Day 20 - Tips

Started by Gman, May 19, 2011, 10:06:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Krell

I like taking my time and hate micro'ing dark beams. Up until the end I just spam shields and conversion bombs. drones aren't big fans of shields. And I actually ran out of energy my first playthrough because I spammed blasters. On my second playthrough I just said "forget this" and let the enemy drones eat my shields. it wasn't like I couldn't make more, and they were killing better than the blasters.

Ebon Heart

Quote from: Fisherck on May 23, 2011, 02:03:48 PM
3 minutes 1 second. 8)

The key to this map is just rushing it. You have the energy, so do not worry about wasting it...
rushing the map (to me) is a lot less fun. I like the epic battle against swarms of uber powerful drones while trying to get nullifiers up, and chip away at the nexus's defense.
When the going gets tough, the tough get going. The smart left a long time ago.
Check out the amazing A Tragedy Forgotten CW2 map series!

DethbyIT

Quote from: Krell on May 24, 2011, 08:04:49 PM
"...eat my shields...

What a great quote - needs to be in a CW2 HOF somewhere.
As for the Uber players we have, I really do salute your ability to finish these games in the incredible times you have.

For me, the fun is in (1) figuring out how to survive and (2) working my way through all the obstacles to the finish. Oh, and (3) I couldn't do those kinds of times anyway - so there might be a touch of rationalization on my part.

I think that - in the end - we all agree that CW2 is some amazing work by Virgil.

Ebon Heart

no arguments here. And on a lot of maps, there's some fun challenges like, beat level 19 without capping any emitters or gateways, things like that. (I haven't tried that yet, but I plan to soon)

Ionizer

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 25, 2011, 05:11:42 PM
no arguments here. And on a lot of maps, there's some fun challenges like, beat level 19 without capping any emitters or gateways, things like that. (I haven't tried that yet, but I plan to soon)

That sounds interesting... done!  That was kind of a pain.    I finally managed to get to the last bunker with stable power levels.  I let it run for a while to make sure.

(Click below for a bigger image)

creeper killer

wait, I'm just curious, is it  possible to get to the nexus before it is completed? or id that just for the story line?
Quoteyou will be assimilated into the herd, resistance is futile
(picture's too big :( )
just though I'd let you guys know :)

Kithros

It is possible if you know what you're doing - but truthfully anyone able to do it probably wouldn't  have had any trouble beating it normally anyway. The nexus finishes at 2:58 (if you don't kill any of the creeper around it), and if the creeper around it dies then it stops increasing.

TonyP2000

Personally, I am just having trouble breaking into the first layer of dense creeper and drones without all those super drones coming out and wrecking all my stuff.
Vote Tony!

Krell

Can we get a video of someone beating it before the nexus is up?

Kithros

For the beginning of the map, probably the easiest way to do it is to just mass lots of blasters/launchers at the beginning with a few conversion bombs, and head straight for the middle chamber while using conversion bombs with shields on the left and right chambers, and just charge lots of blasters and launchers into the middle chamber - the spoiler has an image of the general strategy I use (though when going for high scores i build stuff a bit differently and tech domes and such, but the general idea is the same). Once you clear out the middle chamber you can deal with the rest of the map at your own pace - don't bother using blasters or launchers for creeper anywhere else on the map though, the creeper is too dense for anything other than dark beams/conversion bombs to clear it out essentially. Before entering the last chamber you should have lots of dark beams ready, but turn off any of them you don't need once the drones are cleared out. You'll need both dark beams and conversion bombs to damage the boss.

Spoiler
[close]

TonyP2000

I tried this, I didn't move in fast enough and ended up getting murked by those super drones.
Spoiler
Seriously though, those things will rampage through five blasters and set of a CB or two before being destroyed.
[close]
I am going to try  again later but I have to be twice as fast...
Vote Tony!

Ebon Heart

Quote from: TonyP2000 on May 29, 2011, 10:03:07 AM
I tried this, I didn't move in fast enough and ended up getting murked by those super drones.
Spoiler
Seriously though, those things will rampage through five blasters and set of a CB or two before being destroyed.
[close]
I am going to try  again later but I have to be twice as fast...
A tip... keep your dark beams AWAY from that pit, and target through mirrors. If you have your dark beams right at the opening to that super drone pit... One explosion means 100 packets worth of work, and minus one uber beam.

Katra

Quote from: Ebon_Heart on May 29, 2011, 10:15:38 AM
A tip... keep your dark beams AWAY from that pit, and target through mirrors.

I kept using the same dark beam I put at ground level to clear the upper levels. Just move mirrors. (Plus three more addedd just above the bottom chamber.)
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!

creeper killer

just use C-bombs on the very left and right pits, then just dark beam everything in an effective way, use nullifiers here and there too, it's a a lot faster than waiting for a dark beam to destroy something.
Quoteyou will be assimilated into the herd, resistance is futile
(picture's too big :( )
just though I'd let you guys know :)

Katra

Yep; I used a lot of conversion bombs on creeper pools.
Power. Power! I must have more POWER!