Custom Map #10583: 165-J.-T.B.. By: Rennervate / AlexX

Started by AutoPost, March 22, 2023, 04:25:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AutoPost

This topic is for discussion of map #10583: 165-J.-T.B.

Author: Rennervate / AlexX
Size: 255x255

Desc:

wolfgoesmoo

Fun, but not particularly tough once you get a handle on the start.

wolfgoesmoo

Quote from: EEderle on March 23, 2023, 05:18:03 AMAny hint for the start?

Sure. Vague hint:

Spoiler
You don't have enough weapons to easily defend your initial base...
[close]

More specific hint:

Spoiler
The initial creeper from the left and right are pretty slow. You can actually run collectors out to the cannon pickups there and then establish a cannon on the chokepoint on either side, keeping the creeper and digitalis away from the nests there. Build up collectors on the platform to support your energy needs, and then a single sprayer can defend you from most of the creeper on from the north. Some mortars on the north end can help keep the other narrow tunnel of creeper from the right and left off your back and support the sprayer. The emitter to the north is vulnerable to strafers, and once you've cut it off from the digitalis the mortars should disconnect it from the other side and you can use sprayers to collect the weapons to the north and nullify that emitter. After that you can work on the left and right sides one at a time.
[close]

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: wolfgoesmoo on March 22, 2023, 10:46:17 PMFun, but not particularly tough once you get a handle on the start.

I've got the reverse problem--the start wasn't a problem but now that I've taken everything across the bottom I see nothing I can do.

wolfgoesmoo

Quote from: Loren Pechtel on March 23, 2023, 12:16:43 PM
Quote from: wolfgoesmoo on March 22, 2023, 10:46:17 PMFun, but not particularly tough once you get a handle on the start.

I've got the reverse problem--the start wasn't a problem but now that I've taken everything across the bottom I see nothing I can do.

You can brute force the right side emitter on the outcropping below the shield a little more easily than the left side one because it's not as protected by AE. It's possible there's a more elegant approach but I just use strafers and bombers and kept landing stuff until I could establish a beachhead and nullify it.

Martin Gronsdal

nice map. I went west, north, east, then that outer path around and to middle (of top)

10/10

rennervate

thanks for playing and commenting. for me the fastest way (2:03 h) after securing the south was to attack the middle. from there the simultaneously west, east and the islands.
-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

D0m0nik

Another epic map.

Not much to add strategy wise, the limited units do rather dictate direction. I would say once you choose to go left or right it is worth forgetting the other side for a while and focus on securing the very centre of the map as this opens up bridging across to the little islands. You can attack top whilst then also cleaning up the neglected side. Also worth using guppies and strafers to establish an early foot hold on the top right islands, a PZ opens up which gives you access to a totem.

rennervate

-------------------------------------------------------
aka: AlexX

D0m0nik

You are doing a fine job of slowing me down though! 1hr 17 is probably my longest time yet on your maps.

wolfgoesmoo

Quote from: rennervate on March 24, 2023, 05:51:07 AMthanks for playing and commenting. for me the fastest way (2:03 h) after securing the south was to attack the middle. from there the simultaneously west, east and the islands.

Hmm. Where can you nullify from?

Loren Pechtel

Quote from: rennervate on March 24, 2023, 05:51:07 AMthanks for playing and commenting. for me the fastest way (2:03 h) after securing the south was to attack the middle. from there the simultaneously west, east and the islands.

Huh?  You don't have the reach to hit anything in the middle until you come in from a side.

I finally managed to crack the right side and from that point on it was simply like your maps--tough but once you get a decent start I can beat them.

EEderle

I cleared everything but the map is still open????

Martin Gronsdal

I would guess you didn't pick up all pickups (the green squares)