Skip Farbor?

Started by Roadrunner, October 29, 2013, 07:26:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadrunner

Farbor is really annoying me. Are the rest of the missions that hard too? I wish I could just skip Farbor. Its ruining the whole game for me.

Is there any sort of Save Game Editor or would anyone be willing to share a savefile with Farbor beaten?

Thanks!
Roadrunner

Word choices - G.

pawel345

If it's too hard, maybe try to read the hints on the forums there are several topics about Farbor. Also there should be a walktrough video somewhere.
The map editor can open and edit saves, but they will be then treated as a different map so it won't serve your purpose.

Roadrunner

I've seen the walkthroughs, I just cant keep up for some reason. I either run out of energy and a critical relay gets blown, or I time my drops a tad off so the relay isn't built before the cannon/shield/morter (whatever) runs out of power. And you cant drop those energy ships to make up for the lag because of the shield thing.

eduran

I've attached my Farbor end-of mission autosave. Try putting that into C:\Users\<username>\Documents\CreeperWorld3\data\sectors\internal\1\story_5 ( Win 8 ) and loading it. Not sure if it will let you advance the campaign, I've never imported a savegame for a campaign mission.

Roadrunner

I was able to load it - but it didn't register the win. I suspect I need a mid level save so I blow up the ship myself. I bet I could do it once I had a foothold on the middle Island.

Thank you for trying!!!

-Roadrunner

eduran

Just noticed I've got another save game for that mission. Let's see if it works with this one.

Roadrunner

Thanks! I'll give it a shot when I get home. This whole "work" thing really eats into my CW3 time. :)

Clean0nion

If you need to - this is very difficult - it is possible to destroy one or more of the ore collector thingies just as the game begins. You'll find out how to do it in the "Farbor." topic that I created. I didn't actually do that when I Farbor'd, but it helps.

Earlh21

What I did was ignored the ship while it's building, and just attacked the top right of the island, so when it was done building, I had plenty of time to get to it.

teknotiss

Quote from: Earlh21 on October 29, 2013, 01:33:54 PM
What I did was ignored the ship while it's building, and just attacked the top right of the island, so when it was done building, I had plenty of time to get to it.

good idea, try this roadrunner, secure the two islands with only one emitter on each.
ignore the ore collectors, don't use "their" ore deposits either.
build a decent economy on each in less than 15/20 mins, then you have 10 mins for a strike from both islands. berthas are pretty effective, use them to "walk" onto the emitter that the ship flies to to keep deep creeper away from your units, remember you can land a CN inside AEZ''s
good luck anyway
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent.... Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent.... Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil?.... Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" --- Epicurus

Loyal

Given OP's complaints I'm assuming that the speedy-bypass-shenanigans methods simply won't work for him - as he simply can't pull them off.

So, the slow path.

Claim the upper-left and lower-right islands. Crawl along. Keep building reactors to keep your energy income up, one or two at a time, while you work your way to the emitters. This is important since you need to build lots of snipers. Three Snipers per ore field will prevent any collector ships from collecting ore, and you will substantially slow down the rate at which the ship builds. You can slightly save on energy costs (and drastically increase anti-collector effectiveness) by throwing a sniper on the Power Zones you create as you move along, but that's just something to keep in mind.

Anyway, once you've cleared the lower right island, start bombing the central island with mortars, for later. Berthas will also help if you want to get the thicker creeper in back. Makes it easier to claim a foothold when you're ready to do so. You should, in the meantime, work on the lower-left island from both sides. Build six or so extra snipers on your home bases and keep them in reserve, because once you're claimed enough land, you want to immediately move those snipers into position to cover the lower-left ore fields.

Otherwise, I can't really offer any advice but to play better.

• Make sure you aren't starving yourself of energy, especially while building. Deactivate (hotkey: X) buildings if you're running a deficit. One completed structure is better than two half-built, so if you have more than one competing for energy, deactivate one and let the other build unopposed.
  • By the same token, don't let energy go to waste. If your command centers are storing the maximum amount of energy, any more energy you produce is vanishing into thin air. Always spend your energy on something, whether it's more weapons, reactors, whatever. Start construction on tons of buildings all at once, if you like, and deactivate all but one or two to make it easier to manage, then reactivate the buildings when you can afford to actually make them.
  • Press your advantage whenever you have it. As soon as the creeper in front grows thin enough, move your blasters forward one or two at a time, and keep your mortars behind them.
  • Use shields if you can afford them since shields and blasters can "leapfrog" over each other very effectively. If you can't afford shields, the one uncontested orefield you get on each island should be enough to feed a single Sprayer each, which is a nice substitute.

MatrixQ

Loyal's tactic is pretty solid. I would add that the best vantage point for an attack is from the lower right island. Jump left and then up over the small island.

Let the upper left island build the forge, as soon as it has cleared its emitter, so you get some upgrades in. Since you won't need any of the upper lefts energy for anything, build a fleet of guppies to help out the lower left island in the attack.

Controlling both islands simultaneously is key to this map, I think. It's a lot of multitasking, more so than other maps, but it is doable.

Roadrunner

Woo! I just did it! Thanks for all the pointers everyone. I took a bit of everyone strategy (both here and in other threads) and came up with something that worked for me.

I took the two main islands (top left and bottom right) Used the one at the top left as my "launch point" and used the one at the bottom right as a feeder using lots of guppies and reactors to deliver energy to the top left. Also built 3 bertha's and had one on the PZ. Crawled onto the main island and went slow with lots of shields..... Finished with 7 mins left! WOO!

Thanks all!

-Roadrunner

Roadrunner

• Make sure you aren't starving yourself of energy, especially while building. Deactivate (hotkey: X) buildings if you're running a deficit. One completed structure is better than two half-built, so if you have more than one competing for energy, deactivate one and let the other build unopposed.
  • By the same token, don't let energy go to waste. If your command centers are storing the maximum amount of energy, any more energy you produce is vanishing into thin air. Always spend your energy on something, whether it's more weapons, reactors, whatever. Start construction on tons of buildings all at once, if you like, and deactivate all but one or two to make it easier to manage, then reactivate the buildings when you can afford to actually make them.

This was key - lots of pausing when energy was in red or when it was full.... Which is just as bad. :)

Kirksman

Quote from: eduran on October 29, 2013, 09:38:54 AMJust noticed I've got another save game for that mission. Let's see if it works with this one.

Hello, sorry for digging up an SUPER old thread. But I was wondering, where do I put this save file? I've tried looking in the documents folder that other people have said, but I can't find any save files there even though I'm at Farbor.