CW4?

Tab works, but not perfectly as of yet. There are a couple of open issues in GitHub.

Xindaris

I tried pressing tab with every combination of selecting the unit, hovering my mouse over the unit, and hovering over the target position to paste a new unit that I could think of to no avail. Could you please be more specific about how exactly tab functions for this?

PS I'm having a difficult time composing this to have the nice and friendly tone I intend. I'm sorry if it sounds angrier than I actually am, which is none at all.

Karsten75

Didn't come across as angry at all. :)

For a test, put down a tower (most basic unit in the game), Then de-select it (press "Cancel").

Now hover your mouse over the tower and press "tab" key.

If Tower is not selected, then we need to figure out why. If it is selected, then you understand the mechanism and if you can't copy the unit(s) you want to, please open an issue in GitHub since that's how we get functions fixed.

Xindaris

Okay, I see what you mean. If I put down a tower "as a player" and then hover and push tab, that serves as "pick this unit to build more of now". But I was trying to copy things like spore towers and emitters "as a map editor", because (in this specific case) I had specific settings in mind that I wanted multiple spore towers to all have, and pressing tab while hovering over one of those does nothing. I forget what the hotkeys are without going to look (EDIT: I went to look, and it's just select the unit --> ctrl+c while hovering over the target location), but I know CW3 basically had a "clone this enemy unit with properties" function, and was looking for that.

I haven't used github before myself, but I can go try to submit something. Although I'm not certain whether this counts as "bug report" or "feature request" at this point.

Karsten75

I just tested this and for some units it *does* work in the editor. Not for all, but for some. What I'm looking for is the units you find it doesn't work. If you don't want to go the GitHub route, then you can post here and I'll hopefuly see it and move it to GitHub myself.

PS. I tested it right quick on an emitter and it picked that up.

Xindaris

Okay, I tried some more thorough testing. It works on emitters, decal, and...seemingly nothing else listed in the editor's "units" tab. So..sorry, I may need to unsubmit what I posted in github and resubmit this as seemingly a bug or oversight. Some "units" like the walls I think it's sensible to not have a clone function for, but for resource packs, enemy units, totems and ore, all of which have their own settings one might want to tweak, it would be very helpful.