[bug] Game state not exactly the same after loading map

Started by florrat, October 16, 2013, 08:50:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

florrat

The following just happened to me.

I was playing a tough map just now, and I saved at a crucial moment. A minute later I reloaded at that point, and a few seconds later the game state was different than at the same moment just after saving, although I didn't do anything differently.

Attached you'll find two screenshots which partly illustrate the problem. Of course I don't have a screenshot just after saving, but the first attached screenshot is just after reloading, and the second one is 5 seconds later (I didn't order any unit in the meantime). Note that one of my collector got destroyed by the creeper. This didn't happen just after saving the game, while I didn't order anything in the five seconds after saving the map.

So I guess some information is not stored perfectly when saving a map. Maybe the shoot cycle of a Mortar is reset? Or maybe some random seed is loaded differently which causes Mortars to shoot at a different location?

It is not a big deal, but it can matter in some cases (in this case I might have had a shot in this map if I could terraform the terrain 1 level higher, while that is not pretty much impossible).

florrat

This happened to me again a few minutes later. Because it seemed that this bug is reproducible, I tried to reproduce it, and I could. Mortar targeting is indeed different just after saving than just after loading.

Below 4 screenshots.
The first one is 1 frame after saving
The second one is 4.3 seconds later, having not done anything in between
The third one is 1 frame after loading
The fourth on is 4.3 seconds later, having not done anything in between

As you can see the bottom-right Mortar targeted a different cell the second time. As I said before, this is not very important, but in my opinion this is a bug.

Just curious: does the mortar target depend on randomness? Is the random seed different each time you load the game?