Custom Map #1394: Challenges: Where's my LS?

Started by AutoPost, August 30, 2012, 02:01:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #1394: Challenges: Where's my LS?

Author: J

Desc:
Rescue your liberation ship before you run out of time or energy!

Helper

This is a very rewarding map to finish, but I think a lot of players will need some hints on getting through it (I know I did).

You are given all of the weapons you need to survive, but the key is to use them properly. You will also need to save often and be prepared to back up and re-start many times. I was saving about every 8-10 seconds and lost count of how many times I re-started.

I'll leave it to the map maker to post any detailed hints, but to win this you have to use your enemy to free your friends.

A tough, but great game.
Enthusiastic thumb's up!

J

I can say I did i without any saving.
Hints (13): Don't read them all at time since all following hints reveal more of the solution and they may take out you're fun. Only use when you're stuck.
Spoiler
There are no fields in this map so there are no unpredictable creeper movements

Getting to the LS (6):
Spoiler
To 'dig' use creeper to make terrain decay
Spoiler
Use repulsors to free the next set of weapons and the gateway
Spoiler
Use some blasters to pass all other units past the emitters
Spoiler
Try it again without these hints and come back here if you still can't finish
Spoiler
You won't need used repulsors again, park them at safe places to distract drones once your LS is free
Spoiler
Simply park a set of 4-8 fully armed blasters around an emitter to make sure all weapons can pass through safely
Spoiler
See if you can get the LS now before looking at the final first-part hint
Spoiler
If you're fast enough you can park your repulsors on the lower right corner before the creeper gets there (activate the repulsors when the creeper breaks through the ground)
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Once you have your LS (6):
Spoiler
Grab the red gem once you can send packets
Spoiler
Your priority should be building reactors
Spoiler
You should try the map again now
Spoiler
You should be able to beat it now, just give it another try
Spoiler
You can use empty disconnected blasters/launchers/repulsors as shield to kill drones
Spoiler
Don't build phantom coils until you have you econemy up and running
Spoiler
Don't (re)build any weapons until you have enough energy production to supply them
Spoiler
Try to use anti-creeper to block dig packets, don't do this if it messes up your econemy too much
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
[close]
Once I have some more hints ready I'll add them here and you'll see the number after 'hints' increasing. If you need more just tell me where the problem is.

This is probably my last CW2 map (30 maps) while it's my first map without any fields.

Helper

Quote from: J on August 30, 2012, 09:14:46 AM
This is probably my last CW2 map (30 maps) while it's my first map without any fields.

I am really sorry to read that!
I think I've played all of your maps and they have been some real barn-burners...unless that means you're going to be focusing on "CW3" maps?

J

Yes I'll be focussing on CW3. But it still doesn't mean I'll never upload any more CW2 maps, I have some non-balanced concepts and I may decide to balance them. But first I'll play around with CW3.

And this map now has more comments than scores and I hardly need some positive votes.

SmileyCoder

Managed to beat it in the 4th try without looking at your hints. Very very impressive map I must say.

I love a map that will really challenge me, and also stay fun without a 10 min cleanup at the end.

I also appreciate a map where its obvious that alot of time was spent getting the speed at which the terrain decays just right, in order to keep the tension going.
I loved it, thank you for making it!
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

fraterpotens

a very delicately balanced map.
fun indeed.
I loved your CW2 maps, and look forward to your CW3 work!

jctreese

I just don't get it at all
Nothing seems to be digging

J

Quote from: fraterpotens on August 31, 2012, 08:29:14 PM
a very delicately balanced map.
fun indeed.
I loved your CW2 maps, and look forward to your CW3 work!
Thanks =)
Quote from: jctreese on September 02, 2012, 12:30:44 PM
I just don't get it at all
Nothing seems to be digging
Added new hint to hint section which should help you out:
Spoiler
To 'dig' use creeper to make terrain decay
[close]
EDIT: After seeing the *huge* amount of scores I want to say to everyone, just ask for hints if you still can't finish!

SmileyCoder

Its sad that great maps like this one only gets 5 scores.

Perhaps you could make a Easier version of it :P
Best of luck with your game,
TheSmileyCoder

TheSmileyCoders YouTube channel feat. tutorials on using Treeviews in Access
I might have promised fool proof, but I never promised user proof.

fitz

Quote from: SmileyCoder on September 14, 2012, 06:54:45 AM
Its sad that great maps like this one only gets 5 scores.

Perhaps you could make a Easier version of it :P

I guess 8 upvotes with only 5 scores is pretty good.

Kithros

If you can manage to get to the LS there's a very very easy way to solve the map:
Spoiler
Use the anti-creeper given by phantoms to block dig packets - you can prevent the gateway from opening everything except for your LS and the emitter right by the gateway, and the 2nd gateway by building shields over anti-creeper (to prevent it from moving) to block the dig packets.
[close]
My time should have quite a bit of room for improvement still.

J

Finally 6 scores! (and 11 upvotes)

The real goal of this map is to get to the LS. I added your hint to the hint section.

Bongo

I liked it. It was very challenging. Only small thing was that after you free your Liberty Ship, and get secure, it's it's kind of boring mopping up for 2 minutes. It might have been slightly better to acquire a capsule to win, maybe back towards the beginning.

People hate hard maps (not me). Maybe for CW3 there will be separate 'difficulty' and 'fun' votes, and only people who finish the map get to vote up/down on the fun part. ;)

J

I must say I was thinking about letting you win by collecting all crystals, but for unknown reasons I didn't do that. Mayby it was a nice cooling-down before showing the final message, can't remember.