Sorrontis' Inane Ramblings & Shower Thoughts

Started by Sorrontis, September 15, 2016, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GoodMorning

Agreed.

I have built the "Juggernaut", which worked. Then the power ran out, and the request rate wasn't enough. Thor-like, really.

The "Brick" was somewhat expensive, but useful in situations where the Lathe wasn't quite tough or fast enough. By the "Brick III", it was shielded, and came equipped with the mobile power necessary to run three lathes while shielded.

The "Powerhouse" is one of the more useful unarmed ships, followed by the "Micro" (or "Missile", to use the alternate name). The "Powerhouse II" has "Micro" sockets, clears/fixes plasma, and takes 10min to build.

The "MicroLathe" is small enough to fit in the sockets of the "Powerhouse II", and is cheap enough to replace regularly from that ship's copious storage.
A narrative is a lightly-marked path to another reality.

Karsten75

Just a note. Regardless of the capacity of a tanker, it can only resupply other ships at a maximum rate of 30 packets/second. One supply ship cannot sustain an entire fleet during sustained battles.

planetfall

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 16, 2016, 11:08:53 PM
Just a note. Regardless of the capacity of a tanker, it can only resupply other ships at a maximum rate of 30 packets/second. One supply ship cannot sustain an entire fleet during sustained battles.

[citation needed]

A tanker seems to be able to dispatch an unlimited number of packets/sec, but it can only refill from an energy mine at 30/sec - so yes when it is overexerted, that is the limit. However, if you have a tanker outside mine range being fed by one inside mine range, it can still use its guppies while receiving packets from the other tanker, allowing it to deliver more than 30 packets/sec.
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

jaworeq

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 16, 2016, 07:08:30 PM
I am proud to unveil the Embargo Titan Class Vessel.

A demonstration of its power!

That's how I roll in nearly every map, just have to use other ships to do the embargo part ;)

GoodMorning

My tanker-oid build ("Powerhouse") can supply energy to other ships while stunned, due to the number of Reactors present. I don't know if this is a feature of Reactors, or a bug in Stunners?

The "Powerhouse" cannot resupply anything which is within mine range either. This becomes an issue on a map I am building. The solution will be to use the standard energy supply for your base only, and for the fleet to be supplied by power ships. However, sometimes I have loaded energy tanks (and a port module) in range of a ship which is building, and because there is a Mine in range, it will not tap the tanks. Delete the mine, and the other ship is drained, resulting in faster builds.

Also, there must be a cap on port eps. I have had multiple loaded tanker-oid ships trying to supply my "Juggernaut" build, but it couldn't drain them fast enough.

Finally, the "Berthoid". Almost forty minutes to build, double layer of armour, eight MK7s, seven engines, two tanks, and 39 Reactors. Remaining space filled with lasers and particle beams. It still can't supply itself, but a nearby "Powerhouse" makes up the difference.

knucracker

Tankers won't supply anything in range of a mine, unless it is really starved.  That really only happens after the bridge is built, since bridge construction takes place at a regulated rate.
Tankers (ports) also have a limit of 30 packets per second.  If you need more, you have to get creative with additional tankers and possibly fleet arrangement.

The reason tankers don't supply ships in mine range is because it creates a situation where you are building a tanker and it won't fill up because it is trying to supply other ships nearby that you are building.  So it is 'reluctant' to supply ships in the range of a mine with energy.

Karsten75

Quote from: planetfall on September 16, 2016, 11:29:52 PM

[citation needed]

A tanker seems to be able to dispatch an unlimited number of packets/sec, but it can only refill from an energy mine at 30/sec - so yes when it is overexerted, that is the limit. However, if you have a tanker outside mine range being fed by one inside mine range, it can still use its guppies while receiving packets from the other tanker, allowing it to deliver more than 30 packets/sec.

Quote from: virgilw on September 17, 2016, 09:45:31 AM
Tankers won't supply anything in range of a mine, unless it is really starved.  That really only happens after the bridge is built, since bridge construction takes place at a regulated rate.
Tankers (ports) also have a limit of 30 packets per second.  If you need more, you have to get creative with additional tankers and possibly fleet arrangement.

The reason tankers don't supply ships in mine range is because it creates a situation where you are building a tanker and it won't fill up because it is trying to supply other ships nearby that you are building.  So it is 'reluctant' to supply ships in the range of a mine with energy.

That good enough for you? :)

planetfall

Quote from: Karsten75 on September 17, 2016, 11:28:40 AM
Quote from: planetfall on September 16, 2016, 11:29:52 PM
snip
snip

Quote from: virgilw on September 17, 2016, 09:45:31 AM
snip

That good enough for you? :)

Just so we're all on the same page... we're talking 30 packets per second per destination ship, not 30 packets per second total per port, right? The screenshot I posted seems to confirm the former. If that's not the intended behavior, consider this a bug report. :)
Pretty sure I'm supposed to be banned, someone might want to get on that.

Quote from: GoodMorning on December 01, 2016, 05:58:30 PM"Build a ladder to the moon" is simple as a sentence, but actually doing it is not.

Karsten75

Should be the port can supply 30 packets. Never tried a ship w multiple ports.

Sorrontis

What just happened to my thread? It was supposed to be all about me  ;D ;D :P (j/k)
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

Karsten75

Quote from: Sorrontis on September 17, 2016, 12:03:36 PM
What just happened to my thread? It was supposed to be all about me  ;D ;D :P (j/k)

Who are you again? :P

knucracker

Quote from: planetfall on September 17, 2016, 11:40:01 AM
Just so we're all on the same page... we're talking 30 packets per second per destination ship, not 30 packets per second total per port, right? The screenshot I posted seems to confirm the former. If that's not the intended behavior, consider this a bug report. :)

Yeah, I think that is the limit actually.  I have CW1,2,3, and PF packet scheduling all in my head and they are all the same and different in subtle ways.  For PF each command module is allowed to request up to 1 packet per frame.  They do that so the requests can all be sorted based on a whole slew of criteria.  That's where the 30 pps limit comes from.

I could have gone back for another sweep across "packets requesters", but decided the performance hit from that wouldn't be worth encouraging even larger ships.  So I left the natural constraint which encourages tighter ships.  In terms of lore, we might say that a single ship can only process energy so fast, hence the limitation and the resulting problem some large ships can have.

Sorrontis

The long awaited Sorrontis map!

This is it. No PRPL

Also, holy jumpers, the music gives me a feel of Battlestar Galactica. Which is inspiring my next map.
"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion."

GoodMorning

Thanks for clarifying. So, one port can supply all the power you need, provided that there is power to send. If you need more than 30eps, your build will require Reactors.

For mine-range, could the ships request power first from the mine(s), and then from ships? I have found myself actively deleting an overtaxed mine, so that the ships building off it could tap the nearby tanker. The build rate went up sharply. I doubt that this is the intended behaviour.

Ovalcircle

I was playing an exchange map and the blue ships and a doppel decided to travel to the next exchange map.
[REDACTED]

"If you are good at something, never do it."