Titan Suggestions

Started by ShadowDragon7015, February 24, 2013, 02:01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theogeer

Quote from: hoodwink on June 05, 2013, 09:57:00 AM
Shields. Watch 'The march'.

The code for 'pushing' of creeper is already there and used, as is 'pulling' the creeper.

Sweet. I forgot about the shields.

CobraKill

AC Digital Network:

A titan unit that creates friendly digitals and runners. The player paints the area s/he wants to be filled with AC digitals. It works like a normal emitter and creates digitals at the same rate. It also makes runners to roam on the digitals. They shoot at creeper with beams, but are extremely weak. The player gets to pick how many runners there are. The unit doesn't create an AC, but requests an amount of AC proportional to the amount of AC digitals. It requests energy proportional to the number of runners. If it can't get energy, the runners die, and if it can't get AC the digitals die. It would take a big amount of energy and AC.
Never trust a computer that doesn't fit through your nearest window.

Kingo

I think it's an excellent idea!
My only suggestions would be for an aircraft to drop it from orbit (sorta like a carpet bomb, because lets face it, everything is better with carpet bombs!) and one must build towers to expand the digitalis out, like a good-old fashioned phalanx formation.

Neko187

Quote from: Kingo on June 03, 2013, 09:04:48 PM
Quote from: Sushiman118 on June 03, 2013, 04:27:35 PM
the HYENA [High Yield ENtropic Armament]

[text]

So basically... it creates a dead zone?
I would like the option to use this. Would make for some interesting choice-based custom maps...
Do you struggle to take the high ground, or do you just nuke it and turn it into a dead zone and move on?
My only suggestion is for it to be able to destroy creeper.
It basically creates an area of high entropy [chaos]
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

Maric

My idea would be a cosmic bombardment caller(i dont have a good name for it), but it basically would be charged with a lot of power to use the planet as a sort of giant resonance body for altering the magnetic/gravitational field to basically pull particle storms (sun wind, cosmic background, all that stuff) onto it. After healthy delay (like a minute or so) EVERYTHING on the map would be getting damaged, eroding big surface areas covered by creeper and the units in your own base unless covered by a shield. Every shield would also start absorbing power at its maximum rate to block the cosmic bombardment. Even when you stop the titan, the storm will continue for the same time delay to give a bigger risk to it and also because the particles are still drawn to the planet for a while.

I like it, since its easily balancable with the amount of creeper it erodes (one layer per 10 seconds?) and has a drawback that can cost you the game if you dont have energy reserves.

Kingo

Welcome to the forums maric!

To build slightly on maric's idea, I think that maps should have a random chance of displaying "weather" or things like solar flares, that are not planet wide, but smaller.
The size, and the destructive power could be randomly generated.

Neko187

I'd like to see an end-all weapon... NOVA :)
[Nothing Outshines Virgil's Awesomeness  ::)]
Just does what it says. makes a star go supernova. not sure how this could be implemented, but novas are cool :D
Everything is too long a list to work with.
No one knows everything about anything.
No one knows something about everything.
Everyone knows something about something.
Anyone could be the world's foremost expert on something.
Anyone who thinks that just because they didn't already know a thing, it must not be true or important, is an idiot.
-OSC

Flicker

I always thought something like the old Ion Cannon from the C&C games would be fun.  Massive charge time, cost, power requirements, and you can call an orbital blast to cut through extreme depth creeper in a hurry.

Something that maybe has a radius of a Bertha shot, but is guaranteed to hit the ground beneath when fired.  I suppose the balance on something that powerful would be a long recharge time, like 3 packets a tick for 5 minutes.

J

Quote from: Flicker on June 24, 2013, 10:55:57 PM
I always thought something like the old Ion Cannon from the C&C games would be fun.  Massive charge time, cost, power requirements, and you can call an orbital blast to cut through extreme depth creeper in a hurry.

Something that maybe has a radius of a Bertha shot, but is guaranteed to hit the ground beneath when fired.  I suppose the balance on something that powerful would be a long recharge time, like 3 packets a tick for 5 minutes.
So that's pretty much a bertha that needs more time and energy to recharge?

Kingo

Berthas already can target anywhere on the map.
To allow for something like an orbital weapon but has enough differences that puts it in its own niche might be an atmospheric weather generator.
By this I mean solar storms, particle clouds, fluctuating gravity fields, etc.
The titan allows a person to select the type of weather they want, and duration. The amount of energy needed to charge up the unit would be dependent on the weather type, and the cost would either go up or down depending on the duration.
Factors like direction it moves (whether it moves at all) and area of effect might be randomized by the game engine. The storm can affect your own units, though, and gravity fields will affect both creeper and anticreeper (like in CW2)

Flicker

Weather manipulation could be neat, I personally just wonder how much control you could realistically give the player without it breaking the game.  I have an image of a Titan as being something that that is very macro game, it won't let you get in for the kill, but it can help control the map as a whole.  Randomization makes this kind of control very hard, and would need crazy powerful effects to balance the risks.  If something has a chance of destroying or significantly hindering me, it would have to have the chance to do that to the creeper as well or it would be too risky to use, and if it only was a minor inconvenience to either side it just wouldn't feel powerful to use.

Something like a one shot per map item that blew a hole through the bottom into space, basically a permanent creeper sink, would feel epic to use.  It could cost 1000 packets to fire it and have to maintain constant energy the entire time or it will lose all power and need to restart.  It would feel like a super-weapon, not in and of itself game breaking because it's cost would mean maintaining a serviceable defense while you prepare for a massive assault on a crazy fortified position, or charge it to destroy that one structure that is in such a hard to assault location that is is impeding your advance.  Most maps of course can be won by overbuilding of course so that kind of weapon with its cost and power could probably be done with smaller units over time.

Other ideas like perhaps having a structure that charges over time and then allows for a 30 second time freeze on the creeper to allow you to move your units up that ridge and get collectors in place, or hold off that wave that just crested the wall you were not watching and get anti air into place for a vulnerable spot.

Perhaps pulling from my previous idea you could have an orbital weapon, though in this case instead of a single pulse it could be a beam that can rake across the map, and rather then destroy the creeper, it rather leaves it untouched and instead rips a layer or two out of the ground beneath it making a trench that can be bombed more defensibly then a plain or channel the creeper away from a location.

I like the idea of something like the conversion bomb except instead of changing the creeper to anti creeper it instead creates a massive shockwave in a specified direction, throwing a massive amount of creeper to the edges of the map and onto the far terrain forcing it to flow back down to its previous position, not directly destroying any but throwing it back and giving openings to attack with more conventional weapons. You could open an area then attempt to flood it with anti creeper or you could throw the creeper into a prepared area already flooded with anti creeper and attempt to destroy it that way.

I am not saying modifying the weather so that an electric storm zaps randomly on the map taking out some of your collectors and a bunch of creeper doesn't sound interesting, or that having wind push the creeper in a direction couldn't be useful, it just doesn't feel like something you would call a titan.  A titan in my mind is something you call in when you need to make an impact, when time is of the essence and you are willing to pay premium for it, or when you are faced with a massive wall, and sometimes just need to make your own door in.  If you really like the natural element you could have something which basically pulls in a meteor from space that crash lands on the map within a vague area of your choosing, destroying the creeper under it in a cataclysm of fire and creating a hill or ridge with which to posture for an attack, somewhere just large enough for a single weapon and a guppy to land.  If it feels to powerful let it only be used once like some of my other ideas.

I apologize for the large wall of text, I just personally feel that a titan should be battle shaping, not something you place down as a mainstay or as a general use item, I love the Bertha but it is the kind of tool you can make a bank of just to do damage.  Powerful maybe, but it just doesn't FEEL epic, it feels like artillery, a way to soften the battlefield for your conventional weapons, rather then a way reshape the battle for better or for worse.  I personally would love the ability to blow a hole straight through the map, even if I could only do it once, put in the right location it will change the entire flow of the map.  Imagine having a tool that could be used on a huge charge time to turn an entire random layer of creeper on the map into anti creeper, smashing up it's flow for a short time, and giving small areas of possible safe haven for a period to advance.  Have an item that supercharges the star in the region, causing massive heat to cover the battlefield causing constant damage to all your structures for as long as it was activated but continuously burning the top layer of all exposed creeper and anti creeper on the entire map, could be used in conjunction with a repair device like a drone that will deploy and repair structures for packets making the cost of using such a weapon a matter of economy just as much as a matter attack.  Make the system a one time toggle, no going back kind of idea, if you push this button the creeper will be forced back at a staggering rate, but if you are not prepared it can and will destroy you just as fast if not faster.  make it able to be toggled on or off at three minute intervals (to avoid people just turning it on and off to let normal repair keep their structures fine while still doing big damage) and have it be a possible tactic for a defensive game where you are at a disadvantage, on a lone ridge with barely enough room for building, perhaps you make a small power grid, the weapon, and some sort of repair system to keep your entire system going for as long as possible, then turning it on and hoping to hold out long enough to gain a better foothold on the map.

Once again I apologize, I do love many of the ideas I have read, and most of them sound both fun and effective at their chosen task, I just don't feel like they are "TITAN".  They should feel powerful, they should cost a fortune either in energy or risk, they should be a choice in deciding if you want to invest in such a hefty piece of equipment which from that point on will become a center point to your tactics.  Make them a 1 time if they are super weapons, or make them economy draining so you simply cannot maintain your defenses and have the titan work constantly.  Not sure if this is the kind of thing most people want, but when I use a titan, I want the battlefield to be rocked, if only for a moment and for the effects to have a lasting and effect.

tornado

Your one shot make a hole in the map weapon is
Nice but overpowerd
Why not just blow a hole through the warp
Restricter and every enemy on the field will explode
At once

Did you think of that
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one

Grauniad

Quote from: tornado on July 15, 2013, 04:04:28 PM
Your one shot make a hole in the map weapon is
Nice but overpowerd
Why not just blow a hole through the warp
Restricter and every enemy on the field will explode
At once

Did you think of that

Now that seems a bit overpowered. :)
A goodnight to all and to all a good night - Goodnight Moon

Kingo

That is exactly like Thor from CW1... it just makes the map gameplay mop-up extra creeper.

tornado

Yes but the Thor didn't make a hole straight
Through the map.it drove into a black hole.
As they say:needs must when the devil drives.

Also I consider it my job to exploit cheats that make
The game easier
Also that one shot hole weapon could be done
With CPRL
Now CEO of Particular Endeavors. http://knucklecracker.com/forums/index.php?topic=23752.new#new
We apologize for all inconveniences that we caused.
Quotefirst, you have to imagine a very big box, fitting inside a very samll box.
then, you have to build one